X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book opinions wanted

Gents,
    Been having a look around for a few books and found this:

Red Star Against the Swastika: The Story of a Soviet Pilot Over the Eastern Front - by Vasily B Emelianenko

Anybody read it and if so what did you think? Looks interesting!

Also, what books on WW2 would our Russian members think I should buy?
    Wolster

I did not read this book, sorry.

I would recommend you the books by V.V.Karpov, WW2 veteran (scout officer), Hero of the Soviet Union. He is a very good historian and writer, IMHO. He writes seriously and easy and interesting to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolster View Post
      Gents,
      Been having a look around for a few books and found this:

Red Star Against the Swastika: The Story of a Soviet Pilot Over the Eastern Front - by Vasily B Emelianenko

Anybody read it and if so what did you think? Looks interesting!

I have read it, it's an excellent book and I would highly recommend it. You can look through my library:
      http://www.librarything.com/catalog/akagodsent
      Maybe you'll find something interesting there. On top switch where it says 'books' to 'tags' and search for eastern front.
      "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
      "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
      "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

It depends on the subject you'd like to learn about...

In the past few years enough large number of interesting books was published as well as a giant number of junk
        If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Yes, as AMVAS points out, please be more specific as WWII, especially on the Eastern Front, encompasses a lot of literature.
          "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
          "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
          "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose I am really looking for what you gents think is a good, balanced and fair account of a Russian soldiers life during WW2. I often see books you DON't like, but what books, in English, DO you like?
            Wolster

Comment

Originally posted by Kunikov View Post
              I have read it, it's an excellent book and I would highly recommend it. You can look through my library:
              http://www.librarything.com/catalog/akagodsent
              Maybe you'll find something interesting there. On top switch where it says 'books' to 'tags' and search for eastern front.
              That is a very interesting site!! Thanks for the link.
              Wolster

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose I am really looking for what you gents think is a good, balanced and fair account of a Russian soldiers life during WW2. I often see books you DON't like, but what books, in English, DO you like?
                There is no one all encompassing book like that, I'd recommend you read as many memoirs which have been translated recently into English and get a general picture from them, you can again find many in my 'library' which I provided a link for. From cavalrymen to partisans, snipers, infantrymen, and those in penal units, today a lot of information is available for interested readers.

Comment

John Erickson's duo of books, Road to Stalingrad and Road to Berlin, are great reading material and gave me a great insight into the war.

I know Glantz' books are the best for research and scholastic quality, but they aren't something you can be absorbed into as easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                    John Erickson's duo of books, Road to Stalingrad and Road to Berlin, are great reading material and gave me a great insight into the war.

I know Glantz' books are the best for research and scholastic quality, but they aren't something you can be absorbed into as easily.
                    Erickson's two books are a nice introduction but they are dated, although to date no one has been able to match the amount of information packed into that two volume set. I would recommend Mawdsley's "Thunder in the East" which is a good new short history of the war based on many new secondary Russian sources (can't recall how many, if any, were primary).

Comment

Has anyone read Slaughterhouse: The Handbook of the Eastern Front?

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                        Has anyone read Slaughterhouse: The Handbook of the Eastern Front?
                        I have it, it's a pretty good reference.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

You can try reading.
                          http://www.iremember.ru/index.php?lang=en

They have plenty of raw emoirs to read...

Regards
                          Alex
                          If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kunikov View Post
                            I have it, it's a pretty good reference.
                            Kunikov, you say it is a good refference... But what losses does this book give for the RKKA?

Does it give the following:
                            Russia (military) 25 million
                            Russia (civillian) 26 million

Germany (military) 3-4 million
                            Germany (civillian) 5-6 million

or this:
                            - Official Soviet battle deaths (Army, Navy, NKVD units): 29,629,205
                            - Actual total (based on new data): 35,000,000
                            - Official total of seriously wounded, missing, captured, rendered insane: 10,008,434
                            - Actual total, based on new data: 14,700.000

and

55 million dead…..25 million vanished or maimed for life.

Last edited by Egorka; 20 Jul 07, 03:53.
                            Kind regards
                            Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
                            * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
                            * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

Comment

You found the ONE thing that I couldn't understand in this book, well, couldn't understand where the source was coming from! The figure of 35,000,000 is there .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X