Soviet Paras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soviet Paras

Does anyone here know the formation dates of the 6th thru 10th Airborne Corps, and the internal Brigade numbers?? Please don't say Sept/41 thru Jan/42, I already know that.

Originally posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Does anyone here know the formation dates of the 6th thru 10th Airborne Corps, and the internal Brigade numbers?? Please don't say Sept/41 thru Jan/42, I already know that.
    Here we go:
    "6th Airborne Corps: Started forming 29 August 1941 in the Urals military district with: 11th, 12th, 13th Airborne brigade...On 6 August 1942 the corps was reformed and redesignated as 40th Guards Rifle Division.
    (6th Airborne Corps): Formed in August 1942 in the Moscow Military District with: 11th, 12th, 13th Airborne brigade....This new 6th Airborne Corps was still training near Moscow on 8 December 1942, when it was reformed as the 6th Guards Parachute Division."

"7th Airborne Corps: Formed on 5 December 1941 in the Volga military district with: 14th, 15th, 16th Airborne brigade...7th airborne corps remained in the Moscow district training until 29 August 1942, when it was reformed and redesignated as the 34th Guards Rifle Division.
    (7th Airborne Corps): Started forming in August 1942 in the Moscow Military District with: 14th, 15th, 16th Airborne brigade. The new 7th Airborne Corps was still forming near Moscow on 8 December 1942 when it was redesignated as the 2nd Guards Airborne division."

"8th Airborne Corps: Started forming in September 1941 in Saratov in the Volga Military District with: 17th, 18th, 19th Airborne Brigade...On 6 August 1942 the corps was redesignated and reformed as 35th Guards Rifle Division.
    (8th Airborne Corps): Started forming on 23 August 1942 in the Moscow Military District with: 17th, 18th, 19th Airborne brigade...Formed with cadre from the original 8th Airborne Corps, the new formation was still in training near Moscow on 8 December 1942 when it was redesignated as the 3rd Guards Airborne Division.
    8th Airborne Corps: Formed in November 1943 in the 1st Baltic Front with: 1st Guards, 2nd Guards, 11th Guards Airborne Brigade."

"9th Airborne Corps: Started forming in September 1941 in the Volga military district with: 20th, 21st, and 22nd airborne brigade...It ramained int he training areas east of Moscow until 6 August 1942, when it reformed as the 36th Guards Rifle Division.
    (9th Airborne Corps): Started forming in August 1942 in the Moscow Military District with: 20th, 21st, and 22nd Airborne brigade. The new 9th Airborne Corps was still forming and training its brigades near Moscow on 8 December 1942 when it was redesignated as the 5th Guards Airborne division."

"10th Airborne Corps: Started forming in September 1941 in the Volga Military District with: 23rd, 24th, 25th Airborne Brigade. On 29 August 1942 it was redesignated and reformed as the 41st Guards Rifle Division.
    (10th Airborne Corps): Started forming at the end of August 1942 in the Moscow Military District with: 23rd, 24th, and 25th Airborne Brigade...This new corps was still training near Moscow on 8 December 1942 when it was redesignated as the 8th Guards Airborne Division."

Hope this helps, you're welcome
    "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
    "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
    "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

Many sincere thanks my friend. Another question. You mentioned that some became "Parachute Divisions". This is the second time this week I heard that but in all OB's, including Gehlens, they are called Guards Inf Divs. Which is correct?

Comment

Many sincere thanks my friend. Another question. You mentioned that some became "Parachute Divisions". This is the second time this week I heard that but in all OB's, including Gehlens, they are called Guards Inf Divs. Which is correct?
        Some airborne units were converted into Gds Rifle Divisions (~31-41 GRD, if I remember this right now correctly. Need to consult with my sources) in 1942
        If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

There were guards rifle divisions, guards airborne divisions, and guards parachute divisions.
          "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
          "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
          "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Voltaire

Comment

Here's some links to data you might find useful in your research...ref the first...see page 11-12 of the HTML version for further reference.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=7&gl=us

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/geronimo/index.html

best
            CV

Comment

There is also a book by Zaloga if you are interested on Soviet paratroopers.

Comment

Don't forget Glantz's "A History of Soviet Airborne Forces".

rna
                Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post

rna
                  That's right! And last time I checked it was available online as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kunikov View Post
                    There is also a book by Zaloga if you are interested on Soviet paratroopers.
                    Thanks...have that book...not much help.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post

rna
                      Although he has useful unit info....I cannot condone his works. Thanks.

Comment

Despite living in Russia, I still have a bitch of a time getting a lot of info on Soviet para uniforms. I know the basic outer uniform; but did paras basically wear a normal Red Army uniform under that, or was the coverall basically it? Also, how common was it for para units converted into rifle units to continue wearing the para uniforms? Is it to be assumed that airborne units which were still designated as such received the para uniforms even if they weren't jumping?

Comment

Originally posted by Cmde.Slavyanski View Post
                          Despite living in Russia, I still have a bitch of a time getting a lot of info on Soviet para uniforms. I know the basic outer uniform; but did paras basically wear a normal Red Army uniform under that, or was the coverall basically it? Also, how common was it for para units converted into rifle units to continue wearing the para uniforms? Is it to be assumed that airborne units which were still designated as such received the para uniforms even if they weren't jumping?
                          I'm not too deep expert in uniform.
                          Check http://www.rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.c...1.htm#Vyazma41 images.

regards
                          Alex
                          If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Originally posted by amvas View Post
                            I'm not too deep expert in uniform.
                            Check http://www.rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.c...1.htm#Vyazma41 images.

regards
                            Alex

Already checked it, but unfortunately this doesn't cover my exact questions. I am looking into screenwriting and I'd like to see something akin to Band of Brothers on the Eastern Front. Obviously a lot of it won't be about the paratroopers, but I would like to see some heavy combat with Soviet paras portrayed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X