Rock song about WW2 Russia...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock song about WW2 Russia...

Are you familiar with the song by Al Stweart (Year of the Cat fame) tracing the Russian side of WW2? It's called the Road to Moscow.

How many songs in English manage to work in Smolensk and Vyazma into the lyrics? Not a bad song. It captures things pretty well. For some reason the other day my 7 year old son asked about this part of the war. He really likes the song; it's a quick history lesson.

Check it out.
    Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Here is a link:

Comment

strange,
      in this video - russians dont look like russians at all.
      in this video - they look more like, er, arabs...

Comment

Forget the video, pay attention to the lyrics.

Comment

Originally posted by grognard View Post
          Forget the video, pay attention to the lyrics.
          lyrics is alright.

Comment

Originally posted by stalin View Post
            strange,
            in this video - russians dont look like russians at all.
            in this video - they look more like, er, arabs...
            Ugh well, it's just a video game (Red Orchestra) like grognard said listen to the lyrics.

Comment

It's great!!!

Thanks so much. I've always liked that song. They did a pretty good job of capturing it's essence. My 7 yr old wants me to set up a short cut to it. It was also a good excuse to get out a world map and show him and his 10 yr old sister some basic WWII history and geography.

Especially since they have some French and German classmates who give them the "American war mongering" jibe. Now they have some factual ammo to use.
              Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Comment

Good link and thanks for the reminder Sino - Al Stewart is a fantastic artist. His song "End of the Day" is really good.
                "The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."- General Heinz Guderian

"Oakland Raiders: Committed to Excellence"

Comment

Originally posted by joea View Post
                  Ugh well, it's just a video game (Red Orchestra) like grognard said listen to the lyrics.
                  yes, of course...
                  i'm only disturbed by certain tendency of portraying russians as arabs - in western movies/videogames etc...
                  what that's for?

nazis, for example -
                  they also had a tendency of portraying russians as asians (i.e ''alien nation'' of sub-humans) before ww2.

so i wonder,
                  what if - the usa now prepare themselves for starting ww3 against russia?

Comment

I really don't beleive the USA is preparing to fight Russia. First, there is no reason to even think about it. Second, we'd have to get out of Iraq first, and our "Bush-league" president won't even consider that.
                    Notice how the US seems to focus ofn oil regions for it's wars over the last few decades. Dealing with Russia and the Caucasus nationalities isn't something the U.S. is (quite) insane enough to consider, not after the way the factionalism in Iraq surprised our political and military leaders.

Comment

Originally posted by stalin View Post
                      yes, of course...
                      i'm only disturbed by certain tendency of portraying russians as arabs - in western movies/videogames etc...
                      what that's for?

nazis, for example -
                      they also had a tendency of portraying russians as asians (i.e ''alien nation'' of sub-humans) before ww2.

so i wonder,
                      what if - the usa now prepare themselves for starting ww3 against russia?
                      Why would they do that Stalin? What reason would America have to declare war on Russia??
                      "The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."- General Heinz Guderian

"Oakland Raiders: Committed to Excellence"

Comment

Originally posted by grognard View Post
                        I really don't beleive the USA is preparing to fight Russia. First, there is no reason to even think about it. Second, we'd have to get out of Iraq first, and our "Bush-league" president won't even consider that...
                        well,
                        in nazi germany/russia case it was also unbelievable that germany would ever attack its then ally - soviet union.
                        btw, germany hadn't bothered with getting out of france before launched operation "barbarossa''.

now that - baltic states and former soviet republic-georgia agreed to join nato,
                        the usa get an opportunity to mass up a considerable amount of military forces near russia's borders.

and btw,
                        the usa are only superpower in 19th-21st centuries' history - russia haven't had a military conflict with yet.
                        see,
                        russia fought french (napoleon),
                        russia fought british (sebastopol campaing in 1854-1855),
                        russia fought germans and japanese (ww1 and ww2)
                        now, according a deductive logic...

Originally posted by Gott Heinrici View Post
                        ... What reason would America have to declare war on Russia??
                        as for the ''reasons''...
                        no ''reasons'' needed - just an ability to launch an onslaught.
                        the ''reasons'' will be found later.

Last edited by stalin; 16 Apr 07, 14:12.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X