Information request on Kishinev WWII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information request on Kishinev WWII

Could someone please help me with some information on Kishinev just prior to and during WW2?

I would like to know (if possible):
    1) What size Kishinev was. ie was it a large City, Small city, or town
    2) when did the Germans first attack. Morning or Evening. And what did they use when they first struck the City ie Bombing raid by Planes first or Artilary, etc?
    3) Does anyone have any photos of the area before the war?

If you could assist with these queries I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Originally posted by s0nar View Post
    Could someone please help me with some information on Kishinev just prior to and during WW2?

I would like to know (if possible):
    1) What size Kishinev was. ie was it a large City, Small city, or town
    2) when did the Germans first attack. Morning or Evening. And what did they use when they first struck the City ie Bombing raid by Planes first or Artilary, etc?
    3) Does anyone have any photos of the area before the war?

If you could assist with these queries I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    Sorry. I feel I can't help in this case.
    Information of the size of Kishinev can be found, but I have no photos of this town (not my field).
    As for such a details you need, it might be a subject of archival research.
    Hardly such detailed info can be found in books. And I know just this episode (leaving of Kishinev) is ver weakely described in our literature.
    I even checked some collections of raw documents, but they also didn't give any ideas about such a details....

regards,
    Alex
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Thanks Alex .

I thought it may have been a long shot. I'll just have to keep searching the Libraries.

Comment

Thanks Alex .

I thought it may have been a long shot. I'll just have to keep searching the Libraries.
        I'm not sure libraries can help in some subjects.
        Maybe for numbers of citizens in the town - yes.
        But for combat info only archives can help...

Comment

Some of the larger Hoilocast volumes, especially multivolume encyclopedias, may have Kishinev population info. Those volumes often give Jewish population of xx thousand, 17% of total population.

Comment

The town was attacked by Romanian 1st armored division in the morning of July 16th. The only German forces taking part were elements of the 72 infantry division, and they came in firstly in early evening when they joined the Romanians in mopping up operations against the remaining soviet pockets in the south-east of the town. There were no bombing raids and artillery support was kept at a minimum in order to avoid civilian casualties - the population being majority Romanian.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial View Post
              The town was attacked by Romanian 1st armored division in the morning of July 16th. The only German forces taking part were elements of the 72 infantry division, and they came in firstly in early evening when they joined the Romanians in mopping up operations against the remaining soviet pockets in the south-east of the town.
              The direction was auxuilary for both sides.

The main German blows were done far to north.

The Germans had few units in Romanian-Soviet border.

The Soviets also sent all the reinforcements inthe main directions which were to north from Kishinev.

There were no bombing raids and artillery support was kept at a minimum in order to avoid civilian casualties - the population being majority Romanian.

cheers
              Very funny.

I think there is another explanation. The Axis had no enought artillery and aircraft there to do it or had hope that the Soviet troops would leave the town and they would get it undamaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                The direction was auxuilary for both sides.
                I don't understand your concept of auxiliary direction. Can you please clarify?

Very funny.

I think there is another explanation. The Axis had no enought artillery and aircraft there to do it or had hope that the Soviet troops would leave the town and they would get it undamaged.
                Chisinau was to be liberated, not bombed to hell.

Comment

I don't understand your concept of auxiliary direction. Can you please clarify?
                  The main blows of Barbarossa Plan were to the north from Kishinev. The closest to Kishinev blow was from southern Poland to Kiev through the northern Ukraine.

Kishinev was only in an auxulairy direction and the Germans had little forces there. The main battles were toi the north from Kishinev.

Chisinau was to be liberated, not bombed to hell.
                  Chisinau... Kishinev????

It is only a slogan. the task of the war was not to capture ("to liberate" according your words) Kishinev. If the Soviet resistance in Kishinev broke Axis plans of the war, the Axis would not think about the preventing of the destruction of Kishinev.

Comment

The main blows of Barbarossa Plan were to the north from Kishinev. The closest to Kishinev blow was from southern Poland to Kiev through the northern Ukraine.

Kishinev was only in an auxulairy direction and the Germans had little forces there. The main battles were toi the north from Kishinev.
                    Oh I understand what you meant now. Secondary direction.

Chisinau... Kishinev????

It is only a slogan. the task of the war was not to capture ("to liberate" according your words) Kishinev. If the Soviet resistance in Kishinev broke Axis plans of the war, the Axis would not think about the preventing of the destruction of Kishinev.
                    It was not a slogan, the Russians occupied Basarabia the previous year and the Romanian Army was there to liberate it, not destroy the cities through massive artillery and air bombardment raids. Artillery and air power was used, but not in "bombing raids" as s0nar asked.

cheers

Comment

It was not a slogan, the Russians occupied Basarabia the previous year and the Romanian Army was there to liberate it, not destroy the cities through massive artillery and air bombardment raids. Artillery and air power was used, but not in "bombing raids" as s0nar asked.

cheers
                      Just a brief history..
                      Bessarabia was in the Russian Empire before the revolution of 1917. Romania used weakness of Russia to attach that territories to itself.
                      The Soviet union never admitted that annexion.

So, lets call Soviet operation in Bessarabia in 1940 returning of status quo existed on the year 1917...

Regards,
                      Alex

Comment

Every country has its own myths. I don't suppose Romania had enough artillery and planes to try to destroy Kishinev being protecting by Red Army.
                        Last edited by Andrey; 12 Mar 07, 08:07.

Comment

Originally posted by amvas View Post
                          Just a brief history..
                          Bessarabia was in the Russian Empire before the revolution of 1917. Romania used weakness of Russia to attach that territories to itself.
                          The Soviet union never admitted that annexion.

So, lets call Soviet operation in Bessarabia in 1940 returning of status quo existed on the year 1917...

Regards,
                          Alex
                          It was in the Russian Empire after it was illegally annexed in 1812. It was previously part of Moldavia. In 1917 it declared Idependence from Russia and voted for Union with Romania, since the majority of the population was Romanian.
                          Last edited by Imperial; 12 Mar 07, 09:00.

Comment

Every country has its own myths. I don't suppose Romania had enough artillery and planes to try to destroy Kishinev being protecting by Red Army.
                            Romania had artillery and airplanes, but it was underlined that when fighting in Chisinau artillery and air raids should be minimised to keep destruction there low.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X