Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Russia plans major military build-up

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Russia plans major military build-up

    Russia plans major military build-up

    "Nobody knows whether the dramatic increases will overcome Russia's military crisis, said Yuri Fedorov, an associate fellow at the London thinktank Chatham House. "The situation has not really improved because of the absence of real military reform, corruption and the war in Chechnya, which demonstrated that Russian land forces are in a desperate situation."

    I certainly didn't know Russia's military was in such dire straits. I'm guessing it's because of their proud military history, and the little bit of personal interaction I've had with their soldiers, that had them always strong in my mind. Or does this article paint their situation out of proportion?
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

  • #2
    From what I heard, Russian military has recently reviewed or is in the process of reviewing their doctrine (the previous which was adopted in early 2000s I believe). Now Russian military doctrine views its primary threat to be loss of sovereignty, which implies Russian military basically is back in the Soviet era of thinking in terms of threats. Basically the main enemy is again NATO and US and Russian military is gearing up for the next world war. I think it was general Garejev who in introducing this new doctrine said that Russia should strive to avoid the situation of 1941 (whether he means that Russia should be better in reacting to an offensive or that Russia should be ready to attack first I don't know).

    Another theme of the new doctrine seems to be tying the energy weapon with military force. One Russian commentator said that basically, if Sweden carries out its threat to block the Russo-German pipeline for ecological reasons (the pipeline is a disaster for the already failing ecosystem of the sea) then Russia would view it as a military threat and could respond militarily.

    If oil prices remain relatively high as they are now and Russians can shake some more of the inefficiency and corruption rampant in their armed forces (and their already done some of that) then I'd say Ukraine better prepare for Russia being able to take the military option to subdue them in five years.

    Comment


    • #3
      Jim, I think this topic can become too provocative.
      At least presenting of pp(est) here, obviously shows possible degree of the battles, which can arise here...
      We have a pack of flammable pals here and I can't guarantee polite and correct dispute....

      I would like to use my forum mostly for historical discussions and not for modern subjects...

      I'm not against discussing current events, but only in necessity...
      So, plz, keep balance...

      Also I give notice to all the folks, who are going to take part in current discussion.
      Plz, be correct in your statements....

      Regards,
      Alex
      If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno View Post
        Russia plans major military build-up

        "Nobody knows whether the dramatic increases will overcome Russia's military crisis, said Yuri Fedorov, an associate fellow at the London thinktank Chatham House. "The situation has not really improved because of the absence of real military reform, corruption and the war in Chechnya, which demonstrated that Russian land forces are in a desperate situation."

        I certainly didn't know Russia's military was in such dire straits. I'm guessing it's because of their proud military history, and the little bit of personal interaction I've had with their soldiers, that had them always strong in my mind. Or does this article paint their situation out of proportion?

        'dire straits' is a normal situation and even a motivation in russia's case.
        so, for instance,
        it's only after being pushed to the crisis in 1941 that russia obtained her 'proud military history'.



        _

        Comment


        • #5
          Gorbachev had asked his military to assume a strategic defensive posture to lessen the demands on the Soviet economy. After nearly two decades of neglect and second place in Russian priorities, it probably is necessary for a major refurbishing of its forces. It may also at this point be a good, domestic economic boost.

          I believe Russians and Americans, as a people, have a lot in common. Considering the dangers that may lurk in the 21st Century, I hope the two governments can move closer together, and a stronger Russia could prove a valuable ally.

          rna
          Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by amvas View Post
            Jim, I think this topic can become too provocative.
            At least presenting of pp(est) here, obviously shows possible degree of the battles, which can arise here...
            We have a pack of flammable pals here and I can't guarantee polite and correct dispute....

            I would like to use my forum mostly for historical discussions and not for modern subjects...

            I'm not against discussing current events, but only in necessity...
            So, plz, keep balance...

            Also I give notice to all the folks, who are going to take part in current discussion.
            Plz, be correct in your statements....

            Regards,
            Alex
            I completely understand, brother. It's your section, if you wanna keep this thread, or throw it out, by all means, do what you wish. Since no one but me controls my feelings, you certainly won't hurt them by doing what you think best. My hope is of course that an intelligent sensible conversation can be had, and we (or at least I) can learn something new about our world. If not, I'll go back to my vigil of seeking out more Alyssa Milano pics...
            Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by pp(est) View Post
              From what I heard, Russian military has recently reviewed or is in the process of reviewing their doctrine (the previous which was adopted in early 2000s I believe). Now Russian military doctrine views its primary threat to be loss of sovereignty, which implies Russian military basically is back in the Soviet era of thinking in terms of threats. Basically the main enemy is again NATO and US and Russian military is gearing up for the next world war. I think it was general Garejev who in introducing this new doctrine said that Russia should strive to avoid the situation of 1941 (whether he means that Russia should be better in reacting to an offensive or that Russia should be ready to attack first I don't know).

              Another theme of the new doctrine seems to be tying the energy weapon with military force. One Russian commentator said that basically, if Sweden carries out its threat to block the Russo-German pipeline for ecological reasons (the pipeline is a disaster for the already failing ecosystem of the sea) then Russia would view it as a military threat and could respond militarily.

              If oil prices remain relatively high as they are now and Russians can shake some more of the inefficiency and corruption rampant in their armed forces (and their already done some of that) then I'd say Ukraine better prepare for Russia being able to take the military option to subdue them in five years.
              Why is all this a surprise to anyone? "Janes Defence Data" states, "Peace, to a Marxist,has no connoctations of goodwill whatsoever", it basically means, "the absence of war" and assumes continued conflict or, competition below the threshold of war. Putin has realized that the biggest apple on the tree will be the one that controls the most energy not aircraft. He has deftly placed Algeria in his pocket (3rd largest energy producer) and now has many Nato countries counting on his supplies...like Turkey. Since the US has basically gone into Iraq for its' oil (Rumsfeld has stated, he wanted it all), Putin is backing Iran, supplying her with the latest STA missiles while implying that an attack on Iran would be considered an attack on Russia. With the corrupt US oil companies allowed free rein and their refusal to share their technologies and lucrative retail market, in essence, trying to keep the entire world under their boot, I really find it difficult to fault the man. 3 main blocs are now being formed in the world, Russia and her allies (soon to include China and India), the European bloc and the Asian bloc. All have one goal in mind that terrifies the powers that be in the US. Shedding themselves of all dependance of the US.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno View Post
                I completely understand, brother. It's your section, if you wanna keep this thread, or throw it out, by all means, do what you wish. Since no one but me controls my feelings, you certainly won't hurt them by doing what you think best. My hope is of course that an intelligent sensible conversation can be had, and we (or at least I) can learn something new about our world. If not, I'll go back to my vigil of seeking out more Alyssa Milano pics...
                Jim, you know how many "hot peppers" are here...
                So, if any uncontrolled dipute will arise from thsi topic it'll be your fault

                Of course I will lock it in this case...

                Regards,
                Alex
                If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not exactly on topic, but close:

                  VTTV-OMSK-2007

                  "Welcome to VTTV-OMSK-2007 defence exhibition with military hardware demonstrations at the testing range in Omsk, Russia. The VTTV-OMSK-2007 organized by the Russian Federal Agency on Industry hosts great numbers of Russian weapon systems/components manufacturers and suppliers, attracting many official delegations, business visitors and international experts."
                  Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno View Post
                    Not exactly on topic, but close:

                    VTTV-OMSK-2007

                    "Welcome to VTTV-OMSK-2007 defence exhibition with military hardware demonstrations at the testing range in Omsk, Russia. The VTTV-OMSK-2007 organized by the Russian Federal Agency on Industry hosts great numbers of Russian weapon systems/components manufacturers and suppliers, attracting many official delegations, business visitors and international experts."
                    Yes. What do you want to know?

                    There is Tank Engineer Military Univercity in Oms. It has a lot f tanks and AFVs.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno View Post
                      Russia plans major military build-up

                      "Nobody knows whether the dramatic increases will overcome Russia's military crisis, said Yuri Fedorov, an associate fellow at the London thinktank Chatham House. "The situation has not really improved because of the absence of real military reform, corruption and the war in Chechnya, which demonstrated that Russian land forces are in a desperate situation."

                      I certainly didn't know Russia's military was in such dire straits. I'm guessing it's because of their proud military history, and the little bit of personal interaction I've had with their soldiers, that had them always strong in my mind. Or does this article paint their situation out of proportion?
                      What do you want to know?

                      The Russian draft soldiers are 18-year boys, from villages mainly.

                      Now Russan army turns the most of combat units to professional soldiers. Those are experienced men and not untrained boys.

                      From 2008 the draft time will be decreased to 1 year (it is 2 years now) so the percentage of professional soldiers will increase.

                      About new equipment - it is not a sign of Russian prearations to a war. It s a sign of supply the army by modern equipment. Russia has mmuch money than earlier ad spends it.

                      The policy of the US and NATO doesn't give impression that they are friends to Russia so Russia makes some efforts to increase its armed forces.

                      Alexander II (or III ?), a Russian Tsar, said in the XIX Century "Russia has only 2 faithful friends - those are its Army ad Navy."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                        What do you want to know?

                        The Russian draft soldiers are 18-year boys, from villages mainly.

                        Now Russan army turns the most of combat units to professional soldiers. Those are experienced men and not untrained boys.

                        From 2008 the draft time will be decreased to 1 year (it is 2 years now) so the percentage of professional soldiers will increase.

                        About new equipment - it is not a sign of Russian prearations to a war. It s a sign of supply the army by modern equipment. Russia has mmuch money than earlier ad spends it.

                        The policy of the US and NATO doesn't give impression that they are friends to Russia so Russia makes some efforts to increase its armed forces.

                        Alexander II (or III ?), a Russian Tsar, said in the XIX Century "Russia has only 2 faithful friends - those are its Army ad Navy."
                        Wasn't it the Navy that took the country from the Tsar??

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                          Gorbachev had asked his military to assume a strategic defensive posture to lessen the demands on the Soviet economy. After nearly two decades of neglect and second place in Russian priorities, it probably is necessary for a major refurbishing of its forces. It may also at this point be a good, domestic economic boost.

                          I believe Russians and Americans, as a people, have a lot in common. Considering the dangers that may lurk in the 21st Century, I hope the two governments can move closer together, and a stronger Russia could prove a valuable ally.

                          rna
                          Money....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Barbarossa View Post
                            Money....
                            WTF? Don't get your one-liner there dude.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                              The policy of the US and NATO doesn't give impression that they are friends to Russia so Russia makes some efforts to increase its armed forces.
                              This has puzzled me for quite some time. I've never figured out what exactly is unfriendly about US or NATO policies. In my mind both have been overtly friendly to Russia. Only a few years ago Bush was pretty much grovelling before Putin.

                              Analysts say that spread of democracy itself is a threat to increasingly autocratic Russia, but as I understand Putinists like you Andrey don't think that Russia is undemocratic, so spread of democracy shouldn't be a danger. Or is it?

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X