Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(OT) Who's Killing Russia's News Reporters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpush View Post
    I share your opinion of journalist murder: "no matter how stupid they have a right to say what they want".
    But situation than "One person suggested the BBC should be considered a terrorist organization." unnaturally for Russia.
    It is hart to contradict that Politkovskaya has close connection with Chechen rebels. If some person works with people who live with drastic law, it is no wonder that he can be murdered by his brothers in arm. Government has no law to suppress such kind of contacts and it is practically impossible and expensive to appoint small army of body guards to look after some journalist.
    I wonder that a Russian calls Chechen боевики "rebels" (повстанцы). Very unusual.
    Last edited by Andrey; 15 Nov 06, 06:29.

Comment

But situation than "One person suggested the BBC should be considered a terrorist organization." unnaturally for Russia.
      Not 100% sure what you mean, on another forum of another website (not this one) someone, not Russian, called the BBC a terrorist organisation that should be banned. I was emphasising with an extreme example (because the BBC is relatively mainstream and less subjective IMHO) that no voices should be silent.

Of course veterans would be angry but I think they should try tell their (Russian) story. There was an excellent film about the hostage incident in Beslan that was presented at a Human Rights festival in Geneva that showed terrorists also violate human rights. I wish someone would talk to Chechens to see if they are blackmailed or threatened by different groups, undoubtedly including mafia elements.

Comment

This BBC story has triggered my intrest in this subject.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6164284.stm

I am seeing these refrences to suppresion of news, to persecution of Russian and some western businessmen in Russia, and historians are complaining that acess to old archivial material is again denied. Last there are remarks about the current Russian governemnt being dominated by former leaders of the KGB.

How much substance is there to all this?? Is there a clear establishment of a new totalitarian group in the Russian government?

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post

I am seeing these refrences to suppresion of news, to persecution of Russian and some western businessmen in Russia, and historians are complaining that acess to old archivial material is again denied. Last there are remarks about the current Russian governemnt being dominated by former leaders of the KGB.

How much substance is there to all this?? Is there a clear establishment of a new totalitarian group in the Russian government?
          In Russia there is the strong opinion that it is deliberate propaganda campaign of the West. Every time Russia is becoming stronger the Western Mass Media began screaming of some nonsense. When in the 90th chaos was in the country but Russia was weak and had no independent policy the Western Mass Media spoke that all was OK in Russia.

Now thesituation is much and much better than in past. Putin declared 4 national projects - "Health", "education", "homes for people" and I forgot the fourth.

Now the state bagan to pay money for teachers and medics, to buy new medical and educational equipment.

Putin declared the hypothecary program which will let for people to get own homes. Before that it was impossible to ordinary people to get it as banks demanded too much first payment and gave money at high interest. To get won home was and is the most difficult problem for the Russians who didn't get it in the time of the USSR. Now the situation is changing, I myself know a few people who bought flats. But it is still not to easy to get it.

The Russians like Putin because:

1. He is a honest
          2. He is a Russian patriot
          3. He has an independent policy and is not a Western puppet like Yeltsin.
          4. He is a strong person.

For me, Putin is Russian De Gaule.

Before Putin the situation was becoming worse and worse every year, after Putin came the situation is becoming better and better. Russia has a lot of problems but in the 90th the situation was much worse.

To the point, now the actors who played bandits and oligarchs in movies in the 90th are playing policemen, officers, secret service agents.

The people from security services have two qualities that differ them from other people.

1. In the Soviet time many people went to KGB, Army and Intelligence to serve to their country. They were patriots of their country. Putin recalled that he decided to join to Intelligence after he saw "Shield and Sword", a famous Soviet movie about Soviet spy in Nazi Germany.

2. They know what responsibility is. They are not political clowns or gabbers. They are accustomed to understand the responsibility for what they are doing and they have experience to make decisions.

But itis wrong to think that Putin's administration consists of former militaries or people from secret services.

Now his main deputy is Dmitrii Medvedev. He is a civilian man. Mikhail Fradkov, the Prime-Minister, is a civilian. Sergei Ivanov, the Minister of Defence, is not a professional militaty, he looks like a civilian official. Sergei Mironov, an important senator, is a civilian. Foreign Affairs Minister, Sergei Lavrov, is a professional diplomat. And so on.

The Western reporters shows means to make order in the country as the returning to totalitarian regime. The educated Russians read in Internet and newspapers what nonsense the Western Mass Media speak about Russia and the authority of the West is very low now (especially after bombing of Yugoslavia, invasion in Iraq, anti-Russian Western policy in the Ukraine and in Georgia and so on).

Comment

It is not creminal that curent leader from KGB and previous from C.P.S.U. (comunist party) - in Russia there is not anoth time to show up anybody who absolutely purity from sovet heritage and has the same popularity.

For the rest, it has happened in UK - the country with the Chechen community the greatest all over the world. KGB gays has more delicious targets then Litvinenko, if we assume that thay feel free in special mission in UK territory.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey View Post
              Before Putin the situation was becoming worse and worse every year, after Putin came the situation is becoming better and better.
              ... oil and gas prices increase and increase .

Comment

Just some remarks.

so called "colonel Litvinenko" is a puppet of Berezovsky.
                Who is well known for especial "love" to russia and personally to V.V Putin.
                In all mass-media he's crying about his aim to change reginme in Russia by "revolutionary" means (i.e. illegal and non-democratic in the terms of law)

Scenario with "poisoning" is damn similar to "poisoninig" Mr. Yushchenko, prior to the president elections in Ukraine (btw, Berezovsky that time supported just him)

--

"historians are complaining that acess to old archivial material is again denied"

Nice phrase. It's warming me...<evil laugh>

Yes, some restrictions in military archives did take place. It's forced by too simple access to battle maps of so called "black diggers".
                That dudes makes excavations on battlefields only for artefacts (mostly German) for further resale on the west. So, these restrictions are directed just against those "businessmen". However this led to large problems among ordinary researchers, because access to many opened documents appeared to be enclosed just because presense of maps inside needed dossiers.
                Such a paradoxal situation....A document itself is opened, but you can't read it, because it's stored together with a document, which was assumed to be of limited usage....

Regards,
                Alex
                If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

... oil and gas prices increase and increase .

In 90th oil and gas prices also were high but only a few oligarchs were becoming richer and richer.

Comment

I should say a pair words about Berezovsky. In 90th he controlled a lot of officials, he was a friend of Yeltsin's family.

His connections to Chechen bandits were well known. There was a case when a radio-interception of his talking to one of Chechen bandits's leaders was printed in mass media and shown on TV.

They had a common business - those bandits stole people (militarues, civilians) and asked ransom. Berezovsky organised the payment of ransom and showed the situation so that it looked like his diplomacy was the result of the prisoners' liberation. Both sides were glad - thebandits got much money from Russianstate, Berezovsky showed himself as a man who saved prisoners.

One more example.
                    In 1996 Berezovsy was appointed a Chief of Security Council of Russia.
                    He flew in Chechnya. In that time the Chechen bandits captured Grozny but were blocked there by Russian Army. Their situation was very heavy. Berezovsky came to the headquarters of the United Troops Group in Chechen Republic.

Gen. Troshev, the Chief of the Army Group in that time, recalled what happened later.

Berezovsky ordered to him to remove troops from roads and to stop to block Grozny. Troshev tried to dispute that the Chechen bandits were blocked in Grozny and it was only a question oftime to destroy them there.

Berezovsky said to him: "Shut up, General! I am able to sell your f***ng Army Group, to buy and to resell again. So shut up and do what I am speaking!"

So the blockade of Grozny was removed.

When Putin became the Prime-Minister and the the President Berezovsky supposed he would be his puppet. But Putin showed himself as a strong person and began to fight against Berezovsky.

Col. Litvinenko was Berezovsky's man in FSB. Once a few men from FSB orgnised a press-conference where they declared that they had got an order to kill Berezovsky. Later it occurred that they were liars. They run away from Russia, one of them was Col. Litvinenko. Berezovsky also run away from Russia.

Now Berezovsky and Litvinenko live in Britain as "political refugees". Berezovsky gave a lot of money to "orange revolution" in the Ukraine in 2004, Russian and Ukrainian mass-media showed a radio-interpeption of his talkings to the leaders of Ukrainian revolution where he instructed then what they should do.

In 2004 before the presidental elections, Berezovsky invited Vladimir Soloviev, a famous TV reporter, to Britain and offered him to take part in presidental elections.Berezovsky said to him that he would organise "the murder of a famous leader of opposition" and the world public opinion would be offended bu it. Soloviev returned to Russia and said about it to a few leaders of Russian "democratic opposition". Boris Nemtsov said to Soloviev: "Is he a crazy? Does he want to shoot me?" Late Soloviev wrote about that story in Russian mass media.

Comment

This Berezovsky is a real crook and traitor! Certainly no "democrat" people like that have no soul. Ready to sell out anyone, and every country has had them. I prefer open honest enemies...at least you know.

Comment

Originally posted by joea View Post
                        This Berezovsky is a real crook and traitor! Certainly no "democrat" people like that have no soul. Ready to sell out anyone, and every country has had them. I prefer open honest enemies...at least you know.
                        Unfortunately too many people on the west listen to his speeches and think everything is too bad here...
                        If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

But now we have Alexander Litvinenko poisoned by what appears to be radioactive thallium while investigating Anna Politkovshaya's murder. It's not exactly a poison that can be procured at your local high street pharmacy. So it's reassuring to hear the Kremlin's dismissal of suggestions of their involvement as total nonesense. For a while there, I was worried.
                          "Freedom of thought is the only guarantee against infection of peoples by the mass myths, which, in the hands of treacherous hypocrites and demagogues, can be transformed into bloody dictatorships."
                          Hero of the Soviet Union, Andrei Sakharov 1968

Comment

Originally posted by Slim Fan View Post
                            But now we have Alexander Litvinenko poisoned by what appears to be radioactive thallium while investigating Anna Politkovshaya's murder. It's not exactly a poison that can be procured at your local high street pharmacy. So it's reassuring to hear the Kremlin's dismissal of suggestions of their involvement as total nonesense. For a while there, I was worried.
                            Yes, thallium is used in medical radiography, in industry of production extrinsic semiconductor, alloyed steel and probe sensor.
                            So there is no way to assert that thallium is an special services exclusive instrument.

Comment

The poisoning of Litvinenko - now a british citizen - is a big story on UK TV news and was subject of a big article and leader column in a major broadsheet - The Daily Telegraph.
                              Various scenarios are considered including Putin silencing a critic, intelligence services sending out a message to discourage defectors, someone setting out to discredit Putin / Russia. Who knows the truth in this world of ex-spies, exiled oligarchs, secret services, terrorists, murderers.
                              Renegade British Intelligence Services agents have in the past gone public and "blown the whistle" to allege immoral plans, and have been ridiculed and prosecuted.
                              I understand Litvinenko took similar action to expose a planned assassination of Berezovsky. He was prosecuted and acquitted twice and convicted in his absence at the third attempt. Litvinenko apparently also claimed FSB were behind 9.11 and al-Qua'eda seniors were FSB agents, and that Moscow appartment bombings were done by FSB to frame Chechens and give an excuse for war. Is he a fantasist or well connected, well-informed exile / defector / traitor seeking to expose the truth, latterly about Politkovskaya murder?
                              Former KGB Colonel and exile Gordievsky implies he knows the identity of the poisoner, now back in Moscow, and claims it wouldn't have happened without permission of Putin whereas the British spy writer Nigel West does not think FSB would be involved.
                              Whatever the case, it is going to be a tough investigation for the Metroplitan Police who have their hands pretty full already with terrorist plots and a Prime Minister to interview!
                              Andrey is correct about negative reporting, in UK at least, about Russia. All the reports are of Putin increasingly behaving as a dictator with plan to hold Europe to ransom over energy resources. Then there are the reports about interference in Ukraine, Georgia, about rise of Far Right Groups etc. There is little to promote Russia as a holiday destination! Because of what I see in the media in UK, am always interested to see very different views expressed by Russians on the forum.
                              Anyway, it took a long time but the Markov story eventually came out and that was a state sponsored assassination. Time will tell in the present case.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave T View Post
                                Andrey is correct about negative reporting, in UK at least, about Russia.
                                Good to know. He is however wrong about the US media. I hear almost nothing about Russia at all. Whenever something is reported no anti-Russian bias is shown. It is just delivered as news.
                                Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X