Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Russian translations-2

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matasso View Post
    Many thanks Alex,

So Imushetvo is generic, ok so it explains a lot; I suppose then torgovo/torgovaya are commercial so it would explain the romanian targ = market, negociation... hehehe, even a latin language can have influences

Mat
    There are many buerocratic nuances.

At first it is necessary to know for why do you need to get the exact answer? What scale of the understanding ofthe subject is necessary for you?

1. Torgovo-zagotovitelnaia - as I know it was about commercial state shops which traded in wooden and unexplored areas.

At first they sold good for the local people - torgovaia - commercial.

At second they bought goods - fells, gold, and so on - from local hunters, gold-diggers and so on - zagotovitelnaia (getter)

Usually it looked so - a hunter entered there, sold his goods (fells, for example) and bought some good of the shop.

2. Imuschestvo... Hmmm...

When I served in Russian army 10 years ago (tank troops) there were "bronetankovoe" [armoured] "imuschestvo" and "vooruzhenie".

I can translate "imuschestvo" as munition, "vooruzhenie" as equipment.

"vooruzhenie" - everything that can be used in fights - tanks, AFVs, machine guns, guns

"imuschestvo" - auxiliary property - boots, cleaning rag, trucks, tractors, cars and so on.

I don't remember to which ammo (shells, bullets) belongs, I think it is "vooruzhenie".

so you qustions are not so easy.

Comment

translations

Thanks Andrey,

The context is simple. WW2 Soviet Army support units and bases according to the Perechen lists. You have something that is called Military Commercial bases with I suspect werte used to trade as you say in military areas or later in occupied/liberated countries.

Anyway I think I understood. Many thanks

For the same period repair units I also have some questions:

Sborn'y Punkt avariynikh mashin? - recollection points for damaged vehicles? not sure for the writing

Masterskaya?

Many thanks
      Mat

Comment

For the same period repair units I also have some questions:

Sborn'y Punkt avariynikh mashin? - recollection points for damaged vehicles? not sure for the writing

Masterskaya?

Many thanks
        Mat
        It was the place where damaged vehicles (tanks, trucks and so on) were concetrated for future repair.

Comment

Masterskaya?
          Andrey is right, it's a place for collecting of damaged vehicles (mostly they were tanks damaged in fights and evacuated from battlefield).
          Those places are also known as "SPAM" (don't mix with junk e-mails )
          They weer intermediate collectors before vehicles were moved further to workshops (masterskaya), or plant for repair.

Regards
          Alex
          If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

translations

Many thanks Andrey and Alex,

You're top of the tops

Mat

Comment

Originally posted by amvas View Post
              Andrey is right, it's a place for collecting of damaged vehicles (mostly they were tanks damaged in fights and evacuated from battlefield).
              Those places are also known as "SPAM" (don't mix with junk e-mails )
              They weer intermediate collectors before vehicles were moved further to workshops (masterskaya), or plant for repair.

Regards
              Alex
              As I remember from my lectures about tank tactics such places were called Sbornyi Punkt Povrezhdennykh Mashin (SPPM) and not SPAM.
              Last edited by Andrey; 13 Oct 07, 00:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                As I remember from my lectures about tank tactics such places were called Sbornyi Punkt Povrezhdennykh Mashin (SBPM) and not SPAM.
                After the war they could be renamed
                Check this work (In Russian)
                http://militera.lib.ru/science/radzievsky_ai/04.html

Comment

Sorry I was out for some days
                  Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                  Guzhevoi transport - the oficial name of horse-drawn carts
                  Andrey,

I would like to apoligize - I did not speak clear enough in my previous post, sorry. Certainly I know the meaning of word 'Guzhevoi'. I meant we know that lots of soviet troops in WWII used horse-drawn carts and of course they usually were named as 'Guzhevoi transport' but I have never come across any using of supply name with the adjective 'Guzhevoi'. But IMO there was no doubt that all those carts needed large amount of special supply to operate for a long time period. So it seems quite reasonable to establish special services and depots for that. Of course for mechanized troops it sounded as anachronism - you are right - but in this case we can say about translation of word only. For instance we know US Army 1st Cavalry Division doesn't used horses anymore but it doesn't change the meaning of word 'Cavalry' in its name. It depends on translator how to interpret it.
                  As for Obozno-Vechevoy is seems difficult because the units always appear as one in the Perechen Lists. Could it be simply horse transported clothing supply depots?
                  Mat,

I suppose our discussion showed you it is extremely difficult to find exact equivalent. IMO there are some ways:
                  1) to do it literally: something like "Train & Clothing Supply" or "Train,Clothing&Equipage Supply"

2) to focus on the main meaning:
                  English-Russian Military Dictionary by Sudzilovsky offers two variants for "Veschevoy sklad":
                  - baggage warehouse
                  - clothing depot
                  If you want to save the spirit of the times you may add "Train" before them

3) to make your own hybrid

Good Luck!

Comment

The people who speak russian, do you know what is the meaning of the name "Yavka" or "Yaska"?.

A friend say me is a cossack order.
                    "Cada bala puede cambiar el destino".

Comment

Originally posted by sentry thalako View Post
                      The people who speak russian, do you know what is the meaning of the name "Yavka" or "Yaska"?.

"Yavka" is a spy term - it is a place for meeting of spies - a flat in a house.

Comment

Originally posted by sentry thalako View Post
                        What meaning of word 'order' do you mean?

Comment

1) According to the "Dictionary of live Great Russian language" by V.Dal', "Yaska" meant "star" in old South-Russian dialects. There was also pesonal name "Yaska". Nowdays, there is a frontier post and small city "Yaska" in Odessa province in the Ukraine.

So, I can suggest that "yaska" can mean something like 'all-round defence' set like a star.

2) "Yavka" can also mean 'arriving at cetain place', e.g. "yavka na sbornyj punkt" (arriving at assembly point/place).

Comment

A long time ago, I studied Russian. Can you recommend a good book on Zhukov printed separately in Russian and English. I would like to spin up my vocabulary but want to ensure I translate correctly. Is there anything like this out there? I know this question is out of left field but I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you.
                            Principles and rules are intended to provide a thinking man with a frame of reference. - Karl von Clauswitz, Vom Kriege, 1832.
                            "Quality posts have a Quantity of value all their own." PH

Comment

Originally posted by Prussian Havoc View Post
                              A long time ago, I studied Russian. Can you recommend a good book on Zhukov printed separately in Russian and English. I would like to spin up my vocabulary but want to ensure I translate correctly. Is there anything like this out there? I know this question is out of left field but I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you.
                              WWII books written in Russian vry rarely are translated into English...
                              Maybe it's better to study books
                              http://www.iremember.ru/content/cate...12/36/lang,ru/
                              And as you are interested in tank raiders loook for this one
                              http://www.iremember.ru/content/view/371/36/lang,ru/

Regards
                              Alex

P.S. This topic is not for books discussion, but for help in translation

Comment

Prussian Havoc,

Unfortunately there are not too many books about Zhukov in Russian which can be supposed as really good IMO and I did not hear even one of them was translated into English, sorry.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X