Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Russian translations-2

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking for a Book in English

    Hello everyone, I'm new here and hope I am in the right pew so to speak.

    I'm looking for a good book in English that describes in detail tactics used by Russian snipers in order to survive during snow warfare. Am particularly interested in the 100 day Winter War with Finland. Either fiction or non-fiction will due as long as it describes snow warfare tactics.

    I was with the 88th Blue Devil Ski Troop Division in the northern Italian Alps at the end of WW2.

    Thank you for whatever help you may be able to give me.

    hunterb4

    Comment


    • You may want to get "Winter Warfare: Red Army Orders and Experiences" edited by Richard N. Armstrong (Introduction) and Joseph G. Welsh (Translator).

      The two part book has translation of a Soviet regulation 'For Combat Action of Troops in Winter' obtained from German intelligence records that shows many of the practical winter combat lessons learned as a direct result of its experiences in the Russo-Finnish War. The second part from Soviet military archives is a lessons learned by the Red Army during in its first winter fighting the Germans on the eastern front, illustrating their serious attention to detail when fighting in a winter climate.

      Part I content:
      Effects of winter conditions on the combat actions of troops; Peculiarities of command and control; Peculiarities of organization and work in the rear area' Offensive Combat; Meeting Engagement; Defense; Marching in winter; rest and rest security; Combat environment by ski units and formations in the enemy rear

      Part II
      Operational-tactical lessons of the winter campaign of 1941/42; Features of offensive activities in the winter; Combat use of ski troops; Combat operations by artillery during the winter of 1941/42
      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

      Comment


      • I am translating subtitle of the movie "V Avgust 44" into Vietnamese.

        I cannot trans "Замнач управления". Can you help me please...

        Comment


        • Originally posted by DANNGOC View Post
          I am translating subtitle of the movie "V Avgust 44" into Vietnamese.

          I cannot trans "Замнач управления". Can you help me please...
          It's shortened form of "заместитель начальника управления"
          -Assistant of the Head of Department
          If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

          Comment


          • Cám ơn anh, Spasibo bolshoie, AMVAS

            Comment


            • беспредельщик - somebody please use this in proper context for me ie: proper stylistic and situational use not just the obvious meaning of the word.
              Кто там?
              Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
              Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                беспредельщик - somebody please use this in proper context for me ie: proper stylistic and situational use not just the obvious meaning of the word.
                беспредельщик - means somebody, who acts without paying attention to laws, or rules. Among criminals they calls so the most brutal colleagues, who acts against all rules of their community. Among non-criminals this word can be used to describe some aggressive-style people, who are going to their target without paying attention to problems they makes for other people.
                Hope this helps
                If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

                Comment


                • Originally posted by amvas View Post
                  беспредельщик - means somebody, who acts without paying attention to laws, or rules. Among criminals they calls so the most brutal colleagues, who acts against all rules of their community. Among non-criminals this word can be used to describe some aggressive-style people, who are going to their target without paying attention to problems they makes for other people.
                  Hope this helps
                  The second definition was what I was looking for, could it be an appropriate word to describe, say, a coworker whom indirectly screws coworkers over by selfish actions?
                  Кто там?
                  Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                  Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                    The second definition was what I was looking for, could it be an appropriate word to describe, say, a coworker whom indirectly screws coworkers over by selfish actions?
                    I think it would be used more in an ironic sense in this case - like calling someone who eats with his elbows on the table a barbarian.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                      I think it would be used more in an ironic sense in this case - like calling someone who eats with his elbows on the table a barbarian.
                      Well yeah, I'm looking for more colloquial usage than actual definition. One of my colleagues was calling another this this morning in a situation like I was describing.
                      Кто там?
                      Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                      Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                        Well yeah, I'm looking for more colloquial usage than actual definition. One of my colleagues was calling another this this morning in a situation like I was describing.
                        Well, just like the use of "barbarian" in the example I cited. Colloquially, calling somebody a беспредельщик in this situation means they are ignorant of some of the basic rules of working or getting along with others. It doesn't necessarily have to imply aggression either.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                          The second definition was what I was looking for, could it be an appropriate word to describe, say, a coworker whom indirectly screws coworkers over by selfish actions?
                          Nope, it would be some other term used.
                          "Беспредельщик" is a sort of brute force mostly illegal.
                          If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                            Well, just like the use of "barbarian" in the example I cited. Colloquially, calling somebody a беспредельщик in this situation means they are ignorant of some of the basic rules of working or getting along with others. It doesn't necessarily have to imply aggression either.
                            Yes, barbarian would be quite close to truth, but in this case everything depends on context and even intonation. In this case intonation can reverse meaning of the phrase to 180 deg. From indignation to ironia...
                            If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

                            Comment


                            • I am looking at a list of units for the Mozhaisk defense line in October 1941. All of the unit names are abreviated, most I know but these I don't understand:

                              загр. Отряд

                              огнем. Рота

                              зап. Сп

                              уч.зап.полка

                              гауб.ар

                              can you help ?

                              Thanks in advance.
                              Michel

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Michel View Post
                                I am looking at a list of units for the Mozhaisk defense line in October 1941. All of the unit names are abreviated, most I know but these I don't understand:

                                загр. Отряд
                                огнем. Рота
                                зап. Сп
                                уч.зап.полка
                                гауб.ар

                                can you help ?
                                Thanks in advance.
                                Michel
                                уч.зап.полка = учебный запасной полк = a reserve training regiment
                                гауб.ар = гаубичный артиллерийский = howitzer [regiment]
                                зап. Сп = запасной стрелковый полк = reserve rifle regiment
                                загр. Отряд = заградительный отряд = blocking detachment

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X