This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Russian writing

According to some accounts of the American airmen who landed at Pertopavlovsk, there was socializing with local women. This could account for the girl's signature.

Here are two more notations from the dollar bill...

Russian-2.jpg

Russian-4.jpg

Comment

• And three more...

Russian-5.jpg

Russian-6.jpg

Russian-8.jpg

Comment

• Russian-9.jpg

Comment

• Here is the last one. I am not sure which way the notation was written and so I have rotated it. I realize it is not easy to read but this is the best I can get using Photoshop software.

Russian-7a.jpg

Russian-7b.jpg

Comment

• Here is the dollar bill for those interested in seeing the front and back. The front is signed by the entire bomber crew.

frontX.jpg

Comment

• Here is the back with much of the Russian writing.

Also, thanks to all who have provided help with the writing. I have posted the same query on a couple of other forums but have not received a single response in more than a month. You guys are great!

backX.jpg

Comment

• Here is a newspaper photo of Arnold M. Saugestad at his crew position just before the mission taking him to Petropavlovsk. He was the owner of the dollar bill.

Saugestad news photoX.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by dusty_shelf View Post
                  According to some accounts of the American airmen who landed at Pertopavlovsk, there was socializing with local women. This could account for the girl's signature.

Here are two more notations from the dollar bill...

[ATTACH]57392[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]57393[/ATTACH]
                  Kolosov (Колосов)and Trofimova (Трофимова).
                  the second signature is very poorly readable
                  If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

And three more...

[ATTACH]57394[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]57395[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]57396[/ATTACH]
                    1. "Лебедев" (Lebedev). And then a date: 12-X-43.

2. There seem to be 2 words - first name and second name? The first one looks like "Мария" (Maria). The second one I cannot read... I can't figure out the first letter. The second one is Russian "p" or Latin "r".

3. Most likely second name - "Фокин" (Fokin), but also less likely could be "Фонин" (Fonin).
                    Last edited by Egorka; 06 Jan 14, 08:02.
                    Kind regards
                    Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
                    * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
                    * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

Comment

Here is the last one. I am not sure which way the notation was written and so I have rotated it. I realize it is not easy to read but this is the best I can get using Photoshop software.

[ATTACH]57398[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]57399[/ATTACH]
                      He-he-he...
                      This is not a name. It is a date. I think it reads: "19.X.43" or maybe "15.X.43". And then at the end maybe initials, which I can't transcribe.
                      Last edited by Egorka; 06 Jan 14, 08:00.
                      Kind regards
                      Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.

Comment

This dollar bill belonged to a B-24 waist gunner interned by the Russians when his aircraft landed at Petropavlovsk on September 12, 1943, following an attack on the Kurile Islands. I am hoping members of the forum can help with the Russian writing on the front and back of the bill. In some instances, I have enhanced the colors to make the writing more defined.

I do not know if the Russian writing is place names or possibly proper names. Information on the American aircrews held by the Russians indicates they were moved about and so these could be locations noted on the bill.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

[ATTACH]57390[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]57391[/ATTACH]
                        Hi,

Maybe I missed, but what is the story here.
                        They landed in USSR after the raid on Japan. But were not they later sent to USA via Iran.
                        I remember reading about it in the a book written by General John R. Deane who was head of the U.S. Military Mission to Moscow, 1943-45. The book is "The Strange Alliance - The Story of Our Efforts at Wartime Cooperation with Russia" (The Viking Press, 1947).
                        General Deane arranged for this transfer.

But is there anything special about the owner of this bill? And why is it signed so extensively?
                        Last edited by Egorka; 06 Jan 14, 07:37.
                        Kind regards
                        Igor

Comment

• Here are details of the aircraft and crew who signed the front of the dollar bill...

B-24A-CO Liberator Serial Number 40-2355 Number 21
                          USAAF
                          11th AF
                          28th Composite Group
                          404th BS

Pilot: Major Carl G. Wagner, O-474446 (survived, interned) Flushing, NY
                          Co-Pilot: 2nd Lt. Winfred H. Vaniver, O-672508 (survived, interned) Frisco, TX
                          Navigator: 2nd Lt. Benson H. Black, O-676019 (survived, interned) Durham, NC
                          Bombardier: SSgt Thomas A. Corbett, 6809139 (survived, interned) Bedford, MA
                          Engineer: Cpl Robert L. Daniels, 14072259 (survived, interned) Nashville, TN
                          Radar: Sgt Charles L. Waid, 13038751 (survived, interned) Greenville, PA
                          Asst. Radar: Cpl Howard C. Fuller, 12049794 (survived, interned) Newark, NJ
                          Gunner: SSgt Lawrance E. Mark, 16012309 (survived, interned) Flint, MI
                          Asst. Engineer-Gunner: SSgt Joseph P. Kerns, 13006854 (survived, interned) Pottsville, PA
                          Gunner: Sgt David L. Carter, 18041073 (survived, interned) Bonham, TX
                          Gunner: Sgt Arnold M. O. Saugestad, 19083551 (survived, interned) Minneapolis, MN
                          Gunner: Sgt Margarito Vasques, 19021002 (survived, interned) Los Angeles, CA
                          Photographer: Sgt Henry C. Everett, Jr., 34134087 (survived, interned) Braxton, MS

Crashed September 11, 1943 at 15:15

Mission History
                          Took off from Attu Airfield on Attu Island for a bombing mission against Paramushiru Island. Weather was ceiling and visibility unlimited (CAVU). During the bomber's last radio contact, their position was noted as roughly 100 miles off Shimushu Island headed for the Kamchatka Peninsula and crash landed in the Soviet Union.

Fates of the Crew
                          The entire crew was interned by Soviet forces and allowed to “escape” February 18, 1944.

Note that the aircraft did not crash. Rather, Wagner was able to land it with two engines out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Egorka View Post
                            But is there anything special about the owner of this bill? And why is it signed so extensively?
                            Egorka,
                            The bill is a "short snorter". A "short snorter" was a banknote inscribed by people traveling together on an aircraft. The tradition was started by Alaskan bush pilots in the 1920s and spread through the military and commercial aviation. During World War II short snorters were signed by flight crews and conveyed good luck to soldiers crossing the Atlantic. Friends would take the local currency and sign each other's bills creating a "keepsake of your buddy's signatures".
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_snorter

Comment

Here are details of the aircraft and crew who signed the front of the dollar bill...

B-24A-CO Liberator Serial Number 40-2355 Number 21
                              USAAF
                              11th AF
                              28th Composite Group
                              404th BS

Pilot: Major Carl G. Wagner, O-474446 (survived, interned) Flushing, NY
                              Co-Pilot: 2nd Lt. Winfred H. Vaniver, O-672508 (survived, interned) Frisco, TX
                              Navigator: 2nd Lt. Benson H. Black, O-676019 (survived, interned) Durham, NC
                              Bombardier: SSgt Thomas A. Corbett, 6809139 (survived, interned) Bedford, MA
                              Engineer: Cpl Robert L. Daniels, 14072259 (survived, interned) Nashville, TN
                              Radar: Sgt Charles L. Waid, 13038751 (survived, interned) Greenville, PA
                              Asst. Radar: Cpl Howard C. Fuller, 12049794 (survived, interned) Newark, NJ
                              Gunner: SSgt Lawrance E. Mark, 16012309 (survived, interned) Flint, MI
                              Asst. Engineer-Gunner: SSgt Joseph P. Kerns, 13006854 (survived, interned) Pottsville, PA
                              Gunner: Sgt David L. Carter, 18041073 (survived, interned) Bonham, TX
                              Gunner: Sgt Arnold M. O. Saugestad, 19083551 (survived, interned) Minneapolis, MN
                              Gunner: Sgt Margarito Vasques, 19021002 (survived, interned) Los Angeles, CA
                              Photographer: Sgt Henry C. Everett, Jr., 34134087 (survived, interned) Braxton, MS

Crashed September 11, 1943 at 15:15

Mission History
                              Took off from Attu Airfield on Attu Island for a bombing mission against Paramushiru Island. Weather was ceiling and visibility unlimited (CAVU). During the bomber's last radio contact, their position was noted as roughly 100 miles off Shimushu Island headed for the Kamchatka Peninsula and crash landed in the Soviet Union.

Fates of the Crew
                              The entire crew was interned by Soviet forces and allowed to “escape” February 18, 1944.

Note that the aircraft did not crash. Rather, Wagner was able to land it with two engines out.
                              Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                              Egorka,
                              The bill is a "short snorter". A "short snorter" was a banknote inscribed by people traveling together on an aircraft. The tradition was started by Alaskan bush pilots in the 1920s and spread through the military and commercial aviation. During World War II short snorters were signed by flight crews and conveyed good luck to soldiers crossing the Atlantic. Friends would take the local currency and sign each other's bills creating a "keepsake of your buddy's signatures".
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_snorter
                              OK. Understood.

Why Russian enscrition? People they met while enterned?

Did any of these USAF crews left memoirs?
                              Kind regards
                              Igor

Comment

• Here is a link to one account. It even names one of the Russian interpreters. Perhaps his name is one on those on the bill.

http://www.oocities.org/tempelhof.geo/samsavignac.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X