This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michel View Post
    Sorry, couldn't see the forest, too many trees in the way...but what is a "Курсы командиров звеньев" is this a special instructional unit ? Were they training machines or combat aircraft ? the other question is did they fly combat missions once the war started ?

Many thanks
    Michel.
    Michel,

My understanding is that the Курс командиров звеньев was the next step up for a pilot after finishing flight school. Whereas flight school simply trained pilots how to fly an aircraft, Курс командиров звеньев or Course for Section/Flight Commanders, trained pilots to be commanders of an air section/flight (звенo) - typically three to six aircraft. This would then be followed by курс командиров эскадрилий or Course for Squadron Commanders.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
      Michel,

My understanding is that the Курс командиров звеньев was the next step up for a pilot after finishing flight school. Whereas flight school simply trained pilots how to fly an aircraft, Курс командиров звеньев or Course for Section/Flight Commanders, trained pilots to be commanders of an air section/flight (звенo) - typically three to six aircraft. This would then be followed by курс командиров эскадрилий or Course for Squadron Commanders.
      Section/flight (звено) included 3 airplanes.
      If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

• "не в пу, не в красную армию" Please explain the best context for this phrase. I understand the general meaning, there are similar phrases in English, but I just want to ensure I understand it fully.
        Кто там?
        Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
        Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
          "не в пу, не в красную армию" Please explain the best context for this phrase. I understand the general meaning, there are similar phrases in English, but I just want to ensure I understand it fully.
          I will send you a pm

Comment

"не в пу, не в красную армию" Please explain the best context for this phrase. I understand the general meaning, there are similar phrases in English, but I just want to ensure I understand it fully.
            Hahaha.... Hope Skoblin is experienced enough to translate this correctly

Comment

• Originally posted by amvas View Post
              Hahaha.... Hope Skoblin is experienced enough to translate this correctly
              My coworkers use this a lot, just wanted to make sure I had the context right before I embarrassed myself
              Кто там?

Comment

My coworkers use this a lot, just wanted to make sure I had the context right before I embarrassed myself
                I wonder what is a an English equivalent of this Russian saying?
                Kind regards
                Igor

* My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
                * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
                * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

Comment

• Originally posted by Egorka View Post
                  I wonder what is a an English equivalent of this Russian saying?
                  PM sent
                  Кто там?

Comment

• Hi guys,

What is the difference between запасный авиационный полк and резервный авиационный полк. I am finding them both translated the same but they refer to different types of units.

Thanks
                    Oquaig

Comment

• Originally posted by Michel View Post
                      Hi guys,

What is the difference between запасный авиационный полк and резервный авиационный полк. I am finding them both translated the same but they refer to different types of units.

Thanks
                      Oquaig
                      Hello Michel,

Both запасный and резервный can be translated as "reserve". However, I have only encountered the terms запасный and запас when referring to division-level field units, while резервный and резерв I have seen mentioned in reference to forces under the direct control of Stavka. This would lead me to believe that запасный refers to tactical reserves and резервный to strategic reserves. However, Alex will likely have a more definitive answer when he shows up...

Comment

• IMHO, "запасной полк" (ZSP) and "резервный полк" (RSP) meant almost the same.
                        I could see in army structure more often were used ZSP and in NKVD - RSP. Usually ZSPs were united into "запасная стрелковая бригада", which were used for gathering and training of recruits in rears.
                        Separate ZSPs were subordinated to on the front level for officer accumulating and later distribution and replacement.
                        Also IMHO RSP was more old name and sometimes were used by some local territorial units

Comment

• Hi guys,
                          Perhaps if I clarify. Western Special Military District had in its VVS organization the 161st, 162nd резервный авиационный полк, which were training formations in June 1941. But when the 97th and 209th SBAPs were sent to the rear to refit they both went to the 10th запасный авиационный полк at Kamenke to refit with Pe-2s.

Does that help ?
                          Michel

Comment

• Hello

Does somebody know what the following abbrev means

дшг
                            Greetings from the Netherlands
                            Groetjes uit Nederland

Jo van der Pluym
                            Crazy Dutch

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy Dutch View Post
                              Hello

Does somebody know what the following abbrev means

дшг
                              It depends on the context.
                              Probably десантно-штурмовая группа
                              "landing-assault group"

Comment

• Originally posted by amvas View Post
                                It depends on the context.
                                Probably десантно-штурмовая группа
                                "landing-assault group"
                                Thanks for the reply. This is possible. The context of the abbrev was дшг спeтсназ
                                Greetings from the Netherlands
                                Groetjes uit Nederland

Jo van der Pluym
                                Crazy Dutch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X