This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Panama13 View Post
    38 пушечный артиллерийский полк 25.11.42-7.3.43 Преобразован в 215 гв. пап 9 гв. пабр 7 ад 7.3.43 г.
    I'll try to beat skoblin to the answer

38th cannon artillery regiment 25.11.42-7.3.43 Reformed as 215 Guards cannon artillery regiment of the 9th cannon artillery brigade of the 7th artillery division on 7.3.43
    www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

• Originally posted by ShAA View Post
      I'll try to beat skoblin to the answer
      A competition to be helpful...what a strange forum we have...

Comment

• All even add that "g" he asked about was translated from the abbreviation of the word for year (год) "г." after the 43.
        Кто там?
        Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
        Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

• Originally posted by skoblin View Post
          A competition to be helpful...what a strange forum we have...
          Too good to be true
          www.histours.ru

Comment

• Speaking of translations, there were lots of running jokes in the 90s about electronic translators. Like in a "cult" translation of the Microsoft mouse driver installation manual (most probably a fake), the word "trackball" was translated as a "caterpillar-driven genital".
            www.histours.ru

Comment

Speaking of translations, there were lots of running jokes in the 90s about electronic translators. Like in a "cult" translation of the Microsoft mouse driver installation manual (most probably a fake), the word "trackball" was translated as a "caterpillar-driven genital".
              LMAO. That's too funny.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

• Need a translation of following tactics:

" Тактика противника в городском бою сводилась к тому, чтобы прочно удерживать позиции (укрепленные здания, кварталы, улицы, переулки), огнем высокой плотности затруднить движение наступающих к объекту атаки, а в случае его потери контратакой из соседних домов восстановить положение, создать огневые мешки в районе захваченного объекта и тем нанести наступающему поражение, сорвать атаку. "

Then the assault force composition:

" В штурмовой отряд назначались: батальон пехоты, рота саперов, взвод — рота ранцевых огнеметов, рота танков (или батарея самоходных артиллерийских установок), 1-2 взвода крупнокалиберных пулеметов ДШК, батарея 120-мм полковых минометов, взвод 45-мм противотанковых орудий, взвод 76-мм орудий полковой артиллерии, 1-2 батареи 76-мм орудий дивизионной артиллерии, батарея 122-мм гаубиц М-30. При необходимости отряду могла быть придана батарея 152-мм или 203-мм орудий или же 160-мм дивизионных минометов. "

I get most of the text but there are some issues I cant interpret so I better leave it to the pros.

Yours

Pappy
                "Charley Dont´t Surf."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pappy View Post
                  Тактика противника в городском бою сводилась к тому, чтобы прочно удерживать позиции (укрепленные здания, кварталы, улицы, переулки), огнем высокой плотности затруднить движение наступающих к объекту атаки, а в случае его потери контратакой из соседних домов восстановить положение, создать огневые мешки в районе захваченного объекта и тем нанести наступающему поражение, сорвать атаку.
                  Here's the first paragraph.

The enemy's tactics for urban combat consisted of the following: 1. strongly holding positions (fortified buildings, blocks, streets, alleys), 2. concentrating heavy fire to make the enemy's advance on a position difficult, and, if the position is lost, restoring the situation by counterattacking from adjacent buildings, and 3. forming killing grounds near captured positions so as to defeat the advancing enemy and break up the attack.
                  "If you have too firm a belief in the glories of soldiering, try a war."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pappy View Post
                    " В штурмовой отряд назначались: батальон пехоты, рота саперов, взвод — рота ранцевых огнеметов, рота танков (или батарея самоходных артиллерийских установок), 1-2 взвода крупнокалиберных пулеметов ДШК, батарея 120-мм полковых минометов, взвод 45-мм противотанковых орудий, взвод 76-мм орудий полковой артиллерии, 1-2 батареи 76-мм орудий дивизионной артиллерии, батарея 122-мм гаубиц М-30. При необходимости отряду могла быть придана батарея 152-мм или 203-мм орудий или же 160-мм дивизионных минометов. "
                    The second paragraph:

An assault detachment consisted of: an infantry battalion, a combat engineer company, a man-pack flamethrower platoon, a tank company (or assault gun battery), 1-2 platoons of DShK heavy machineguns, a battery of 120mm regimental mortars, a platoon of 45mm antitank guns, a platoon of 76mm regimental guns, 1-2 batteries of 76mm divisional guns, and a battery of 122mm M-30 howitzers. If necessary a battery of 152mm or 203mm guns or even 160mm mortars could be attached.

Comment

• Kardon
                      "Charley Dont´t Surf."

Comment

• Need a translation of following abbreviation: 3 ap uzel it is an aviation unit but I am not certain of the translation...

Comment

• Originally posted by Michel View Post
                          Need a translation of following abbreviation: 3 ap uzel it is an aviation unit but I am not certain of the translation...
                          АП normally stands for "artillery regiment", then "узел" could be many things a "railroad junction" or "railhead" or "machine unit". Can you post the original sentence?
                          www.histours.ru

Comment

• Originally posted by Michel View Post
                            Need a translation of following abbreviation: 3 ap uzel it is an aviation unit but I am not certain of the translation...
                            It could be 3rd aviation regiment ( aviapolk short from avaicionnyj polk).
                            Something like here :

http://101aviapolk.ru/

Uzel - could be command center, or communication center.
                            Like UZEL SVJAZI - the center of communications.
                            It is difficult to translate outside of context.
                            Last edited by RS116; 02 May 11, 14:12.
                            Dixi.

Beware of Occam's razor !!!!

Comment

АП normally stands for "artillery regiment", then "узел" could be many things a "railroad junction" or "railhead" or "machine unit". Can you post the original sentence?
                              It is off a map. The 6th Aviation Division and showing the location of the airfields at Novgorod. For some reason I can get my Cyrillic font to work: it is 3 AP (in english) which I take to Aviapolk then in Russian "узел". It is the last four letters that I have no clue about the rest unless the "U" might stand for Uchebno ?

Comment

• Are you sure that the "3" isn't a Russian "з" ("z" in English)? A "Зап. узел" could be short for Запасной узел or reserve (communications) node or center. An "аэродромный узел" is an "airfield complex," so I suppose it could mean a "reserve (airfield) complex."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X