Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Russian translations-2

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Russian translations-2

    Previous thread was very popular. So, I decided to start a new one.
    Please, don't use it for discussions.
    It's just for asking questions about meanings of this or that Russian words and abbreviations.
    Please, provide all necessary info to make posible us to help you more quickly. remember, in many times context is very important in Russian. Words can have absolutely different meanings been used in different sort of text.

    Regards,
    Alex
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

  • #2
    Ok, I'll be the first one to ask a question in this new thread

    what are the zimnie kvartiry (зимние квартиры)?

    the word-for-word translation in english is the "winter quarters", but what is the true meaning?

    Regards,
    TH
    “Die in peace my brothers, but die quietly, so that we hear nothing but the faintest echo of your suffering…”

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Trigger Happy
      Ok, I'll be the first one to ask a question in this new thread

      what are the zimnie kvartiry (зимние квартиры)?

      the word-for-word translation in english is the "winter quarters", but what is the true meaning?

      Regards,
      TH
      The word-to-word translation is "winter flats".

      It is an archaic term of the XIX Century mainly.

      It means "a warm place where troops live in a winter".

      It means that in that time troops didn't fight in a winter (it was considered too cold to live in field conditions). In a winter troops lived in settlements (towns and villages). They "квартировали" ("rented (for money or free) rooms in houses") in civil houses. So the units had an officer "квартирмейстер" ("master of flats") who was a rears oficer responsible for the rent of flats (organizing of the place where the unit's personnel would live).

      Comment


      • #4
        Ok, thanks Andrey

        5. Дивизия действовала без мотострелкового и артиллерийского полков только двумя танковыми полками, так как мотострелковый полк был взят штабом 6-й армии в свой резерв, а артиллерийский полк не был укомплектован тракторами и половину своей материальной части оставил на зимних квартирах, остальные орудия постепенно выходили из строя из-за технических неисправностей и поломок имеющихся в наличии тракторов. Таким образом, отсутствовало взаимодействие танков с артиллерией, пехотой и особенно авиацией.
        here's how I translate that:

        The division operated without the motorized rifle and artillery regiments having on hand only the two tank regiments since 6th Army HQ placed the motorized rifle regiment in its reserve as for the artillery regiment, not having its full complement of tractors, it had half of its equipment staying in the winter quarters while the remaining guns were gradually abandoned because of the technical malfunctions [problems] and breakdowns of the available tractors. Thus, the tanks were devoid of artillery, infantry and, particularly, aviation support.

        (I know I changed the sentences a bit too much for some people's taste...)

        So, if the context is during the border battles in 1941, it only means that they stayed in the barracks, well in the rear, or rather, in the original position of the division?
        “Die in peace my brothers, but die quietly, so that we hear nothing but the faintest echo of your suffering…”

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Trigger Happy
          Ok, thanks Andrey


          here's how I translate that:

          The division operated without the motorized rifle and artillery regiments having on hand only the two tank regiments since 6th Army HQ placed the motorized rifle regiment in its reserve as for the artillery regiment, not having its full complement of tractors, it had half of its equipment staying in the winter quarters while the remaining guns were gradually abandoned because of the technical malfunctions [problems] and breakdowns of the available tractors. Thus, the tanks were devoid of artillery, infantry and, particularly, aviation support.

          (I know I changed the sentences a bit too much for some people's taste...)

          So, if the context is during the border battles in 1941, it only means that they stayed in the barracks, well in the rear, or rather, in the original position of the division?
          In this case "зимние квартиры" means the rears where the division was last winter.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Trigger Happy
            Ok, thanks Andrey


            here's how I translate that:

            The division operated without the motorized rifle and artillery regiments having on hand only the two tank regiments since 6th Army HQ placed the motorized rifle regiment in its reserve as for the artillery regiment, not having its full complement of tractors, it had half of its equipment staying in the winter quarters while the remaining guns were gradually abandoned because of the technical malfunctions [problems] and breakdowns of the available tractors. Thus, the tanks were devoid of artillery, infantry and, particularly, aviation support.

            (I know I changed the sentences a bit too much for some people's taste...)

            So, if the context is during the border battles in 1941, it only means that they stayed in the barracks, well in the rear, or rather, in the original position of the division?
            Yep, that's close to the truth.

            LOL, does this division the 32nd Tank Division?

            On Sept. 29 I hope to place LARGE update for mechanised Corps. (Pst, the 4th MC is already uploaded, look to its update info on the top )

            Alex
            If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by amvas
              Yep, that's close to the truth.

              LOL, does this division the 32nd Tank Division?

              On Sept. 29 I hope to place LARGE update for mechanised Corps. (Pst, the 4th MC is already uploaded, look to its update info on the top )

              Alex
              Seriously Alex, you know too much!

              Oh I see you came from the future... is it different from now? 29 sept... lol!
              Last edited by Trigger Happy; 22 Sep 06, 13:23.
              “Die in peace my brothers, but die quietly, so that we hear nothing but the faintest echo of your suffering…”

              Comment


              • #8
                wow!

                Alex,
                You out-did yourself! Your abbreviations documents are superb. I had cobbled together a small list for my own use, but yours is awesome. Congratulations and a BIG THANKS!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by billski View Post
                  Alex,
                  You out-did yourself! Your abbreviations documents are superb. I had cobbled together a small list for my own use, but yours is awesome. Congratulations and a BIG THANKS!
                  THx for appreciation of my work, Bill

                  Those listings are not complete. I think I need to add much in them.
                  I prepared them (with the help of several pals) for a year, or so....

                  Regards,
                  Alex
                  If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Street Names?

                    Hi:

                    The attachments are sketchs of part of Stalingrad. Are the letters next to the blocks street names?

                    John
                    Last edited by John Calvin; 06 Aug 08, 08:29.
                    Stranger! To Sparta say, her faithful band,
                    Here lie in death, remembering her command.

                    www.wwii-photos-maps.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by John Calvin View Post
                      Hi:

                      The attachments are sketchs of part of Stalingrad. Are the letters next to the blocks street names?

                      John
                      yes

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Street Names?

                        Andrey:

                        Thanks for the help.

                        John
                        Stranger! To Sparta say, her faithful band,
                        Here lie in death, remembering her command.

                        www.wwii-photos-maps.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          here we go:

                          "— Завтра еще не так запоют!"

                          From: http://militera.lib.ru/bio/streshins...hev/index.html

                          Cheers! Thomas
                          http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...ussianppsh.jpg
                          www.reenactor.se

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ThomasM View Post
                            here we go:

                            Эфир заполняли панические радиограммы немецких командиров, моливших о подкреплениях.

                            — Завтра еще не так запоют! — усмехнулся Симоняк, читая радиоперехваты.

                            From: http://militera.lib.ru/bio/streshins...tishev/03.html

                            Cheers! Thomas
                            Hmmm, this sort of Russian phrases is very hard to translate in English.

                            Approximately it can be done as:
                            "Tomorrow they'll get much more problems than now"

                            Regards
                            Alex
                            If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thank you alex, and Simoniak wasnt wrong, the germans got it ewen worse
                              http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...ussianppsh.jpg
                              www.reenactor.se

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X