Operation Typhoon, Kalinin (Tver) area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Typhoon, Kalinin (Tver) area

How can I find the number of Russians in Kalinin, their units, and the number and types of tanks for October 13 and 14, 1941?

I think that it was the 31st Army defending the city, but it might have been the 29th. The 8th and 21st Tank Brigades were in the area, but did either have tanks in the town? I also think that the 133rd, 256th, and 5th Rifle Divisions were in the area, but I cannot figure which was assigned the duty of defending Kalinin.

Also I count four bridges (including the RR bridge) over the Volga at Kalinin, today, but all the accounts refer to just two bridges (including the RR Bridge).
    Which of the three auto bridges was the one around in 1941?

Thanks in advance for any info or leads,
    Twelveagle

How can I find the number of Russians in Kalinin, their units, and the number and types of tanks for October 13 and 14,
    1941?

I think that it was the 31st Army defending the city, but it might have been the 29th. The 8th and 21st Tank Brigades
    were in the area, but did either have tanks in the town? I also think that the 133rd, 256th, and 5th Rifle Divisions were
    in the area, but I cannot figure which was assigned the duty of defending Kalinin.
    Defence of Kalinin (Tver) town was ordered to be performed by troops of the 30th Army.
    Because of loosing operative control Kalinin direction was uncovered freast from Zubtsov & Staritsa. Stavka combined special

group of troops for covering this direction. It included two rifle divisions, two cavalry divisions, 8th Tank Bde and 46th

Mtcl Rgt. under command of general Vatutin. Troops of the 22nd,29th,30th Armies were united in a special group under Konev's

command. This group was reinforced by the 5th,133rd,256th Rifle Divisions and 21st Tank Brigade.
    But soviet troops had no time for preparing to defence Kalinin. Troops of the 30th army, reserve divisions and 21st Tank Bde

were on the way.
    On Oct. 14th Germans took the southern part of the town. Further attempts to pentrate to the north and South-east were

parried by arrived troops of the 5th,256th, 133rd Rifle Divisions together with the 8th Tank Bde and 46th Mtcl. Rgt.
    Operations of the 8th Tank Bde (Col. Rotmistrov) didn't go beyond unsuccessful attack against the town. After this brigade

took defensive positins together with the 133rd RD in nothern suburbs.

On Oct. 16 the 8th TBde had 29 T-34s and 32 light tanks (T-26, BT, T-40)

As for the 21st Tank Bde it had on Oct. 10:
    19 T-34-76,
    10 T-34-57
    2 KhT-26
    5 BT-2
    15 BT-5&BT-7
    10 T-60
    4 ZIS-30 SP guns.
    It was assigned to the 30th Army and was engaged in battels on Kalinin direction since Oct. 16

Also I count four bridges (including the RR bridge) over the Volga at Kalinin, today, but all the accounts refer to just
    two bridges (including the RR Bridge).
    Which of the three auto bridges was the one around in 1941?

Thanks in advance for any info or leads,
    Twelveagle
    Sorry, I have no info aobut amount of bridges there...
    Probably I have this info in some memoirs, but it's impossible to find this just now....

Regards,
    Alex
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

In another book I could read:
      "...Positions of our troops was th next:
      remains of the 265th Rifle Div/30th Army on Oct. 14 proceeded street fights

in the easter part of Kalinin. Troops of the 5th Rfl. Div and Junior

Officers' School of the North-Western Front held enemy on Peremerki (4km SE to Kalinin), Koltsovo line.
      United detachment (Kuntsevo regiment) having 2 rifle and one motorcycle battalion, 2 batteries of antiaircraft artillery battalion and one Gds. Mortar (Katyushas) Battalion covered highway Kalinin-Klin in Zavidovo area..."

regards,
      Alex
      If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Alex,
        thank so much for your detailed replies. I really appreciate the help.

Twelveagle

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X