Unpublished Memoirs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unpublished Memoirs?

While sifting through some back issues of Voyenn-istoricheskiy zhurnal, I came across a serial of articles under the title, They Stood to the Death by L.M. Sandalov from his book, "Voyevyye deystviya voysk 4-y armii v nachalnyy period Velikoy Otechestvennoy voyny" [Combat Actions of the 4th Army in the Initial Period of the Great Patriotic War].

In the December 1988 issue, within Sandalov's article he used as a footnote (#4) "From the memoirs of the former chief of staff of the 22d Tank Division, Lt. Col I.S. Kislitsyn".

In the June 1989 issue, and this one is particularly important to me, Sandalov references in a footnote (#1) "From the memoirs of Mar Tank Trps S.I. Bogdanov".

Are these memoirs that were never published? If they have not been published, where would Sandalov have accessed them? Are they accessible now?
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong
    While sifting through some back issues of Voyenn-istoricheskiy zhurnal, I came across a serial of articles under the title, They Stood to the Death by L.M. Sandalov from his book, "Voyevyye deystviya voysk 4-y armii v nachalnyy period Velikoy Otechestvennoy voyny" [Combat Actions of the 4th Army in the Initial Period of the Great Patriotic War].

In the December 1988 issue, within Sandalov's article he used as a footnote (#4) "From the memoirs of the former chief of staff of the 22d Tank Division, Lt. Col I.S. Kislitsyn".

In the June 1989 issue, and this one is particularly important to me, Sandalov references in a footnote (#1) "From the memoirs of Mar Tank Trps S.I. Bogdanov".

Are these memoirs that were never published? If they have not been published, where would Sandalov have accessed them? Are they accessible now?
    sorry, can't help with locating those memoirs. But I have three versions.

1. They were private talks
    2. That memoirs were in print that time (the most preferrable variant for yo)
    3. That memoirs were published in some collected stories

Regards,
    Alex
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Originally posted by amvas
      sorry, can't help with locating those memoirs. But I have three versions.

1. They were private talks
      2. That memoirs were in print that time (the most preferrable variant for yo)
      3. That memoirs were published in some collected stories

Regards,
      Alex
      Thanks for the response, Alex. I'll have to think about your versions. Sandalov wrote like a trained historian, so he would have footnoted a meeting for the talks and in a collected work. But, there have been precious few works on the those first few months.

It's possible his memoirs were in print and I missed them, but I never saw a reference to them until Sandalov's piece. And, his memoirs were never referenced by Radzievsky his Chief of Staff in his multiple writings nor in the political officer, Litvak's memoirs.

My conclusion, of course, is that it is a lead to a body of writings by senior officers that were never published in the open press for whatever reason and they are lying around on some dusty shelf waiting to be used by historians.
      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X