It is a pair of translation questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leglaen
    Geographically you are of course correct, however if you read primary sources of the period the GPW is generally referred to as the "war in Russia", at least up until 1944. I must admit I have not looked at any issues of Time (for example) past that date.
    I mean the same. While we were Allies the Western Allies called it "the War in Russia", when the Cold War had began the Westerners had began to call it "the Eastern Front" according the German perspective.

As regards the Patrotic/Motherland/Fatherland issue, if a person looks at the Latin root[patris/patria] of our English word patriotic it does mean father/fatherland. So perhaps we are not that far apart from one another when we use the GPW.
    As I suppose the Russian words have the same meanings as English Patriotic, Nation-Wide, for the Motherland. You can look on English terms and make your own suggesstion about the difference in the meaning of those.

Another point that no-one has mentioned is that (I think) the invasion of Russia in 1812 by Napoleon was called the "Patriotic War". The Soviets then used this image of brave Bagration and Tsar Alexander II to great effect by creating the name "Great Patriotic War".
    I want to add about the war of 1812. It was not about Bagration and Tsar Alexander (I not II ???) only.

It was made because the situation of 1812 was equal to the situation of 1941!!!

Both the wars had began in ONE DAY - in June, 22nd (as I remember).

Both the wars were began by a sudden strike without a declaration of a war.

In both the wars our enemy had a superior force that had conqured all the Europe and had a dream to conquer all the world. In both the war all the Europe worked on the invaders, the invaders used all the Europeans resources, manpower and so on.

In both the wars we had an Ally - Britain who fought against the invasders in the seas.

The war of 1812 was really a Nation-Wide War, it was not only the war when the soldiers fight but peasants do not take part in it. In 1812 all the people began to fight for the Motherland against the invaders. The Russian soldiers, officers, generals and civilians showed a lot of bravery, courage, valor. The civilians took part in a mass partisan movement in the invaders' rears, they themselves did it without an order of the rules, and that partisan war was very significant.

In 1812 the Russian Army was forced to retreat up to Moscow and even to leave Moscow but Russia didn't surrender and had won the war. It was the beginning of the end of Napolen.

So in the summer of 1941 the Soviet Rules said to the people approximately the following: "A mighty enemy had invaded. But don't give way to despair. Such an invasion already was in past and it was repelled due the self-sacrificing struggle of all the people of Russia. So it is the time to forget all the insults and to struggle against the invaders as a united force. Enemy is a very mighty but we shall win in any case even if we are forced to retreat deep inside of our territory. Fight in the same way as the Russians fought in 1812 and the victory will be ours."

Stalin spoke before the Soviet people in July, 3rd. And the beginning of his speech had amazed everyone. Stalin's first words were: "Brothers and sisters!..."

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey
      I mean the same. While we were Allies the Western Allies called it "the War in Russia", when the Cold War had began the Westerners had began to call it "the Eastern Front" according the German perspective.
      I did not learn to call it the Eastern Front because of a German perspective. Geographically we were on the Western Front because France and Italy are West of the USSR.
      Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X