X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous photos

http://www.russianphotographs.com/ex...ons/index.html

Quite a nice collection of famous Russian photos. Not only WW2 period
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Andrey,

Great collection, thanks. I did not see my favorite, the political officer leading with a pistol wave near Kharkov. Is it not a favorite Russian picture?
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong
      Andrey,

Great collection, thanks. I did not see my favorite, the political officer leading with a pistol wave near Kharkov. Is it not a favorite Russian picture?
      Not Andrey, Amvas, don't mix us. We are different persons.

It is a very famous photo which is called "A politruk". There are a lot of favourite photos and parts of documentary which can be considered symbols of that war.

For example,

- a 12-14 year boy ("son of a regiment") in a sided cap is shootimng from Degtiariov machine gun wiping sweat from his face, his face is full of resolution. The camera is on a foot from his face.

- an old soldier is pulling 45-mm gun,

- a column of soldiers is moving along a street of Leningrad and a girl is moving nearly it, she holds a soldier by her hand, she is only moving nearly her beloved,

- two waves of soldiers are moving to one another, it is the troops that were connected to the west of Stalingrad, then the soldiers began to embrace.
      Last edited by Andrey; 24 Oct 05, 18:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey
        Not Andrey, Amvas, don't mix us. We are different persons.

It is a very famous photo which is called "A politruk".
        My apologies, I meant Alex. I know it is a very famous photo, and I was surprised not to see it in the war collections.

Comment

I know it is a very famous photo, and I was surprised not to see it in the war collections.
          The most part of the photos are not famous. It is only a set of photos which doesn't contain most famous photos. Ask Amvas why he called it "Famous photos"

Comment

Ask Amvas why he called it "Famous photos"
            Because I know some photos Not all, though....
            If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Originally posted by amvas
              Because I know some photos Not all, though....
              Think what you write.

The foreigners read you title and had understood that it is a set of the most famous Soviet WWII photos.

Comment

Great photographs!! Thanks for the link. I was wondering, do you have anything similar for the First World War?
                There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

It is a very famous photo which is called "A politruk". There are a lot of favourite photos and parts of documentary which can be considered symbols of that war.

For example,
                  - a column of soldiers is moving along a street of Leningrad and a girl is moving nearly it, she holds a soldier by her hand, she is only moving nearly her beloved,
                  To the point, you can see it in the videoclip "Requiem.avi" which is uploded by Amvas in "Multimedia" section.

You will see a column of soldiers and a firl that is moving nearly a soldier which had Maxim machine gun on his shoulder.

Comment

There is a lot of favourite photos and parts of documentary which can be considered symbols of that war.

For example,
                    To the point, you can see it in the videoclip "Requiem.avi" which is uploded by Amvas in "Multimedia" section.

You will see a column of soldiers and a girl that is moving nearly a soldier which had Maxim machine gun on his shoulder.

Comment

Yes, I too enjoyed looking at the photos. I have seen some of them before and
                      others I have not. Sometime ago, there was a book that came out of pictures taken by various combat photographers from around the world which was great.

During the attack I believe on the island of Okanawa, a photographer had converted the drop tank for a P-38 Lighting by cutting off the end and replacing it with a plexiglass cover. He was inside of it during the mission and got some great air-air and air-ground pictures of some F4U Corsairs making a rocket attack.

Speaking of pictures, I was wondering if anyone has seen this footage of an
                      OT-34 in the snow that was used in the 1980's music video "New Years Day" by
                      the musical group U2?

It shows the tank with some troops and the tank sets a farm building on fire. I am note sure which battle it is from but from what I can tell, it is one of the later
                      model T-34 that had the twin turret hatches. There is the number 25 in red on
                      the turret.

I have also seen the footage used before in a documentary on the Moscow counter-offensive but I don't think that this is where it is from because of the
                      version of the tank that was shown. If anyone knows more about this , please let me know.

I would like to make a diorama of this.

Michael

Comment

Andrey,

Great collection, thanks. I did not see my favorite, the political officer leading with a pistol wave near Kharkov.
                        That photo by Max Alpert was one of the highlights of an exhibition that we had here in Lisbon in May-July 2005. The catalogue stated that the subject, A. Yeremenko, was killed in action not long after. Many of Georgi Zelma's Stalingrad photos were also on display.

Comment

Originally posted by Corswandt
                          That photo by Max Alpert was one of the highlights of an exhibition that we had here in Lisbon in May-July 2005. The catalogue stated that the subject, A. Yeremenko, was killed in action not long after. Many of Georgi Zelma's Stalingrad photos were also on display.
                          He was also a political officer, not a combat arms officer.

Comment

He was also a political officer, not a combat arms officer.
                            The Soviet political officers often operated like regular officers in a battle. They often replace fallen regular commanders.

For example, Popel, a political officer, was appointed a chief of operational group of the 8th Mech Corps during the huge tank battle in the region of Dubno in the June of 1941. And Popel, a political officer, operated very well as the commander of that operational group and had lead out the remains of his group in a long raid in German rears.

It depended from a concrete political officer how he operated in a battle.

Comment

Great photo's! Love WW2 pics.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X