Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

most decorated Soviet Army units in WWII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• most decorated Soviet Army units in WWII?

Which Soviet Army units received the most decorations/commendations during World War II? Thanks in advance!

What does it mean - most decorated? In the end of the war a lot of Soviet units got many awards and got honourable names of cities and rivers where they fought especially well.

Comment

Andrey,

I think he is curious about the Guards Army units. In the American Army units get Battle Streamers to attach to the Battalion Colors for important battles and campaigns and also sometimes get Presidential Unit Citations. I am not sure if the Soviet/Russians had any similar system.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt
        Andrey,

I think he is curious about the Guards Army units. In the American Army units get Battle Streamers to attach to the Battalion Colors for important battles and campaigns and also sometimes get Presidential Unit Citations. I am not sure if the Soviet/Russians had any similar system.

Pruitt
        In WWII Soviet units got usual awards like a soldier or an officer.

Also a Soviet union can get honourable additional mention in its name about the place where it fought very well.

For example, a division can be called "303rd Bobruisk-Brest [fought very well in Bobruisk and Brest]Awarded by Order of Lenin and by two Orders of Combat Red Banner Rifle Division."

There are two most famous units of usual troops in modern Russia (if to not mention Airborne Troops) - "Tamanskaya" and "Kantemirovskaya" Divisions. Practically no one knows their full official name including their numbers, they are known by their additional names.

"Tamanskaya" and "Kantemirovskaya" means "Taman [Taman Peninsula - the large region where Novorossiisk is situated]" and "Kantemirovka" (a large village in the Ukraine) where those units fought so excellently in WWII that they got right to mention those places as a part of their official name.

The French Fighter Air Regiment "Normandie" fought very well in the region of the river of Neman and got honourable name "Normandie-Neman".
        Last edited by Andrey; 05 May 05, 05:48.

Comment

...and the 13th guards rifle division (you know, the Stalingrad div) got the title "Poltava" cause they liberated the city

the only one I knew..
          “Die in peace my brothers, but die quietly, so that we hear nothing but the faintest echo of your suffering…”

Comment

Many Soviet Army units received the decorations during World War II.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X