Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second in Command of 64 Army - Sept 1942

Greetings All,

I have been looking but can not find this small bit of info.

On September 12, 42 General Chuikov left the 64 Army to take over the command of the 62 Army in Stalingrad. My question is....Who took over Chuikov's old position as second in command at the 64 Army?

General Shumilov remained the commander of the 64/7 Guards Army until the end of the war...but who was second in command?

Thanks for any help!

Dann

NOTE: I find TsAMO docs (battle reports) signed by Major-General Shumilov, and Colonel Laskin. A this time the Chief of Staff was M.S. Laskin...Could he have taken Chuikov's place?
    Last edited by Dann Falk; 13 Feb 18, 14:01.

Greetings all,

At this point I must assume that no one has found an answer to the question "who took over as second in command at the 64 Army" after Chuikov left.

That only leaves Colonel Laskin, which is a good choice and logical. Maybe this info doesn’t show up in the historical record because everyone, at that time, knew he took over.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Dann Falk View Post
      Greetings All,

I have been looking but can not find this small bit of info.

On September 12, 42 General Chuikov left the 64 Army to take over the command of the 62 Army in Stalingrad. My question is....Who took over Chuikov's old position as second in command at the 64 Army?

General Shumilov remained the commander of the 64/7 Guards Army until the end of the war...but who was second in command?

Thanks for any help!

Dann

NOTE: I find TsAMO docs (battle reports) signed by Major-General Shumilov, and Colonel Laskin. A this time the Chief of Staff was M.S. Laskin...Could he have taken Chuikov's place?
      https://pamyat-naroda.ru/warunit/64%20%D0%90/
      says Chuikov on Aug. 4 was changed by Shumilov

I can see document dated Aug. 4'42 https://pamyat-naroda.ru/documents/v...l::types%5Cjbd

with Shumilov as commander of the 64 A

Possibly he became commander even earlier.
      If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

General Chuikov officially turned over command of the 64th Army to General Shumilov on 30 July 42. Shumilov had been at the army HQ for several days, but delayed taking over until the 30 July. Chuikov was then back to being second in command.

On September 12, 42 General Chuikov left the 64th Army to take over the command of the 62nd Army in Stalingrad, but I have found nothing that says who took over as second in command of 64th Army at that time. That is the question.

Comment

General Chuikov officially turned over command of the 64th Army to General Shumilov on 30 July 42. Shumilov had been at the army HQ for several days, but delayed taking over until the 30 July. Chuikov was then back to being second in command.

On September 12, 42 General Chuikov left the 64th Army to take over the command of the 62nd Army in Stalingrad, but I have found nothing that says who took over as second in command of 64th Army at that time. That is the question.
          http://samsv.narod.ru/Arm/a64/arm.html
          says Shumilov was set as army commander on July 27th.

The situation was complicated and he could be nominal commander, while real command was performed by his Head of HQ. It was normal practice.

Comment

So true...but who became #2...I think it was Laskin.

Comment

So true...but who became #2...I think it was Laskin.
              You need to study documents of this army that time. I can see many orders and operative reports in late July were signed by Colonel Novikov - Head of HQ of the 64th Army.
              Since Aug. 12 I can see sign of Colonel Laskin.
              Since ~Aug.4 I can see Maj.-General Shumilov to issue orders too.

Comment

Thanks for your comments.

I have looked at TsAMO archive docs, and took the time to translate the two or three names at the bottom. But none of the ones that I have seen, say or indicate who was second in command.

The army HQ was operating well, and I would think different staff officers were assigned to different jobs/positions. So they signed different reports.

I think it's strange that the top command structure of the 64th Army, during this time, is not written down somewhere for us to find.

That is why, in frustration, I say it must be Colonel Laskin.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X