Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Estonian "freedom fighters" did in Pskov region of Russia during WWII.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andrey,

From your various posts I've understood your views in these topics as follows:

Estonia deserved all it got from Soviet Russia because
    A. It concluded a treaty with Stalin and did not resist
    B. Its population wanted to be part of USSR
    C. Its population were and are wicked nazis
    D. Germans might have been far worse given time

Poland deserved all it got from Soviet Russia because
    A. It refused to conclude a treaty with Stalin
    B. The population of eatern part of Poland wanted to be part of USSR
    C. It was ancient Russian land

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pp(est)
      Andrey,

You are wrong!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
      Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

Another interesting development in the history mudwrestling match. Somebody threw red paint on the most prominent red army monument in the center of Tallinn on the morning of 9th May. This was widely regarded as embarassment by Estonians (who want the monument relocated not vandalised) and thought to be retaliation by some drunkard for the vandalisation of German soldiers' cemetaries in Narva a day before.

The police was severely scolded for letting this happen as it was just the ammunition needed by Putin to fuel our discreditting campaing (and I have been kind of surprised Andrey has not brought it up already). Well the police spent considerable effort and finally today caught the drunkard who did it. The interesting bit is that the drunkard claims to have been promised a payment of EEK 20 000 for the job by two prominent local Russians...

http://www.epl.ee/artikkel_291687.ht...096cba2f9dd6f1

Comment

Another interesting development in the history mudwrestling match. Somebody threw red paint on the most prominent red army monument in the center of Tallinn on the morning of 9th May. This was widely regarded as embarassment by Estonians (who want the monument relocated not vandalised) and thought to be retaliation by some drunkard for the vandalisation of German soldiers' cemetaries in Narva a day before.

The police was severely scolded for letting this happen as it was just the ammunition needed by Putin to fuel our discreditting campaing (and I have been kind of surprised Andrey has not brought it up already). Well the police spent considerable effort and finally today caught the drunkard who did it. The interesting bit is that the drunkard claims to have been promised a payment of EEK 20 000 for the job by two prominent local Russians...

http://www.epl.ee/artikkel_291687.ht...096cba2f9dd6f1
          Oooo! I know the answer. It's either:

All Western lies to make everyone hate the Russians....

or

Estonians paid the guy to do it and blame the Russians...

or

Estonians did it and framed the Russian guy to take the fall.

Any other ideas?
          Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

Well first of all I do have to agree with PP that most information supplied to us by Andrey is very much tainted by Soviet propaganda.

For instance, the terms given to Finland to exchange some areas with the USSR was not that bad of an offer, had the offer been made by a little more trustworthy person than Josif Stalin.

And also, when a country is offered the terms to either surrender willingly or be conquered, you can harldy speak of a free choice.

And most interestingly, the Soviet reason to attempt to invade Finland was that Finland had the capacity to threaten Leningrad (St. Petersburg) with artillery. Now all records from these times show that we had no artillery within striking range from Leningrad. Then supposedly, the Finnish artillery opened fire against Russian Red Army troops in the village of Mainila, with the guns we didn't have, for no other reason than to just be the cruel and evil Finns as we are. After the fall of the Soviet Union, information from its very archives have proved that the artillery shells that hit Mainila were indeed USSR's own guns and that the troops "hit" by these guns were brought in the vicinity just for the reason they could be "fired upon".
            Now, for reference, think of it like this: As a child playing in the sandbox, do you strike the boy from next door, who is three times heavier and twice your height, just because you CAN hit him?
            I most surely WOULD NOT DO such a thing.

And furthermore, to conquer the area north of Leningrad to prevent Finnish Artillery from firing upon Leningrad is one thing, but what does it have to do with plans to invade Kemi and Oulu, which are 700-800 kilometres from Leningrad? I would surely like to see the artillery that can fire at such ranges!

And yes, Andrey is right by stating that Finland couldn't have defended against the Soviet Union, and was brough to its knees, but to state that only Russian politics saved us from complete annihillation and occupation is complete bullocks. The Red Army never anticipated such resistance from the Finnish Army of considerably smaller manpower and munition. And the only thing that saved Finland from Soviet occupation was that Red Army officials falsely saw our defencive capability a lot stronger than what it actually was, and they did this twice, in 1940 which ended the Winter War and in 1944 wich ended the Continuation War. We gave them such a run for their money that they did not redeem conquest possible without enormous casualties - we had already twice stopped the unstoppable by halting the mayor Soviet summer offencives. The latter peace treaty was backed up by Stalin's wishes to concentrace all pressure against the Third Reich itself, I'll give you that much.

And what comes to WWII veterans, I believe that all men who fought in that war for their country are heroes, having survived the war in the front line adds to that. An individual person in those times rarely got to choose wether or not to fight.
            The only thing a man has is his honour - everything else can be taken from him by others, but only he may choose to loose his honour.

Comment

Here is an article in Russian newspaper.
              It is about the celebration of Masy, 9th in Latvia.
              (And it confirms my data that accirding the local law the veterans of Red Army had no right to carry their decorations in Latvia):

“The Memorial to the Heroes-Liberators which is in the center of Riga [capital of Latvia] was some times desecrated by local nationalists and was even blown up once but stood. In May, 9th it sank in flowers. All the square around the memorial was covered by tulips, narcissus and carnations to the evening. Even local police didn’t await such the influx of public. According the rough estimate of Russian Embassy in Latvia more than 100,000 men and women visited the memorial to bow before the Soviet soldiers of WWII-time. And the amount of the ethnic Latvians in that public was not less than amount of ethnic Russians. Commemorating the died with 100 grams vodka, many people tried to apply the formula which was scored for sound in the scandal declaration of Latvian President Vaira Vike-Freiberga. A little time ago she publicly complained that she was not able to make the WWII vets to change their mind. She said that the WWII vets will on May, 9th drink vodka, eat it with vobla [corned fish], lying on newspaper, and sing chastooshkas [archaic Russian people small funny songs]. Neither the Russians, nor the Latvians in the square liked to eat vodka with vobla but it didn’t mar their pleasure. Latvia-country celebrated 60th anniversary of the Victory together with Russia. Latvia-state ignored the anniversary: May, 9th was declared a working day and there was no Latvian flag between the flags that fly over the square of the soldiers-liberators.

There is no the holiday with the name of “Victory Day” in the Latvian calendar.

There is the date of the end of WWII which is celebrated in May, 8th. In that day the solemn ceremony of the placing of wreaths occurred in Riga’s common cemetery.

Eugene Ulmanis, the chief of the agency of the memorials of Riga, told me:

“The cemetery was established during WWI. Later “the Latvian shooters” who fought for the Bolshevicks during the Civil War in Russia, the participants of the struggle for independence of the 20th years of the XX Century, the soldiers, that were killed in WWII, and the Honored members of Communist Party were buried there.”

In the last years that place became the place of political battles. The last actions of those battles were the transferring the graves of the 150 members of Communist Party in other cemeteries and the honored burial of the transferring from Britain remains of General-Lieutenant Rudolf Bangerskis, the leader of Latvian SS-men. General Bangerskis was awarded by Hitler for the punitive actions of his subordinates which were made not only in Latvia but also in the villages of Byelorussia and Russia.

Latvian President Vaira Vike-Freiberga came in this not simple cemetery to place wreath together with her husband, Prime Minister, Chairman of Seim, Minister of Defense, Commanders of all types of Latvian Armed Forces and with the ambassadors of USA, Britain, Japan, Czechia, Israel, Finland, Poland, China and Ukraine. The ambassadors of Russia and Germany were not there.

After the ceremony I spoke with Brigade General Yuris Vetstirans, the chief of Riga’s garrison. He was very fascinating person. He even promised to place wreath in that day in Pokrovskoie cemetery where the Soviet soldiers killed in WWII were buried, and also in Jewish and Estonian cemeteries. But he had to do it without Latvian President.

“It is forbidden to us to carry our decorations”

The solemn actions which were organized by Russian Embassy began still in May, 6th. The performance of “Vasilii Tiorkin” was shown to veterans in the Theater of Russian Drama, there were 6 solemn ceremonies of the placing of wreaths near a few memorials and monuments.
              The main Embassy’s action was chic banquet for veterans in hotel “Radisson” in the bank of the Daugava. US President George Bush was in that hotel a few days earlier. 250 veterans drank vodka from Byelorussia, eat it with salmon and listened the patriotic songs which were singed by the best Russian speaking artists of Riga. After the end of the concert the veterans themselves began to dance and to sing songs. The veterans who were the guests of the banquet were not only the Russians, 40 of them were Latvians who fought in WWII in the side of Russia.

Gunar Karlovich Mentsenberg, the president of Latvian association of the soldiers of anti-Hitler coalition told:

“We, veterans-Latvians, live not better than veterans-Russians. Our pension is not more than 80 lats, it is approximately 160 dollars, and the two thirds of it is paid as rent. After the joining to EU the prices here increased in 2-3 times but our pensions stayed the same. It is sufficient only on food, we even didn’t think about medicine. At the same time our state gives an additional rise to the pension and different fringe benefits to the veterans who fought for Hitler. Commonly, their income is twice more than ours. We know that the life of the veterans in Russia is not too easy. But let they will not complain. They are at least considered “people” there. Do you know that according the local law we have no right to carry publicly our decorations? In the last Victory Day an our veteran put on his medals and sat in trolley-bus. But the driver said him: “I’ll not drive until you, damned occupant, will go out from the trolley-bus.” The other passengers supported the driver. And they turned out the veteran from the trolley-bus. To the point, the veteran was Latvian.”

Vobla became the symbol of holiday

On May, 9th the prohibition to carry the decorations was violated in the eyes of police in a half kilometers around the memorial to the Heroes-liberators. The situation was the same with the prohibition to drink alcohol in public places. Some people tried to reprove the veterans but they answered that President Vike-Freiberga commanded to drink vodka and to sing chastooshkas.

Vobla became the people symbol of Riga’s anniversary of the victory. The club of Latvian military history of “The Latvian shooter” even organized an action. Its president Andrey Krashoperov drove in the square a WWII-time jeep GAZ-67 which was produced in 1943. He placed on the cowling of the jeep the portrait of the President of Latvia, a bottle of vodka “Moskovskaya”, a glass, a few voblas and the book “Chastooshkas of the Russian people”. That exhibition was very popular and many people were photographed against a background of it.

Meanwhile, the flowers began to be arrived in the square before the memorial. They were selling for the distance of a kilometer along the street which leaded to the square. The richer people bought tulips for 20 santims (40 cents), the poorer people bought narcissus for 8 santims. Many veterans asked the youth to place their flowers to the memorial instead of them because it was difficult for the veterans to bend. There were very many young people who gave flowers to the veterans. I even noticed a large man who gave envelopes with money to veterans. The veterans had childish happy faces.

A group of young people in camouflage uniform with a white-blue-red Russian chevron operated on the square. They helped to veterans who began to feel bad. The young people called paramedics and carried the veteran to them. They helped to 7 veterans for the day.

“Who are you?” – I asked one of them.

“We are from the Committee of the protection of Russian schools” – A guy answered me but he didn’t want to speak more.

Public movements were represented by the Party of the Russian speaking people “ZapChEL” (“For the Human rights in united Latvia”) and National-Bolshevicks. One of their leaders is Benes Aio, he is half Russian and half Ugandian, he has the citizenship of Latvia but doesn’t consider himself as an Afro-Latvian:

“My Russian ancestors on mother’s line lived in this land still in the time when the Latvians were not established as a nation.” – Benes explained to me. - “I studied in historical faculty in University and I know very well the real history of Latvia. So let they will not speak me any rubbish like about “the occupation”

“Hitler was a Jewish and the Slavs are slaves”

Meanwhile a group of skinheads gathered in opposite bank of the Daugava, near the entrance in Museum of Occupation (former Museum of “the Red Latvian Shooters”). A few older radicals
              came together with them. Their common amount was about 20. They put on the Latvian patriotic songs on recorder and put out a few posters. “No to parasites Hitler, Stalin and Vizental” was in one of the posters. Vizental is the president of a public fund who promised to give a large prize to anyone who will find and hand over to justice a veteran SS-man who took part in punitive operations against the Jews. According Vizental’s opinion such men still stay in Latvia. A picketer with a swastika in his sleeve told it to me. And also he said me that “the Slavs” are from English “slave”. The name of the Latvian Nazi was Igor Shishkin [Russian name]

“But why are you against Hitler?”

”He is a Jew also. It became known not long time ago.”

Here a man stooped near the picketers, took off his hat and spited out in the side of the picketers. Then another man with flowers in his hands also spited out in their direction. Both the men went to a bridge – it looked like they were going to the monument to the heroes-liberators. Indignant Nazies were cooled by police.

And the opening of the exhibition to the Latvians who fought in WWII in the side of USSR occurred in the Museum of Occupation. Indeed, the exhibition was a temporal – only for a half year. And even there is an inscription that this theme was wrongly forgotten. The opening address was said by Brigade General Yuris Vetstirans with whom we met in Riga’s common cemetery. He publicly said that his father fought in the Red Army against the Hitlerites. He said that there were 100,000 such Latvians-soldiers of the Red Army. He said that those Latvians and the Latvians who fought for Hitler indeed fought for free and independent Latvia. He said that they see different way to the freedom.

Victory Day and Day of Independence: draw

After 6:00 PM o’clock the amount of the people in the square of heroes-liberators became to increase with huge rate. People went from work; many of them were released from work earlier than usually. According the opinion of policemen the amount of people who were there today was approximately equal to the amount of the people who usually celebrate Day of Independence in the opposite bank of the river. People moved in grass-plots because flowers forced out them from concrete territory. But soon and the grass-plots became covered by flowers. The sculptures of the soldiers going in an attack stood covering by flowers up to ankles. There was no such even in the time of USSR.

When it became to grow dusky candles began to fire between the flowers and the sea of the flowers became to be looked like the sea of blood. Sunset also looked bloody. The weather was splendid for all the day but it began rain right after the salute and people began to disperse. It looked like the scenario of this day was written in the heavens.”

Comment

Looking through this thread, I remembered why I don't visit this forum anymore. It is because of Andrey's political posts full of bullshit.
                “To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed…” -1984 about the Big Lie

Comment

Do you know that according the local law we have no right to carry publicly our decorations?
                  This is the quote that you wished to show and for that you borrowed a whole article so long no one really has the interest of going through it?

And this article concerns Latvians, while we are talking about Estonians. Two different nations.
                  The only thing a man has is his honour - everything else can be taken from him by others, but only he may choose to loose his honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas
                    This is the quote that you wished to show and for that you borrowed a whole article so long no one really has the interest of going through it?
                    I translated the article not FOR YOU only. If YOU don't want to know what I translated it doesn't mean that it is not interest for others. Not only Estonians and Finns are here.

About the phrase... If I wanted to show the phrase only I could to write only it with the remark who said the phrase.

And this article concerns Latvians, while we are talking about Estonians. Two different nations.
                    Who is speaking about Estonians only?

I wrote earlier that Russian TV said that in a Baltic country (I didn't remembered in what from 3 Baltic States) Soviet WWII veterans are prohibited to carry their decorations. I didn't speak that it is in Estonia.

Pp(est) said that it is only false and Russian propaganda. I do not believe that he lives in Estonia and doesn't know what is happening in neigbouring Latvia.

So I gave the proof that at least in Latvia Soviet veterans of WWII are prohibited to carry their decorations.

Comment

Andrey,

Mostly incorrect. You are not able to understand what I wrote not once. I do not want to repeat again too large amount of text.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas
                        Well first of all I do have to agree with PP that most information supplied to us by Andrey is very much tainted by Soviet propaganda.
                        Everything what you dislike is declares by you "a Soviet propaganda".

For instance, the terms given to Finland to exchange some areas with the USSR was not that bad of an offer, had the offer been made by a little more trustworthy person than Josif Stalin.
                        Yeah, but to make agreements with Hitler was better, may be, Hitler was more trustworthy person?

And also, when a country is offered the terms to either surrender willingly or be conquered, you can harldy speak of a free choice.
                        1. USSR didn't offer such things to Finland.

2. One example. Belgium in the start of WWI had such choice and Belgium choose "to fight" in hopeless situation.

And most interestingly, the Soviet reason to attempt to invade Finland was that Finland had the capacity to threaten Leningrad (St. Petersburg) with artillery. Now all records from these times show that we had no artillery within striking range from Leningrad.
                        It is so easy. If Finland had no such guns in a concrete moment of time it doesn't mean that Finland couldn't GET such guns a pair months later. Finland could buy it or get it from the Germans as a present or could let the Germans to use Finnish territory for German purposes.

Isn't it understandable?

Then supposedly, the Finnish artillery opened fire against Russian Red Army troops in the village of Mainila, with the guns we didn't have, for no other reason than to just be the cruel and evil Finns as we are. After the fall of the Soviet Union, information from its very archives have proved that the artillery shells that hit Mainila were indeed USSR's own guns and that the troops "hit" by these guns were brought in the vicinity just for the reason they could be "fired upon".
                        Now, for reference, think of it like this: As a child playing in the sandbox, do you strike the boy from next door, who is three times heavier and twice your height, just because you CAN hit him?
                        I most surely WOULD NOT DO such a thing.
                        You fight against a miracle. The modern Russian opinion is that Mainila shots were made by NKVD. Why did you spend your time for writing the text above if nobody disputes it now? May be, you are incompetent in modern Russian opinion and it is the reason of your words?

And furthermore, to conquer the area north of Leningrad to prevent Finnish Artillery from firing upon Leningrad is one thing, but what does it have to do with plans to invade Kemi and Oulu, which are 700-800 kilometres from Leningrad? I would surely like to see the artillery that can fire at such ranges!
                        I didn't hear about Kemi and Oulu. And you must know that Soviet offers contained not only the questions related to the preventing artillery strikes against Leningrad.

And yes, Andrey is right by stating that Finland couldn't have defended against the Soviet Union, and was brough to its knees, but to state that only Russian politics saved us from complete annihillation and occupation is complete bullocks. The Red Army never anticipated such resistance from the Finnish Army of considerably smaller manpower and munition. And the only thing that saved Finland from Soviet occupation was that Red Army officials falsely saw our defencive capability a lot stronger than what it actually was, and they did this twice, in 1940 which ended the Winter War and in 1944 wich ended the Continuation War. We gave them such a run for their money that they did not redeem conquest possible without enormous casualties - we had already twice stopped the unstoppable by halting the mayor Soviet summer offencives. The latter peace treaty was backed up by Stalin's wishes to concentrace all pressure against the Third Reich itself, I'll give you that much.
                        You speak the words which are pleasant for you as for loosing side.

In reality Finnish Army repelled only the first unprepared Soviet assault in December of 1939. In the result of the second Soviet assault Mannerheim line was broken and Finnish Army suffered huge casualties. To the time of the end of the war of 1939-40 Finland had no prepared fortified positions and Finnish Army was very weakened and practically was not able to resist.

The situation was the same in 1944. The fate of the war was already decided and Red Arny could win in Germany without the troops that were in Finland.

If USSR wanted it could grind Finland into dust in 1940 and in 1944. If USSR wanted it could build Communism in Finland in 1940 and in 1944. And it was not too difficult if to speak about military problems only.

And what comes to WWII veterans, I believe that all men who fought in that war for their country are heroes, having survived the war in the front line adds to that. An individual person in those times rarely got to choose wether or not to fight.
                        Your words are typical for a guy from former Axis country. It is easier to say that every soldier was a hero than to confirm that your countrymen fought for evil side.

Comment

I dunno why I even bother, since Andrey is just as thick as neo-nazis:

Originally posted by Andrey
                          Yeah, but to make agreements with Hitler was better, may be, Hitler was more trustworthy person?
                          When Stalin started making propositions for Finland, USSR was allied with Nazi Germany. Maybe you should understand this fact in the first place, although I understand your state suppressed the fact during and after the war against Germany.

1. USSR didn't offer such things to Finland.
                          USSR offered similar things to the Baltic States, before they "voluntarily" joined USSR...

It is so easy. If Finland had no such guns in a concrete moment of time it doesn't mean that Finland couldn't GET such guns a pair months later. Finland could buy it or get it from the Germans as a present or could let the Germans to use Finnish territory for German purposes.

Isn't it understandable?
                          Is it understandable to you that USSR was allied with Nazi Germany, and USSR and Finland had three agreements of non-aggression pact?

In reality Finnish Army repelled only the first unprepared Soviet assault in December of 1939. In the result of the second Soviet assault Mannerheim line was broken and Finnish Army suffered huge casualties. To the time of the end of the war of 1939-40 Finland had no prepared fortified positions and Finnish Army was very weakened and practically was not able to resist.

The situation was the same in 1944. The fate of the war was already decided and Red Arny could win in Germany without the troops that were in Finland.

If USSR wanted it could grind Finland into dust in 1940 and in 1944. If USSR wanted it could build Communism in Finland in 1940 and in 1944. And it was not too difficult if to speak about military problems only.
                          While it is true that the Finnish Army wouldn't had survived another month of the Winter War, it still had repulsed the invasion, and Soviet occupation. In August 1944 Finnish Army had never been more stronger and could easily repulse any attempts of further Soviet offensives (see the last "motti"-battles near Ilomantsi). The cost-effect was so high for the Ruskies that favourable peace agreement was chosen instead. There's no doubt for Finns that after Germany had crumbled USSR was too powerful an enemy and it led to a wide range of changes in Finnish politics (namely suppressing any anti-Soviet movements) in accordance with the armistice agreement.

Finnish communists with the help of the Soviets tried to turn Finland into a communistic muppet state after the war, but thanks to our democratic traditions it didn't happen.

Your words are typical for a guy from former Axis country. It is easier to say that every soldier was a hero than to confirm that your countrymen fought for evil side.
                          Well Finns chose the Axis side because USSR couldn't be trusted (see the Winter War). Still Finland was not officially allied to Germany, although de facto. That's why FE United States didn't declare war against Finland. USSR was an evil side fighting along the good guys against one evil nation.
                          “To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed…” -1984 about the Big Lie

Comment

Btw, it was the Soviet Army that took huge casualties during the Winter War. How incompetent can an Army of a big nation be if it cannot defeat an army of a nation with only 3.5 million people and which is not even adequately prepared for a prolonged fight?

Comment

Who is speaking about Estonians only?
                              Look at the title of this thread.

I wrote earlier that Russian TV said that in a Baltic country (I didn't remembered in what from 3 Baltic States) Soviet WWII veterans are prohibited to carry their decorations. I didn't speak that it is in Estonia.
                              Given that their information regarding Estonia was BS, I think it is fairly safe to assume that it was so also regarding Latvia. I am 99% certain that this applies to this newest bit as well.

Pp(est) said that it is only false and Russian propaganda. I do not believe that he lives in Estonia and doesn't know what is happening in neigbouring Latvia.
                              So I can assume that you know everything that goes on in neighbouring Turkey, China and Mongolia as well?!?

So I gave the proof that at least in Latvia Soviet veterans of WWII are prohibited to carry their decorations.
                              Next time I talk with my Latvian colleagues, I will ask them how many people there were in reality and whether they saw the Red Army veterans brandish their decorations. I expect the answer to be similar to what I saw with my own eyes here - a couple of hundred people and plenty of old Russian guys wearing all sorts of medals.

Comment

Mostly incorrect. You are not able to understand what I wrote not once. I do not want to repeat again too large amount of text.
                                I don't want you to repeat anything, but I would like it if you could summarise your views so that I and others could get an idea what you actually believe in. You repeat Soviet and some newer Russian propaganda almost verbatim and sometimes say you also have some critical views about it all, but never elaborate.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X