Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Stavka Strength

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stavka Strength

Greetings All,

Another quick question. How large was the Soviet Stavka High Command during WW2.

About how many people were within the organization? and were they all located in Moscow?

Also, if anyone can find it, a basic breakdown of the different sub-divisions within Stavka would be great....like the Planning department, Manpower, Mapping and so on.

Thanks for any help on this

Dann

http://encyclopedia.mil.ru/files/mor...andovaniya.pdf

Will help maybe
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Greetings Alex,

Thanks for the link....looks good. I will dig into it.

Dann

Comment

A simple answer: for all practical purposes Stavka was just Stalin and not more than a dozen of his advisors. There was no internal organization and sub-division and almost no formal regulations. You can view it a sort of military council. There was a more formally organized apparatus of the People's Commissariat for Defense and Red Army's General Staff which was employed for purposes of command and control.

Comment

Also an earlier topic here:
          http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=145845

Comment

Thanks Art for the info.

I wasn't very clear, I knew Stavka was a small group....but I was thinking about what related body/organization translated Stavka orders into military action? Was it People's Commissariat for Defense (NKO) or the General Staff, or maybe both?

Dann

Comment

Directives/orders were composed or written down by Stavka members and encoded and transmitted by the General Staff and its signal center. Situation reports from fronts were received and processed by the GS Operations Directorate. Its officers were giving Stalin a daily briefings on situation. There were also direct communications between Stalin and fronts or Stavka's representatives via telegraph/telephone. Sub-divisions of the People's Commissariat for Defense other than GS were dealing with such subjects as organizations, personnel, training, procurement, supply of all kind of material, training, morale and political indoctrination etc. The total size of the PCD central apparatus was easily comparable to a normal division.

Comment

Ahhh!

So the basic outline looked something like this...

Stavka
                General Staff (VGK?)
                People's Commissariat for Defense (NKO)
                Sub Units of PCD

In total 10,000 to15,000 people?

Comment

Red Army's General Staff was one of the sub-units of the People's Commissariat for Defense. See an organizational scheme described here:
                  http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...85&postcount=5
                  In May 1943 the strength of the PCD central apparatus was almost 10 000 men:
                  https://forum.axishistory.com/viewto...62241#p2062241
                  You should also remember about a separate command apparatus of the Soviet Navy and the NKVD forces. Stavka was only introduced in June 1941 (well, it actually existed for several months during the Finnish War) and it was supposed to be a supreme military council of top military and civil figures which was in command of military operations. Its power and operation were never strictly formalized, but you can safely consider it as a top level of military hierarchy.

Comment

OK Great...I see that NKO had 9,772 people in 43.

So the flow of orders (in general) was:

Stavka
                    PCD
                    General Staff
                    Sub units

Thanks once again for the clarification and your help.

Dann

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X