Abbreviation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abbreviation

In a Red Army General Staff document, "Collection of Tactical Examples from Experience in the Patriotic War" published in 1945, there is the use of what appears to be an abbreviation for a unit designation, for example:

N-skoi Shock Army, 2nd Baltic Front
    N-skoi Guards Rifle Corps
    N-skoi Rifle Corps

Does it mean unidentified, or undesignated? My dictionaries have not helped to determine the Russian word.

Appreciate any assistance.
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

This term was (is) used when narration is about hypothetic subject or when identity is concealed due to secrecy. Sometimes this adjective was used to mock secrecy.
    "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
      In a Red Army General Staff document, "Collection of Tactical Examples from Experience in the Patriotic War" published in 1945, there is the use of what appears to be an abbreviation for a unit designation, for example:

N-skoi Shock Army, 2nd Baltic Front
      N-skoi Guards Rifle Corps
      N-skoi Rifle Corps

Does it mean unidentified, or undesignated? My dictionaries have not helped to determine the Russian word.

Appreciate any assistance.
      This was used for secrecy, as dmf01 wrote.
      In some cases you can identify those units, because they are real ones.
      If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Thanks guys for the answer. What is the Russian word spelled out.

Agree, there was probably only one shock army in the Baltic Front at that date. The corps I will try to match location and date to order of battle for unit designation.

Again, appreciate the your time and comments.
        Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X