Ministries associated with Soviet Aviation Factories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ministries associated with Soviet Aviation Factories

This one is really esoteric, but I figured someone here has at least of chance of knowing somebody who might know.

I've been studying a document entitled Soviet Aviation Factories, 1921-1941, by Keith Dexter and put out on the net through Warwick University. Despite the title, it follows many of the factories organizational changes, in very short histories, heavy with acronyms, through or past the war. I think a number of people within the Armchair forum would find it interesting as a way of understanding the capacity of Soviet industry heading into the war and how they worked the near miracle of continuing and moving a crucial industry.

But, the human brain doesn't comprehend long lists very well and I'm working on a visual summary of some of the data. I can do a form of this without really understanding what the acronyms given to the various departments/sub-sections/ministries mean. But it is going to have considerably more value if we look at the data and know that VSNKh stands for "Supreme Council of the People's Economy" (for those who speak/read Russian...I don't...Vyhsii Sovet Narodnogo Khozyaistva)

Mr. Dexter clearly did a lot of hard work here. Unfortunately, there is no listing of what the acronyms mean. Some explanation is found within the text, and some have adjacent wording that make a reasonable guess feasible, but there are a number that just suddenly show up in the individual factory history. I tried to contact Mr. Dexter directly but have had no luck. The document is dated 2002 and he has almost certainly moved on, retired, etc..

I think the most important are:
    NKOM
    NKES
    NKTM
    OKB
    NKVMF
    NKL
    NKAP
    NKSM

Obviously, NK (People's Commissariats) prefixes most of them.
    Any help is appreciated.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Originally posted by F4UCorsair View Post

I think the most important are:
    NKOM
    NKES
    NKTM
    OKB
    NKVMF
    NKL
    NKAP
    NKSM

Obviously, NK (People's Commissariats) prefixes most of them.
    Any help is appreciated.
    NKOM (НКОМ) - Narkomat (ministry) of General Engineering
    (Наркомат Общего Машиностроения)
    NKTM (НКТМ) - Narkomat of heavy engineering
    (Наркомат тяжелого машиностроения)
    OKB (ОКБ) - Separate design department (Отдельное конструкторское бюро). but also can be research and development department (Опытно-конструкторское бюро) or Special design department (Особое конструкторское бюро)

NKVMF - Narkomat of Navy (Наркомат Военно-Морского флота)

NKAP - Narkomat of Air Industry (Наркомат авиационной промышленности)

NKES - Narkomat of Power Stations (Наркомат электростанций)

NKL (Narkomles) Narkmat of timber industry (Наркомат лесной промышленности, Наркомлес)

NKSM - Narkomat of medium Engineering (Nuclear industry) - Наркомат среднего машиностроения

Good luck in your fight against abbreviations
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

interesting stuff, yes it is for me - thanks Alex!

Comment

Thank you, AMVAS!
        This is far more than I had hoped for.
        Will let the forum know if the resulting research turns up anything of interest.
        "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Comment

Welcome
          If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X