Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by laszlo.nemedi
    I made some math on the figures (damn statistics):

USA+GB lost (died) 600,000 on 11 months fighting against the 1/3rd of the German Army (which was NOT the original German Army)
    (I didn't count the Free France forces, Polish, Canadian, Australian, etc... sorry)
    That figure seems rather high. http://ww2bodycount.netfirms.com/ gives total American dead in the whole war as 295,000 and British Empire and Commonwealth as 452,000.
    Signing out.

Comment

Killed or missing by nation:

Germany: 3,250,000
      UK: 305,800
      USA: 405,400
      USSR: 11,000,000
      Japan: 1,740,000

These figures are from John Ellis's WW2 Data Book
      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

What strange game is this?

I'll put up my 200.000 trucks against your 300.000 killed soldiers.

Okay then I'll disclose 600.000 machine guns against your 11.000.000 rifles....
        Dearest of all my Friends(Vlad in max payne 2)

Comment

Threads that gradually drift off subject

I was looking for Andrey to respond after this

Quote:
          Originally Posted by danjon
          Obviously given the numbers of germans and allies the russian casualty rate would be high, but as the germans used to say the russian way of putting out a fire is to throw bodies on it...
          to be fair tho numbers was a soviet asset that the germans couldnt match

It is a German myth which is repeated by the Western propaganda..

So I was interested in his explanation of the relatively high Soviet casualty rate in WW2.
          Signing out.

Comment

Originally posted by Full Monty
            Threads that gradually drift off subject

I was looking for Andrey to respond after this

So I was interested in his explanation of the relatively high Soviet casualty rate in WW2.
            I'll answer more later, I only want to say that my opinion id=s equal to Laszlo Nemedi's one.

Comment

Originally posted by owen36
              What strange game is this?

I'll put up my 200.000 trucks against your 300.000 killed soldiers.

Okay then I'll disclose 600.000 machine guns against your 11.000.000 rifles....
              sorry to hijack the thread, but Full Monty did it first

Full Monty: I used Ellis data book, too, and I made some assumption on the different theatre...

Ontopic: nothing
              a brain cell

Comment

ok just a couple of points about the british and french etc guys remember they or we were fighting since 1939 russia and america didnt come into the war until june and december 1941 respectivley ,the uk was then fighting on three fronts ,in the desert,europe and then the pacific etc when japan attacked their resources were already overstretched and were trying all they could to help the russian people ,for the spitfires were always in short supply and took longer to make where hurricanes didnt this is why they were sent so not many spitfires could be sent as they were needed for uk home defence etc ,also it wasnt until 1943 spitfires were sent yes ,why this is when the threat to the uk being invaded by the germans had passed ,if they had invaded the uk then russia may have fallen also .

now you can spit faults at me ...
                owner of the yahoo group for WW1 ,WW2 and Modern TO&Es
                (Tables of organisation & equipment or Unit of action )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Comment

Originally posted by thomas.tmcc
                  ok just a couple of points about the british and french etc guys remember they or we were fighting since 1939 russia and america didnt come into the war until june and december 1941 respectivley ,the uk was then fighting on three fronts ,in the desert,europe and then the pacific etc when japan attacked their resources were already overstretched and were trying all they could to help the russian people ,for the spitfires were always in short supply and took longer to make where hurricanes didnt this is why they were sent so not many spitfires could be sent as they were needed for uk home defence etc ,also it wasnt until 1943 spitfires were sent yes ,why this is when the threat to the uk being invaded by the germans had passed ,if they had invaded the uk then russia may have fallen also .

now you can spit faults at me ...
                  I think this thread is diverted very much, maybe we can start a new thread on different nations' contribution in the war...
                  (I agree, UK was the only nation willing to fight against nazism in the end of 1941 and first half of 1942. Without it the second front would have been never happened, and no lend-lease... ...I think we were very close to the German victory in Europe and Asia, and I am not sure about German victory in America but who knows...)
                  a brain cell

Comment

Originally posted by laszlo.nemedi
                    I think this thread is diverted very much, maybe we can start a new thread on different nations' contribution in the war...
                    (I agree, UK was the only nation willing to fight against nazism in the end of 1941 and first half of 1942. Without it the second front would have been never happened, and no lend-lease... ...I think we were very close to the German victory in Europe and Asia, and I am not sure about German victory in America but who knows...)
                    Hi laszlo I only tried to respond to what yourself and andrey had said about the spitfires for one and others ,remember the uk isnt as big a country like russia and the usa ,look at the casualties the uk had in terms of killed the uk had for a small nation 305,000 compared to others in % to population its a lot ,the usa and russia had what they said nearly in-exhausatable ? manpower ,look at 1944 the uk had severe manpower problems ,the leaders knew that ..

Comment

Hi laszlo I only tried to respond to what yourself and andrey had said about the spitfires for one and others ,remember the uk isnt as big a country like russia and the usa ,look at the casualties the uk had in terms of killed the uk had for a small nation 305,000 compared to others in % to population its a lot ,the usa and russia had what they said nearly in-exhausatable ? manpower ,look at 1944 the uk had severe manpower problems ,the leaders knew that ..
                      ah, OK, now I understand the Spitfire issue

(but you provoked me as the numbers are my favourits )
                      total mobilised percentage of the population (based on John Ellis, and a Hungarian statistical book published 1942!!!)
                      (Hungarian mobilised based on Hungarian books)

USA (16/133) 12%
                      Germany (18/109) 16%
                      USSR (21 or 26 /170) 16%-20%
                      Hungary ( 1 /14.7) 6%
                      Italy (9/45.5) 19%
                      Australia (0.99/6.9) 14%
                      Canada (1.1/11.2) 9.8%
                      India (2.58/361) 0.7%

UK (only the European parts, and of course it includes the Navy) (5,9/50.8) 11.6%

So it is around average... So nothing is proved
                      a brain cell

Comment

yeah i have the john ellis book too but doesnt prove it ,the uk 305,000 kia etc the usa 405,000 now how much had the usa as population compared to the uk ! a lot more . but I think we should leave this now .

Comment

yeah i have the john ellis book too but doesnt prove it ,the uk 305,000 kia etc the usa 405,000 now how much had the usa as population compared to the uk ! a lot more . but I think we should leave this now .
                          I agree on the KIA.
                          And I know UK losses in the WWI was really high, so the economy missed people in the inter-war timeframe. That's why Churchill was very frightened to send Brits into bloody battles.

I can leave this subject, but I am waiting for Full Monty answer

I like these "provoking" subjects because it makes me reading statistics, and sometimes I can find refutation of old myths...
                          a brain cell

Comment

I am very interested to see the discusion our upcoming major feature on Zhukov is going to generate on this forum! It should be intense.

It will be in the August issue.
                            Publisher
                            Armchair General Magazine
                            Weider History Group

Comment

ok just a couple of points about the british and french etc guys remember they or we were fighting since 1939 russia and america didnt come into the war until june and december 1941 respectivley ,the uk was then fighting on three fronts ,in the desert,europe and then the pacific etc when japan attacked their resources were already overstretched and were trying all they could to help the russian people
                              What fronts do you speak about?

The scale of those fronts was not equal to the Soviet-German Front. The fate of the war was decided in Russia.

,for the spitfires were always in short supply and took longer to make where hurricanes didnt this is why they were sent so not many spitfires could be sent as they were needed for uk home defence etc
                              What home defense atre you speaking? Practically all the German aircraft was in the Eastern Front after June of 1941.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey
                                What fronts do you speak about?

The scale of those fronts was not equal to the Soviet-German Front. The fate of the war was decided in Russia.

ok russia didnt join the war until 1941 the uk was fighting in north africa and over the skies in europe ,then when the japanese attacked ok

What home defense atre you speaking? Practically all the German aircraft was in the Eastern Front after June of 1941.
                                the germans still bombed the uk then raf fighters were still needed for uk defence .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X