Aquestion about Soviet aircraft rudder markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquestion about Soviet aircraft rudder markings

During WW II in general, Soviet combat aircraft had markings on the top of the rudder, sometimes referred to as the "forage cap". From what I understand the marks identified the regiment the aircraft belonged to (please correct me if I am wrong). Has anyone ever cataloged these unit markings ? Thanks in advance
    Michel

Originally posted by Michel View Post
    During WW II in general, Soviet combat aircraft had markings on the top of the rudder, sometimes referred to as the "forage cap". From what I understand the marks identified the regiment the aircraft belonged to (please correct me if I am wrong). Has anyone ever cataloged these unit markings ? Thanks in advance
    Michel
    Unfortunately there are no any good catalogue of aircraft markings as well as armored ones. Those markings were quite unstable and could be changed through the war. More or less stable markings existed since ~1943.

Regards
    Alex
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

That is too bad. There was some sort of system in existence in 1941, but it changed after the war began ? Any suggestion of sources I can look at ?

Thanks again
      Michel

Comment

That is too bad. There was some sort of system in existence in 1941, but it changed after the war began ? Any suggestion of sources I can look at ?

Thanks again
        Michel
        There were no any system in 1941.
        In summer 1941 tanks carried some insignia for identification from the air (white crosses on roofs, or white lines, or some other). Aircraft had almost no unique insignia, having standart green top and light-blue bottom.
        Some differences were in styles of board numbers, but again, everything depended on the qualification of painter and no any system.
        Experts ;ike MishaT from my forum can identify such planes, but I don't kknow any reference-book containing enough comprehansive study of that insignia fefatures. Information is very dispersed... Sorry here...

Regards
        Alex

Comment

Originally posted by amvas View Post
          Experts ;ike MishaT from my forum can identify such planes, but I don't kknow any reference-book containing enough comprehansive study of that insignia fefatures. Information is very dispersed... Sorry here...

Regards
          Alex
          I have read most of M. Timin's posts on your other web site and his article on Bobruisk airfield. He mentions the marking many times. This gave me the impression there was a system (maybe not official ?). Clearly he knows many things we don't.

Regards
          Michel

Comment

I have read most of M. Timin's posts on your other web site and his article on Bobruisk airfield. He mentions the marking many times. This gave me the impression there was a system (maybe not official ?). Clearly he knows many things we don't.

Regards
            Michel
            Yep. Experts having deal with aircraft usually have their own methods and databases of markings. But unfortunately they don't write investigations on this subjects except very few local samples

Regards
            Alex

Comment

I understand he is writing an article on the air war in the baltics...any news on how soon he will publish on this ?
              Regards
              Michel

Comment

I understand he is writing an article on the air war in the baltics...any news on how soon he will publish on this ?
                Regards
                Michel
                Ask him

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                  Berlin.1945
                  by casanova
                  The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                  Yesterday, 23:41
                • casanova
                  AW 169M
                  by casanova
                  The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                  Yesterday, 23:26
                • JBark
                  What changed?
                  by JBark
                  There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                  Yesterday, 18:54
                Working...
                X