russian units at the battle of berlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is another part from the Popel’s memoir:

It is a part of the talking of Katukov and the commander of a leading tank group about the actions of the group during the Vistula-Oder Operation in January-February of 1945

“Colonel Sobolev:

…Our group didn’t meet with a serious resistance in our last way to Lebus on the Oder, little groups of the Germans run away to Oder, we crushed them with a rush.

He stopped to speak, recalling something:

“Oh, yes, I met a few my old acquaintances – members of Volkssturm”

“Where did you meet with those very strange acquaintances?” – Katukov asked.

“I met them firstly during the combats in the region of Konin. We broke a Volkssturm unit and captured a few hundred prisoners. What to do with them? It was impossible the send them in our rears as our infantry left behind of us in a half of a hundred kilometers. And we couldn’t take the POWs with us as it is impossible to place a POW in a tank. Our guys asked the POWs: “Where are you from?” They answered: “We are from Brandenburg Province, it is not far from here”. And ours spoke: “So, let go home. But look, do not fight more against us. Your sons and grandsons couldn’t stop us so you much the more will not stop us. Auf viderzeen (“Good bye” (in German)).” And the old men turned out the honest-minded people – they came home and hided in the forests and basements… When they saw me they began to reprobate me: “Why did you, Herr Russian officer, go to us for a so ling time? SS-men had time to capture and to hang as deserters a half of us. It was better if you took us as POWs in our last meeting!”

Sobolev was silent for some time and then continued:

“Commonly, there were some amazing meetings in that raid. It was not the road but a real International. The landlords run away, the guards of concentration camps run away when they heard the sound of tank engines. And the POWs and slaves began to move to the East. All the motor road was full of them. An old woman drove on a cart, her children sat on a few bales – we look and see the white-red arm-band [Polish symbol – rem. of Andrey] on their hands. Our guys began to shout: “Hello from Poland, we were there not long time ago, we are moving from Poland.” And the people from the cart are waving by caps. Then we saw the group of the people who were moving on bicycles. They had short jackets, green berets with stars and stripes. Was it possible that these were Americans? We know English even the less than Polish. Suddenly one of them began to speak, it was difficult but we could understand him: “I am America, my grandfather is Ukraine. We were airdrop, we are prisoners. We are moving in Moscow, I and you, Oklahoma and Ukraine, OK?” Then some Italians arrived, and then some Dutchmen came to us. Later we met some African, probably, they were from the troops of De Goll. In the end we met even some swarthy men with turbans on their head, it were the Indians from the British Army. And we felt very fine! It looked like we saw by our eyes that we carry freedom to the whole World. But the most of all were ours – people from Bobruisk, Poltava, Chernigov.

Suddenly our column stopped. I saw that junior lieutenant Pudov, the commander of the leading tank, began to embrace a girl with a red kerchief over her head. He was shouting like he was crazy: “Olia! Sister!” He saw her through an observation slit and jumped down from the moving tank and hardly was not under the tank’s tracks. Here is a drama! But we have no to stop, we have no to slow down our motion. He began to bid farewell to her but she was crying and clutched at her brother. They didn’t see each other for three years, they didn’t know anything about each other for all this time. He said to her: “I must go, I must go in the other side of the Oder, here my commander is waiting for me.” And he showed me to her. She run to me: “Comrade Commander, let me to move together with you, I know short roads, I know where there are no Germans in the bank of the Oder!” I was lucky. I said: “Climb into your brother’s tank, lead us to the Oder!” And she leaded us to the Oder… ”

Comment

WOW no other words for that mate ! ...
      owner of the yahoo group for WW1 ,WW2 and Modern TO&Es
      (Tables of organisation & equipment or Unit of action )

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Comment

Originally posted by thomas.tmcc
        WOW no other words for that mate ! ...
        How is my English? Is it understandable enough?

I hope to translate Popel's books...

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey
          How is my English? Is it understandable enough?

I hope to translate Popel's books...

yeah your english is fine ,more books good ,why dont you join my yahoo TO&Es group ? .

thomas

Comment

yeah your english is fine ,more books good ,why dont you join my yahoo TO&Es group ? .

thomas
            I have no that game.

It is not so easy in Russia to buy the games which are selling in the West...

Comment

I have no that game.

It is not so easy in Russia to buy the games which are selling in the West...

andrey its not a game it is like a discussion group like here ,but about tables of organisation and equipment ( TO&Es )

understand ? .

Comment

andrey its not a game it is like a discussion group like here ,but about tables of organisation and equipment ( TO&Es )

understand ? .
                I am not too interested now in such detailed info about RKKA and RKKA units. I prefer to read about battles than about the equipment and OOB.

Comment

I am not too interested now in such detailed info about RKKA and RKKA units. I prefer to read about battles than about the equipment and OOB.
                  this isnt just about one country its all of the worlds orbats etc ....

Comment

According to other threads, the Western version of WWII history never happened, nor the Soviet version, either. In fact, the Great Patriotic War never happened. The whole thing has just been a media-induced misunderstanding, which means there were no Russian troops at the Battle of Berlin, because there was no battle.

The Russians were simply touring the countryside and were invited to see Berlin by their friends, the Germans. So of course they were nice to each other. Why shouldn't they be?

There is a rumor going around that all of the WWII threads are going to be closed by the forum, since it turns aout that none of it ever really happened. Just a lot of bad information and irresponsible news reporting.

Looks like we'll need something else to talk about from now on...
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

hello alex any update on the russian units at berlin from your friend ? .

thomas

Comment

Vasilii Subbotin

“Colonel” Berest

Not many people know that there were combats in Reichstag for two days after the moment when we raised our flag over it.

One and a half thousand Germans, who were transferred in Berlin from the Baltic already during the siege of Berlin, were in the basement. They shot “fausts” in us. They had a lot of this powerful jet weapon in the basement. But when it became clear that they wouldn’t return the control on Reichstag they had burnt it. But probably, it had burnt itself in the result of the explosions of the “fausts”.

It was burning so as any house burns and there were a lot of things in Reichstag that could burn: furniture, the paint on the walls; parquet was distending and burning. Smoke and the flame became seen in the windows and in the holes in the walls. A handful of our soldiers – nearly 300 men, may be, some more than 300! – was fighting inside the burning building.

But the tenseness of the situation was not only in that.

At the morning of May, 1st – at the 1,410th day of the war – Soviet Information Bureau declared that our troops in the center of Berlin had captured the building of Reichstag and had raised the Banner of the Victory over it. Stalin repeated it in his 1st of May’s Holiday Order.

In that time Te Deums were at Paris, London, and New York. If to turn on a radio set so there was the tolling of bells on air… And in that time our soldiers, crowded to a wall by the flame and covering their faces by their sleeves, were fighting in the burning building.

The commander of the battalion received the massage that he could lead out his men from the building: “Go out from the Reichstag, organize all-round defence and then begin to capture it again when the building will burn out.”

But it was already no path to go out. The soldiers, panting with smoke, gathered in one narrow room. They had put on gas-mask (not each of them had a gas-mask) and lay in the floor. And flame began to enter there.

Suddenly something collapsed with a crack. A little yellow smoke began to enter from the hole in the wall. But it was not a new danger, it was a rescue… The soldiers crossed through that sudden hole in a neighboring room which already had burn out.

The Germans didn’t achieve anything. And the banner didn’t burn; it continued to fly over the Reichstag and only became slightly covered with soot.

When the flame began to disappear all the exits from the basement were blocked again…

The morning of May, 2nd began.

Suddenly we saw that a white flag in the deep of the basement.
                        A German officer appeared in the bottom landing of the stairs. His greatcoat was opened wide, and he had a pistol in his hand. He declared that the German command was ready to enter into negotiations. But… they would do it with a high rank officer only.
                        Berest went to the Germans in the stairs…
                        Berest was the Deputy of the Battalion Commander on Political Matters. He was a lieutenant. And he had this rank only for a few days: he got an order about new rank when we were entering in Berlin. Before that he was a junior lieutenant. But he was the deputy of Neustroev, the commander of the battalion, already for a few months…

Alexei Berest was only 22 years old. And he went to the Germans.

It goes without saying that he was chosen for that mission. Probably, it was Berest himself who said that he would go.

A soldier poured to him a little water from his water bottle, and Berest washed his face from soot. He looked neatly even now, after two days of heavy combats. Yesterday he lay in one shell-hole together with the soldiers of his battalion. Then he took part on the placing of the banner with two scouts- Egorov and Kantariia… Now he was inside of the Reichstag for a day and a night together with his soldiers.

Berest put on an alien leather long jacket over his soldier’s blouse. Captain Matveev gave his new peaked cap to Berest.

Neustroev also went together with Berest. But he didn’t put on anything, he even took off his quilted jacket for his medals and orders were seen. Berest had only a few awards but Neustroev had a lot of awards… They decided that it would be more considerable!

Also they took a soldier together with them. He was a former POW who was released not long time ago during the combats in the Oder. He could some speak German.

The Germans were ready beneath to the appearance of our three men. It was bright there. Torches were burning. Some German soldiers encircled them right away. The Germans had weapon in their hands; their helmets were covered camouflage net.

Another German began to move to ours. Berest peered at that man. The German was a colonel! There were two seamen together with him, they were cadets. Also a woman-translator clothed in a yellow jacket was together with them.

The soldiers-Germans gave way to them.

The German colonel extended a hand to Berest. But Berest raised his hand to his peaked cap and said: ”I am Colonel Berest.”

Berest stood with raised head; he was clothed in black leather jacket. A real Commissar stood before the Germans! He was stately, broad-shouldered, and sure of himself. A German said: “He is so young but he is already a colonel!”

The Germans practically didn’t look on Neustroev. He imperceptibly stood aside. Only his awards sparkled. (Undersized Neustroev looked very small nearly large Berest.). When Berest spoke something to him Neustroev, the battalion commander, industriously clicked his heels…

“I offer you to surrender!”, - Berest said. “You are in the basement, you are encircled. Your situation is hopeless..”

But he was answered: “It is not so clear whose situation is worse… Your amount is only 300… But our amount is ten times more.”
                        Berest said: “Lay down arms. We’ll not let you go out from here…” Then Berest looked on his watch, he showed that he wanted to finish the talks.

The German representative began to try to prove that it were Berest’s men who were in bad situation… And suddenly the German demanded to let them go in the region of the Brandenburg gate…

It was difficult for Berest to restrain himself. He was too young, he was only 22 years old and he forgot that he had a diplomatic mission in that moment.

He said firmly to the Germans:

“Why had we came in Berlin? Do you suppose that we did it to let you go away now? If you not surrender we’ll eliminate you!..”

The German colonel began to protest:
                        “Mr. Colonel, one is not supposed to speak so with a bearer of a flag of truce”

Berest didn’t agree with him.

The seamen were silent, the woman-translator was nervous.

Suddenly the German colonel began to speak Russian and he spoke Russian well enough:

“We know our situation and we want to surrender. But your soldiers are too excited… You have to lead out them from the building and … to line up them. Otherwise, we’ll not go out and surrender!”

Berest answered:

“No. I went here, in Berlin, from Moscow not to line up my soldiers before you… And I’ll not do it even if your amount is 2,000 and our amount is 200.”

There was no reason to stay more here. Berest saluted, Neustroev also saluted.

The soldier-translator and Neustroev heard, raising on stairs behind Berest, how “Colonel” Berest muttered angrily: “Vermin! Vermin!”…

The Germans who fought in the basement of the Reichstag surrendered in the night, right before the next morning.

And in that case our representative in the negotiations about their surrender was Senior Sergeant Sianov…

Comment

thanks to amvas for this if anyone else can help with the other regiments in the divisions thanks .

Hi, THOMAS.
                          Now I can give approximate OOBs which must be verified

RR -Rifle Regiment

8th guards army
                          4th guards rifle corps
                          35th guards rifle div (100,101,102 RR, 148(65) Gds. Art Reg.
                          37th Gds. AT Art. Bn., 34th Gds. Recon Company, 38th Gds.
                          Sapper Bn....)

47th guards rifle div (137,140,142 Gds. RR, 99 Gds. Art. Reg.,
                          55 Gds. AT Bn., 48 Gds. recon company, 50 Gds Sapper Bn....

57th guards rifle div ( 170,172,174 Gds. RR, 128 Gds. AR, 64 Gds
                          AT Art. Bn., 59 Gds recon company, 67 Gds. Sapper Bn)

28th guards rifle corps
                          39th guards rifle div (112,117,120 Gds. RR, 87 Gds. Art.
                          Reg.,43 Gds. AT Bn., 41 Gds. recon company, 45 Gds. Sapper, Bn

79th guards rifle div (216,220,227 Gds. RR, 172 Gds. Art.
                          Reg.,83 Gds. AT Bn., 80 Gds. recon company, 88 Gds. Sapper, Bn

88th gurads rifle div (266,269,271 Gds. RR, 194 Gds. Art.
                          Reg.,96 Gds. AT Bn., 93 Gds. recon company, 102 Gds. Sapper, Bn

29th guards rifle corps
                          27th guards rifle div (74,76,83 Gds. RR, 54 Gds. Art.
                          Reg.,32(?) Gds. AT Bn., 23 Gds. recon company, 29(?) Gds. Sapper, Bn

74th guards rifle div (226,236,240 Gds. RR, 257 Gds. Art.
                          Reg.,82 Gds. AT Bn., 76 Gds. recon company, 85 Gds. Sapper, Bn

82nd guards rifle div (242,244,246 Gds. RR, 185 Gds. Art.
                          Reg.,86 Gds. AT Bn., 83 Gds. recon company, 91 Gds. Sapper, Bn

That's all I can help now...

Comment

Thomas,

Let me check on the OBs.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Konev
                              Thomas,

Let me check on the OBs.

Craig

thanks craig its the regiments of the divisions near the battles of the chancellory ,gestapho HQ etc .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X