Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guards Mortar (Rocket Artillery) Formations

AMVAS,

Can you translate your question from the RKKA Forum and post it here?

I do have some information on the formations and units.

Craig

He asked:

1. What was official name of "Katiusha" units?

2. If "Katiusha" units had name Guards Mortar Units so how did units with usual mortars were called when they got rank "Guards"?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey
      He asked:

2. If "Katyusha" units had name Guards Mortar Units, so how did units with usual mortars were called when they got "Guards" rank ?
      Yep and also how many common mortar units which got "Guards" rank
      If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

AMVAS

The difference between the Guards Mortar and the "Guards Mortar" (Rocket) were the designation:

The rocket artillery (Katyushas) were called Guards Mortar (Rocket Artillery).

In BSSA, a Rocket unit would be abbreviated "gmbp/gmp/gmdn" while a Guards Mortar unit would be "gminbp/gminp/gmindn"

I have the list at home which Mortar units became Guards (its from "The Red Army in Victory and Defeat 1941-1945")

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Konev
          AMVAS

The difference between the Guards Mortar and the "Guards Mortar" (Rocket) were the designation:

In BSSA, a Rocket unit would be abbreviated "gmbp/gmp/gmdn" while a Guards Mortar unit would be "gminbp/gminp/gmindn"

I have the list at home which Mortar units became Guards (its from "The Red Army in Victory and Defeat 1941-1945")

Craig
          Yep, now I can see the same from BSSA (just downloaded). But sometimes I can see mortar regiments abbreviation written as "MP", but not "MinP". This confuses me...

Comment

AMVAS,

You downloaded BSSA? (Don't worry, I already have all five volumes)

DO you have the web site address forom where you downloaded it?

Craig

Comment

AMVAS,

You downloaded BSSA? (Don't worry, I already have all five volumes)

DO you have the web site address forom where you downloaded it?

Craig
              I downloaded it from my own mailbox

Comment

AMVAS

Craig
                But what is with full name?

For example, both GMP and GMinP mean "Gvardeiskii Minomiotnyi Polk" (Guards Mortar Regiment)

How to differ full names of GMP and GMinP?

Both "M" and "Min" mean the same word "Minomiotnyi".

Comment

Andrey,

The rocket formations are called "Guards Mortar... (Rocket Artillery)

The regular mortar formations are just called "Mortar..."

Also, the only mortar Brigade I found that was awarded GUards, but stayed a with regular mortars was the 21st Mortar Brigade, which became the 35th Guards Mortar Brigade.

Craig

Comment

Andrey,

The rocket formations are called "Guards Mortar... (Rocket Artillery)

The regular mortar formations are just called "Mortar..."

Also, the only mortar Brigade I found that was awarded GUards, but stayed a with regular mortars was the 21st Mortar Brigade, which became the 35th Guards Mortar Brigade.

Craig
                    It was the meaning of MY question - how to differ usual Katiusha units and Guards units with usual mortars?

Comment

Andrey,

The rocket formations would be "gmbr/gmp/gmdn" while the regular mortar formations would be "minbr/minp/mindn" and if a regular mortar unit becomes "Guards" they add "gv." before the abbreviation"

Does that help?

Craig

Comment

Andrey,

The rocket formations would be "gmbr/gmp/gmdn" while the regular mortar formations would be "minbr/minp/mindn" and if a regular mortar unit becomes "Guards" they add "gv." before the abbreviation"

Does that help?

Craig
                        No, it doesn't help.

GmBr is short name.

I speak about FULL name.

Difference in short name ("M" amd "Min") disappears in full name.

For example, if a short name is "the 145th RD" so the FULL name is "the 145th Rifle Division".

What will be FULL name of units, equipped by usual mortars, that got rank "Guards" and of Katiusha units?

Comment

Andrey,

Those with regular mortars and awarded Guards would be called "Guards Mortars".
                          Those equipped with rockets would be called "Guards Mortars (Rocket Artillery)" (at least that is what BSSA says

Craig

Comment

Andrey,

Those with regular mortars and awarded Guards would be called "Guards Mortars".
                            Those equipped with rockets would be called "Guards Mortars (Rocket Artillery)" (at least that is what BSSA says

Craig
                            The first reason of this discussion was how to translate in English FULL names of "Katiusha" units.

Dann Falk wrote the OOB of the 62nd Army, and that list contained some units which were called "Guards Mortar Regiments".

I suppose that those units were "Katiusha" units and said that it is incorrect to translate their FULL name by such a way.

Did I understand you correctly that according your opinion "Katiusha" units must be called "Guards Mortars (Rocket Artillery)" for differing them from common mortars Guards units?

And there is a problem how to call them in Russian:

"Guards Mortar Regiment" means "Gvardeiskii Minomiotnyi Polk".

I heard the version "Polk Gvardeiskikh Minomiotov" ("Regiment of Guards Mortars") as a name of Katiusha unit.

But AMVAS speaks that "Katiusha" regiments were called "Gvardeiskii Minomiotnyi Polk" and not "Polk Gvardeiskikh Minomiotov". In this case they have the same name like common mortars Guards units.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey
                              He asked:

2. If "Katiusha" units had name Guards Mortar Units so how did units with usual mortars were called when they got rank "Guards"?
                              My recall is that they were called Missile (or Rocket) Artillery units (raketnie artilleriya)
                              Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                              (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X