Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFF TOPIC - Ice Hockey

It is about Ice Hockey.

“Avangard” (“The Vanguard”) from Omsk, my home city’s Ice Hockey Team, became the Champion of Russia in the season of 2003-2004.

And there is a Cup of the European Champions on the Ice Hockey in St.Petersburg now. The champions of six European countries – Slovakia, Czech, Russia, Germany, Sweden, Finland - are taking part in this tournament.

“Avangard” from Omsk represents Russia in this tournament. In the Russian championship during home matches “Avangard” plays in the Omsk Sport Palace that is in two kilometers from my home.

Now some former and current NHL players play for “Avangard” – Oleg Tverdovskiy, Andrey Kovalenko, and, the most famous player of NHL, Jaromir Jagr. One of the two main goalkeepers of “Avangard” is Norm Maracle, an American Indian.

They have the nickname “Omskie Iastreby” (“Omsk Hawks”).

A day before yesterday “Avangard” won 6:1 (!!!) the match against the “Dukla“, the Champion of Slovakia, which was considered the most powerful team of that tournament before the beginning of it..

One hour ago “Avangard” crushed 9:0 (!!!) the “HV-71”, the Champion of Sweden.

Omsk is triumphing. St-Petersburg’s public is delighted with the success of the club from a Siberian city.

Norm Maracle secured the gate of “Avangard” in both those matches.

“Avangard” went out in the Final of the Cup of the European Champions 2005 and will play the Final game tomorrow.

It is a great success!
    Last edited by Andrey; 17 Jan 05, 21:25.

Seriously, I hope teh NHL is dead and buried now. You can keep all those big whiners we used to call superstar players. I think the league format you have is better than the NHL (it resembles the football format).

Seriously, I find it really cool that a siberian hockey club is winning. In the NHL, it's been more than 10 years since a canadian club has won the stanley cup. No money, no cup...

"Now some former and current NHL players play for “Avangard” – Oleg Tverdovskiy, Andrey Kovalenko, and, the most famous player of NHL, Iaromir Iager."

Wrong, Mario "Le Magnifique" is still playing hockey!
    “Die in peace my brothers, but die quietly, so that we hear nothing but the faintest echo of your suffering…”

Comment

The Russian Hockey League is very similar to NHL.

Firstly the teams play a regular championship.

Then the eight best teams (the teams that occupied the 1st – 8th places in the regular championship ) play a play-off till three victories.

In the season of 2003-2004 the “Avangard” was the third in the regular championship. As a result in the final where the “Avangard” played against the “Metallurg” from Magnitogorsk, “Matallurg” which was the first in the regular championship had the advantage of a home field.

The first and the second games were at Magnitogorsk and the “Avangard” lost both the matches. So the “Avangard” had to will all the remaining matches if it wanted to become a champion. And “Avangard” did it! Firstly the “Avangard” have won two home matches and the score have became 2:2. And then the “Avangard” won the decisive match at Magnitogorsk where “Metallurg” had the advantage of a home field.

So the Russian Hockey League system differs from a football (soccer) championship.

Also the Russian Hockey League has restrictions on the amount of foreigners – not more than three foreigners can play in a match. So Russian Hockey League develops a Russian Hockey and mainly Russian players (the citizens of Russia) play on this league.

Also the Russian Hockey League has the only one group of teams not some the ones like NHL.

Also the Russian Hockey League is considered a National League not a private enterprise like NHL.

Comment

Congratulations Andrey!! I still remember when the Canadian National Olympic Hockey team beat the USA in 2002 at the Winter Olympics, coached by one of our greatest players Wayne Gretsky. I have to say I am impressed Russia is supporting local players. The NHL is not at all the same as you said. All about money...and so many teams have left Canada for the US. I mean Florida? Well nothing against our neighbours and friends enjoying hockey and all but we really have lost a lot in Canada.

Comment

They did it!

Yesterday, at 16:00 of Moscow time the Final of The Cup of European Champions occurred.

The "Avangard" (Omsk, Russia) played against the "Karpat" (Ouluh, Finland).

Norm Maracle, an American Indian, again was the goalkeeper of the "Avangard".

The teams had to play three 20-minutes periods.

In the case of a drawn result the teams had to play 20-minutes overtime up to the any goal which had to become a decisive.

In the case on no goal in overtime the teams had to make a set of a few penalties (bullits?).

The "Avangard" began his attacks from the first minutes of the match. The Finnish team used the tactics of a well-organized defense. The Finnish defense and its excellent goalkeeper broke the attacks of "Avangard". Moreover, in the 1st period the "Karpat" even made a goal as a result of a counterattack. "Avangard":"Karpat" - 0:1. So "Avangard" was losing so Finns had to continue their defense tactics for the victory in this match.

In the 2nd period the "Avangard" continued its attacks, Finns made a few very dangerous counterattacks but Norm Maracle was excellent. The players of the "Avangard" became irritable, they couldn't to penetrate Finnish defense and if they broke it so the Finnish goalkeeper played excellently. All the public in St. Petersburg's Hockey Stadium was scanned "A-van-gard! A-van-gard". The agitation was increasing. The "Avangard" played much better but was losing. The 2nd period finished, but the "Avangard" was still losing.

In the 3rd time the "Avangard" began to play easy, he organized one attack after another one. Sometimes only a miracle saved the Finnish gate. The puck hit a cross-bar of the Finnish gate after the blow of Oleg Tverdovskii! The agitation is increasing and increasing. The public has no force to scan, the people are sitting in the extreme excitement. At the 11th minute of the 3rd period Jaroslav Bednar, a Czech player of the "Avangard", came in the Finnish zone and gave the pass to Jaromir Jagr, a second Czech player of the "Avangard". Jaromir Jagr is moving with the excellent speed, he makes raid on the left from the Finnish gate, moves behind the gate and gives the pass to Alexander Kaliuzhnyi. Alexander Kaliuzhnyi makes a blow and the puck hits the nearby upper corner of the Finnish gate. G-O-A-L!!! The public is rejoicing, many players of the "Avangard" went out on the ice field to congratulate Alexander Kaliuzhnyi. Score is 1:1 now.
          The "Avangard" continues its attacks but can not make a goal in the remaining time of the 3rd period.

The overtime begins. The teams play with 4 players on the field instead of 5 ones in during usual game, it is a rule of overtime. The situation is the same like in the 3rd period - the "Avangard" is attacking, the "Karpat" is defending. It looks like the "Karpat" wants to decide the fate of this match in a set of a few penalties (bullits?). But here on the 12th minuts of the overtime two players of the "Avangard" are approaching to the alone defender of the "Karpat". Maxim Sushinskii gives the very exact pass to Jaromir Jagr, and Jaromir Jagr, the Czech Hockey Star, hits the Finnish gate. G-O-A-L!!! It is a victory!!! All the team of the "Avangard" went out on the ice field and is embracing Jaromir Jagr. Then they took out Valerii Belousov, coach of the "Avangard", on the ice field and began to lift up him. The public is rejoicing. The commentators speak that Jaromir Jagr was not looked so happy even when he was a winner of the Stanley Cup.

It continues for some minutes.

But here the official procedure of an awarding began.

The players of the "Avangard" got the golden Cup of the European Champions and are kissing it in turn. They are all smiling.

Especially it is pleasant to see the smiling happy face of Norm Maracle. It was he who was the goalkeeper of the "Metallurg" when the "Mettalurg" lost the final of Russian Championship in the spring of 2004 in the matches against the "Avangard". I remember how my brother and I were looking the final decisive match of the spring of 2004 when the "Avangard" became the champion of Russia. At that day the players of the "Avangard" were as happy and smiling as they are now. Valerii Belousov, coach of the "Avangard", was really crying in that moment. And suddenly in that time a TV operator showed Norm Maracle, the goalkeeper of the "Mettallurg", who stood motionless and looked very unhappy in the moment when the players of the "Avangard" were rejoicing. It was a very pity for me to look on unhappy Norm Maracle in that moment, my brother said that he had the same feeling in that moment. But now Norm Maracle is happy, he is smiling, and it was the "Avangard", his former "offender", with which he got such a large success now.

So they did it!

The "Avangard" have won the Cup of the European Champions, the "Avangard" won "the club Championship of the Europe"!

Comment

To the point, Norm Maracle is Canadian and not Us citizen.

Comment

Ahhh good we have already plenty of Russians here on our teams.

Comment

Today Omsk TV said that it is possible that the Winner of the Cup of European Champions (Omsk "Avangard") will play with the Winner of the Stanley Cup.

Comment

Congratulations Andrey and to the "Omsk Hawks". I know of Oleg Tverdovsky (good defenseman) and Andrei Kovalenko, but isn't Jaromir Jagr from the Czech republic??
                  Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                  (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Originally posted by hogdriver
                    Congratulations Andrey and to the "Omsk Hawks". I know of Oleg Tverdovsky (good defenseman) and Andrei Kovalenko, but isn't Jaromir Jagr from the Czech republic??
                    Yes, Jaromir Jagr is a Czech. In the Russian Championship 1-3 foreigners can play in a match.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey
                      Today Omsk TV said that it is possible that the Winner of the Cup of European Champions (Omsk "Avangard") will play with the Winner of the Stanley Cup.
                      Won't happen this year Andrey as our "Milionnaires" refuse a salary cap, hence no season. After all, it is difficult for them to budget themselves, like paying bills, a mortgage, car loan etc... when you only earn 3 million dollars US a year!!
                      http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X