Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest Soviet General/Leader?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Greatest Soviet General/Leader?

    Just a question to the forum here who do you think was the greatest military leader in the USSR during WWII? Could be any branch, not only generals also lower ranks like colonels etc.

    I read the memoirs of General Petrenko (whose troops liberated Auschwitz) and he seemed to have a high regard for Konev, not so much for Zhukov. This came to my mind after reading what Andrey wrote about the fellow who loved Rokossovskiy and said Zhukov was terrible.

  • #2
    Soviet Military Leaders of WWII

    I'm not voting on this question with this posting, but wanted to pass along that the Battlefield Leader in Armchair General issue 10 (September 05) will be Zhukov. The issue is a little ways down the road for this forum thread, but wanted to make sure forum readers of this thread got a 'head's up' on a related article.
    J.D. Morelock
    Editor in Chief
    Armchair General Magazine

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by joea
      Just a question to the forum here who do you think was the greatest military leader in the USSR during WWII? Could be any branch, not only generals also lower ranks like colonels etc.

      I read the memoirs of General Petrenko (whose troops liberated Auschwitz) and he seemed to have a high regard for Konev, not so much for Zhukov. This came to my mind after reading what Andrey wrote about the fellow who loved Rokossovskiy and said Zhukov was terrible.
      Colonel I. Starinov (Soviet wrecker No. 1 of all times!)
      Marshal Vasilevsky
      Marshal Rokossovsky
      Marshal Zhukov (even if anybody dislike him)
      If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

      Comment


      • #4
        Aja, Forgot General I.E.Petrov and Marshal Krylov
        If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

        Comment


        • #5
          I suppose that Amvas is joking here!!!! (I mean Starinov, Petrov and Krylov).

          I wrote opinion of veteran who spoke bad words about zhukov AS ABOUT MAN not as about military leader. It is different things.
          Man can be terrible person bu genius of strategy.

          My opinion about best Soviet military leaders:
          Zhukov,
          Vasilevskiy,
          Rokossovskiy,
          Konev

          Comment


          • #6
            My opinion about best Soviet military leaders:Zhukov.He lead RKKA to every victory in eastern front.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Andrey
              I suppose that Amvas is joking here!!!! (I mean Starinov, Petrov and Krylov).

              I wrote opinion of veteran who spoke bad words about zhukov AS ABOUT MAN not as about military leader. It is different things.
              Man can be terrible person bu genius of strategy.

              My opinion about best Soviet military leaders:
              Zhukov,
              Vasilevskiy,
              Rokossovskiy,
              Konev
              Nope, I'm not kidding. I really consider I.Starinov to be among Zhukov, Vasilevsliy etc. Nevermind that he was colonel (for 60 years). He was a god of wrecks! If his ideas had been properly implemented he'd be as great as marshals. Unfortunately he had great contradictions with Stalin and some other Soviet military leaders...

              As for Krylov, only fact that he took part in Odessa, Sevastopol and Stalingrad battles can tell you much about this man. Often he was a head of headquarters. Later he commandered the 5th Army and after war was head of Soviet Strategic Forces. This fact affected on him, as strategic weapons always were top secret.

              General Petrov...ok, he commandered Coastal Army in Odessa and Sevastopol battles. He's not very famous in offensive operations, but in defensive I consider him among the most experienced...
              If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JD Morelock
                I'm not voting on this question with this posting, but wanted to pass along that the Battlefield Leader in Armchair General issue 10 (September 05) will be Zhukov. The issue is a little ways down the road for this forum thread, but wanted to make sure forum readers of this thread got a 'head's up' on a related article.
                Man I hope I get that earlier than the 1st of August or I'll have to have my dad hold it for me while I'm at Boot.

                Its a good question though... I can only bring up Konev and Zhukov immediately in my mind. Are there any other really famous generals?
                The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

                Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
                  ...
                  Its a good question though... I can only bring up Konev and Zhukov immediately in my mind. Are there any other really famous generals?
                  Of course!
                  Marshal Tolbukhin,
                  Marshal Meretskov,
                  Gen. Tchernyakhovsky,
                  Gen. Vatutin
                  Gen. Potapov

                  Much more others...I simply can't name all names in my mind just now
                  If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Beloborodov!!! (for me he's always been the incarnation of the Siberians that saved Moscow)

                    also

                    1.Rokossovski
                    2.Vassilevski
                    3.Zhukov (You can't enumerate the greatest soviet commanders w/o naming Zhukov whether you like it or not..)
                    4.Vatutin
                    5.Tcherniakhovski

                    I would also add the Black Sea commander (Admiral Kuznetsov?)
                    “Die in peace my brothers, but die quietly, so that we hear nothing but the faintest echo of your suffering…”

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by amvas
                      Nope, I'm not kidding. I really consider I.Starinov to be among Zhukov, Vasilevsliy etc. Nevermind that he was colonel (for 60 years). He was a god of wrecks! If his ideas had been properly implemented he'd be as great as marshals. Unfortunately he had great contradictions with Stalin and some other Soviet military leaders...
                      How many divisions could he command? He was saboteur leader not military leader.

                      As for Krylov, only fact that he took part in Odessa, Sevastopol and Stalingrad battles can tell you much about this man. Often he was a head of headquarters. Later he commandered the 5th Army and after war was head of Soviet Strategic Forces. This fact affected on him, as strategic weapons always were top secret.
                      I practically didn't hear about this man. In any case it was not person of Zhukov's and Rokossovsliy's scale.

                      And you wrote his AFTER-WAR rank Marshal, I think that during WWII he was only Colonel or Major General.

                      General Petrov...ok, he commandered Coastal Army in Odessa and Sevastopol battles. He's not very famous in offensive operations, but in defensive I consider him among the most experienced...
                      Yes, I heard about this man. But he also is not equal to Rokossovskiy's and Konev's scale.
                      Last edited by Andrey; 14 Dec 04, 00:27.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by amvas
                        Of course!
                        Marshal Tolbukhin,
                        Marshal Meretskov,
                        Gen. Tchernyakhovsky,
                        Gen. Vatutin
                        Gen. Potapov

                        Much more others...I simply can't name all names in my mind just now
                        Who is Potapov? As I remember he was commander of one of the armies which took part in border battle in June-July of 1941.

                        You mix different scale commanders. It is the same that to compare platoon commander with regiment commander.
                        Last edited by Andrey; 13 Dec 04, 21:17.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Trigger Happy
                          Beloborodov!!! (for me he's always been the incarnation of the Siberians that saved Moscow)

                          also

                          1.Rokossovski
                          2.Vassilevski
                          3.Zhukov (You can't enumerate the greatest soviet commanders w/o naming Zhukov whether you like it or not..)
                          4.Vatutin
                          5.Tcherniakhovski

                          I would also add the Black Sea commander (Admiral Kuznetsov?)
                          Kuznetsov was Chief of Navy of USSR and he realy was excellent military leader.
                          Last edited by Andrey; 13 Dec 04, 21:18.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Ok, you began to speak about good generals so also there are following good generals:

                            1. Marshal Shaposhnikov
                            2. Marshal of aviation Novikov
                            3. Marshal of artillery Voronov
                            4. General Katukov (Commander of 1st Guards Tank Army)
                            5. Marshal Malinovskiy
                            6. General Shtemenko (worked in General Staff of RKKA)
                            7. General Chuikov

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              ok ok then, i'll reduce my choice to my top 3

                              1.Rokossovski
                              2.Vassilevski
                              3.Zhukov

                              The classics, eh!
                              “Die in peace my brothers, but die quietly, so that we hear nothing but the faintest echo of your suffering…”

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X