Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody left?

Are there any survivors left here?

I have a question about memoirs. Over the years I have read numerous Soviet memoirs such as Red Road from Stalingrad and Victims, Victors, yet I have yet to have found a memoir that can be equated to something like The Forgotten Soldier by Sajer. Many times the authors' writing is meandering, often going into pre-war or even sometimes post-war flashbacks. More importantly, I'm looking for a memoir which has something to say about Soviet basic infantry training. I'd like to read about the example of one particular camp, learn how far soldiers would be sent from their home towns, and so on. Details are most important.

Also, if anyone knows where I can get a PDF copy of the Red Army Infantry manual(1936 I believe), I would be much appreciative.

Sorry, I cant help, but I'm listening as well.
    ...Its one of our V-8's...Pursuit Special on methane, super hot!

Comment

Also, if anyone knows where I can get a PDF copy of the Red Army Infantry manual(1936 I believe), I would be much appreciative.
      Do you mean РУКОВОДСТВО для БОЙЦА ПЕХОТЫ ?

There is here but not in PDF formate.

http://www.rkka.msk.ru/bibl.shtml
      There are no Nazis in Ukraine. Idiots

Comment

Originally posted by Cmde.Slavyanski View Post
        Are there any survivors left here?

I have a question about memoirs. Over the years I have read numerous Soviet memoirs such as Red Road from Stalingrad and Victims, Victors, yet I have yet to have found a memoir that can be equated to something like The Forgotten Soldier by Sajer. Many times the authors' writing is meandering, often going into pre-war or even sometimes post-war flashbacks. More importantly, I'm looking for a memoir which has something to say about Soviet basic infantry training. I'd like to read about the example of one particular camp, learn how far soldiers would be sent from their home towns, and so on. Details are most important.

Here you are - the description of the training camp takes up about a third of the book. http://militera.lib.ru/memo/russian/..._uk/index.html

As for Sajer, Baron Munchausen's traditions are still less popular in Russia than in Germany
        www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

I think both of those will do nicely, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmde.Slavyanski View Post
            Also, if anyone knows where I can get a PDF copy of the Red Army Infantry manual(1936 I believe)
            May be 1938? There was no infantry manual issued in 1936 as far as I'm aware.

Comment

I was pretty sure it was 1936, but it's been a long time.

I wanted to ask a question about this: http://www.rkka.msk.ru/bibl.shtml

Are there any Muscovites here who have seen this book in print? It would be far easier for me to buy it.

Comment

Part I of the infantry manual of 1938 is available online, for example:
                http://rufort.info/lib/boevoy-ustav-...-1-bup-38-1939
                or elsewhere.
                As for old or rare books try http://www.alib.ru/

Comment

Been a long time tovarish, hope everything is well. Very interesting stuff, are you planning on translating some of this material? I certainly am hungry to read as much as I can on the GPW from the personal level.

Comment

Glad to see you again. I don't know if I ever mentioned it in the past but several years ago I was trying to write some kind of novel based on the GPW, but I ran into a brick wall because there was a lot more research I needed to do and I didn't have the time to do it in. In the last few years, that situation has changed.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with this information, but it will certainly go a long way toward filling in the gaps. The thing about trying to write a historical novel is that when you actually start to try it, you suddenly realize that there are so many details you need to know. Pop history and even scholarly military history works often can't fill in those details, and even memoirs don't help(at least individually).

In any case, I don't have much time for forums these days, but I'll be around from time to time.

Thanks to everyone for the links. I'm sure they will prove very helpful.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X