Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoPref
    replied
    You could hear the drone of aircraft engines at a greater distance than the unaided ear.

Also the horns capture sound from a narrow direction. You can adjust azimuth and elevation until the sound came through the loudest. With several units spaced a good distance apart doing this, you can get a fix on the location and altitude of the incoming aircraft.

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    What does one hear? Is it just like human ear but just further?

Leave a comment:

• Domenic
    replied
    Originally posted by ShAA View Post

In Leningrad a dozen of blind people were employed as operators of these devices, according to several articles I've read. People with impaired vision often develop a very sharp sense of hearing in compensation, and it was reported they could even tell the type and number of enemy planes approaching the city at long distances. I haven't seen any exact measurements or other statistical data, though.
    Extremely informative, many thanks.

Leave a comment:

• ShAA
    replied

In Leningrad a dozen of blind people were employed as operators of these devices, according to several articles I've read. People with impaired vision often develop a very sharp sense of hearing in compensation, and it was reported they could even tell the type and number of enemy planes approaching the city at long distances. I haven't seen any exact measurements or other statistical data, though.

Here's one of the articles: http://translate.google.com/translat...hp%3Fid%3D5302

Leave a comment:

• amvas
    replied
    Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
    Weren't those used for counter-battery fire?
    I heard that's what the better Artillery Divisions used them for.
    For the counter-battery fire were used some kind of similar equipment, but can't say which exactly

Leave a comment:

• Domenic
    replied
    Originally posted by amvas View Post

As for its abilities ZT-5 could detect targets up to 9 km with +-3 deg. angle error.
    (Got from Zefirov's book)
    Great pics! But who had these for use in "41. My understanding is that these units picked up the Luftewaffe bombers approaching the Crimea on the 22nd of June, '41.
    Last edited by amvas; 26 Nov 12, 02:51.

Leave a comment:

• The Exorcist
    replied
    Weren't those used for counter-battery fire?
    I heard that's what the better Artillery Divisions used them for.

Leave a comment:

• amvas
    replied

1944 year The 6th Separate Battalion, Leningrad Front.

ZT-5 Sound detector stations 1945

ZT-5 from Finnish museum
    More here
    http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/v/...vehicles/zt-5/

ZT-5

ZT-2 stations, 1936

Also ProzhZvuk-4 stations were used (synchronized searchlight + sound detector)

As for its abilities ZT-5 could detect targets up to 9 km with +-3 deg. angle error.
    (Got from Zefirov's book)
    Last edited by amvas; 25 Nov 12, 03:07.

Leave a comment:

• Domenic
    started a topic Sound Detectors

Sound Detectors

Anyone have any info on the aircraft sound detectors used by the Soviets as to ranges and who exactly had them? Thanks

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X