Russian Cavalry WWII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Cavalry WWII

Does anybody know anything about Russian Cavalry units in WWII. All I know is they rode horses, pretty basic.
    Where they considered Elite?
    Where they based on an Infantry Battalion Platoons, Company ECT?
    What type of small arms where predominant or was it a mixture?
    One life so make it a happy one, it truly is too short to **** away.

Originally posted by Jack
    Does anybody know anything about Russian Cavalry units in WWII. All I know is they rode horses, pretty basic.
    Cavalry was used very widely by USSR for all time of war.

It was equipped by Cossacks mainly.

There were Cavalry Divisions and Corps.

Cavalryman had sabre and carbine.

Cavalry could be used for cavalry attacks or as usual infantry (in this case horses were used only for moving to frontline).

Cavalry was very useful if it was used cirrectly. Horses didn't need roads and fuel, they could be used as food in case of encirclement.

Command used cavalry for raids in enemy rears and moved in zone of breakthrough or in weak places of enemy defence. Germans in weak positions were scared by attacks of huge masses of cavalry.

In 1942-43 Red Army Command used Horse-Mechanized Groups for Advance operations. It was combination of tanks and cavalry. In that time Red Army had no enough trucks or armored troop-carriers for Mechanized Infantry and used Cavalry instead of it.

Comment

I have to note that the number of cavalry formations both in Axis and Soviet troops increased in the course of war.
      Unfortunately the role of cavalry is decreased very much. It's because exist opinion that cavalry had been used for attacks on horsebacks.
      In reality cavalry formations were used like mobile infantry. In combats horses usually were staying in rears...

Sorry, now I have not much time for Cavalry OOBs, but hope once to make them...

As far as I know, they were equipped with common small arms (carbins, submachineguns)
      If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Originally posted by amvas
        I have to note that the number of cavalry formations both in Axis and Soviet troops increased in the course of war.
        Unfortunately the role of cavalry is decreased very much. It's because exist opinion that cavalry had been used for attacks on horsebacks.
        In reality cavalry formations were used like mobile infantry. In combats horses usually were staying in rears...

Sorry, now I have not much time for Cavalry OOBs, but hope once to make them...

As far as I know, they were equipped with common small arms (carbins, submachineguns)
        Do you know if they where considered Elite?

Comment

I have to disagree. They could be used as infantry but it was not always (for example, in defence and during attcks against well-fortofied positions). But they also were used for classic sabre attacks. I remember that I saw documentary photos and films when large amount of Cavalrymen are rushing with naked swords between attacking T-34s. Sabre attacks were usual thins during raids of cavalry in German rears and in those conditions where it was useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey
            I have to disagree. They could be used as infantry but it was not always (for example, in defence and during attcks against well-fortofied positions). But they also were used for classic sabre attacks. I remember that I saw documentary photos and films when large amount of Cavalrymen are rushing with naked swords between attacking T-34s. Sabre attacks were usual thins during raids of cavalry in German rears and in those conditions where it was useful.
            I'll say in other words. They could be used for sabre attacks, but it was more exception than rule. Don't rely only on photos and movies.
            Of course if there existed conditions sabre attacks could be used, but again, horses were more transport than combat force...

Comment

Do you know if they where considered Elite?
              To some degree. Elite usually was Guards units.

Comment

Originally posted by amvas
                To some degree. Elite usually was Guards units.
                So, some where and some where not. Depending on what type of unit they belonged to. Is that correct?

Comment

So, some where and some where not. Depending on what type of unit they belonged to. Is that correct?
                  OK, let's speak about Elite units.

Before WWII USSR had no Guards units (it is not only about Cavalry). There were some best units but they had no name Guards.

Cavalry was beloved, legendary troops before war. Actions of 1st Horse Army were very successful in Civil war. All most famous Soviet militaries - Voroshilov, Budennyy, Timoshenko were from 1st Horse Army of time of Civil war. People singed songs about Cavalry.

Directly before war some Cavalry units were disbanded and their personnel was sent in tank troops and aircraft.

In USSR in WWII units became "Guards" units if they proved in batte that they are best. First Guard units were units which beated Germans in Yelnya in 1941. Then Tank Brigade of Katukov became 1st Guard Tank Brigade after its large success nearly Mtsensk in October of 1941.

After end of Stalingrad battle some Armies got rank Guard. 62nd and 64th Armies became 6th and 7th Guards Armies.

Later 1st Tank Army of Katukov became 1st Guard Tank Army.

Guard units got brand new equipment and better replacements (it is about quality) first of all. Guard units had better morale, soldiers and offices were proud that they are Guard.

If to speak about Cavalry I personally do not know about concrete famous Guard units but I am not large expert and I suppose that there were Guards Cavalry units.

If to speak about concrete famous Cavalry units so I recall about very succesful actions of Cavalry Corpss of Generals Belov and Dovator.

If to return to quality of Cavalry units so best Cavalrymen were Cossacks. There were not Cavalry units which had name "Cossaks" but most part of Cavalry units contained Cossacks manly.

Cossacks trained to ride from childhood, it was their custom - fathers learned sons to be Elite Cavalrymen.

Comment

Andrey,

Actually the 62nd Army became the 8th Guards Army (5 May 1943) and the 64th became the 7th Guards Army (1 May 1943).

There were 121 Guards Rifle Divisions formed during the war (2 twice). Another 12 were formed immediately after the war in Europe ended, 2 from regular Rifle Divisions and the rest from the Guards Airborne Divisions.

There is also a rumor going around that an additional 7 Guards Rifle Divisions (No. 130 to 136) wer formed also after the war, but that is so far unconfirmed [that is from the soldat.ru web site].

Regards,

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Konev
                      Andrey,

Actually the 62nd Army became the 8th Guards Army (5 May 1943) and the 64th became the 7th Guards Army (1 May 1943).
                      Thanks for correction, I made mistake.

There were 121 Guards Rifle Divisions formed during the war (2 twice). Another 12 were formed immediately after the war in Europe ended, 2 from regular Rifle Divisions and the rest from the Guards Airborne Divisions.
                      What do you mean when you use term "formed"?

If you mean "newly organized divisions" so I disagree with you that only 2 usual divisions were re-formed in Guards divisions. I know that some usual divisions (may be, nearly 10, I do not remember exactly) got new name and became Guards Divisions after Yelnya advance operation in 1941, it is well-known fact in Russia. If you want I can find names of these divisions.

And question was about Cavalry. If you have enough data, please answer for our comrade about Cavalry units.

Comment

Andrey,

I was answering about the Guards Rifle Divisions. WHat I meant was that the Regular Rifle Divisions were awarded 'Guards' and given a new number. Only the Guards Airborne Divisions were created new.

I have the information on the Guards Cavalry Divisions at home. I will answer within 24 hours.

Craig

Comment

Thanks

Hi Guys
                          Thanks for all your info regarding Calvary in WWII.

Comment

Cavalry Organization of RKKA

A good source for info on your Cavalry units is Zaloga and Ness
                            Red Army Handbook. Tells a lot about them from before the war to the end. Numbers and weapons and organization worth every penny ....or kopeck.
                            asiaticus

Comment

Originally posted by Konev
                              Andrey,

I was answering about the Guards Rifle Divisions. WHat I meant was that the Regular Rifle Divisions were awarded 'Guards' and given a new number. Only the Guards Airborne Divisions were created new.
                              Yes, I agree with it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X