Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Russia's War-Blood Upon The Snow...Any Good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R. Evans
    started a topic Russia's War-Blood Upon The Snow...Any Good?

Russia's War-Blood Upon The Snow...Any Good?

Just started watching Russia's War-Blood Upon The Snow on Youtube. It's broken down into 10 parts. So far I'm liking it but I got to wondering how our resident experts on the RKKA here at ACG felt about it. My knowledge about the Eastern Front is superficial at best so is this documentary a good starting point or should I look elsewhere. Keep in mind I don't speak Russian, so that's one avenue that's closed although subtitles don't bother me at all.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

The 1st installment of the series:

• Konzev
    replied
    Amazon.ca

Amazon.ca also has the best variety of Russian War Films, as in Doc's and in DVD:

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...+patriotic+war

Leave a comment:

• Konzev
    replied
    Amazon.ca link

uup's

here is the link again:
    http://www.amazon.ca/Red-Army-Artem-...3628908&sr=1-4

And I also recomend this one, done in a simular fashion:

http://www.amazon.ca/Russian-Battles...3629395&sr=1-3

Leave a comment:

• Konzev
    replied
    Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    Just started watching Russia's War-Blood Upon The Snow on Youtube. It's broken down into 10 parts. So far I'm liking it but I got to wondering how our resident experts on the RKKA here at ACG felt about it. My knowledge about the Eastern Front is superficial at best so is this documentary a good starting point or should I look elsewhere. Keep in mind I don't speak Russian, so that's one avenue that's closed although subtitles don't bother me at all.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

The 1st installment of the series:

Back to the topic !

Those are very interesting, using a lot of special effects and computer animation:
    There are some newer docs released in the UK, in collaboration with Russia TV station 1:

1.) RED ARMY

Released in Canada on Amazon.ca
    [URL="http://www.amazon.ca/Red-Army-Artem-Drabkin/dp/B00851EPWK/ref=sr_1_4?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1353628908&sr=1-4"][YOUTUBE]http://www.amazon.ca/Red-Army-Artem-Drabkin/dp/B00851EPWK/ref=sr_1_4?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1353628908&sr=1-4
    From Youtube (couldn'd find the English language version)

Leave a comment:

• 1st cavalry
    replied
    Originally posted by Erkki View Post
    The connection between German troop placement and Soviet actions
    Oh, yes.
    Let us give pause for a moment and think :
    How many German troops would there be available for the battle of France , if
    the soviet union simply kept a ambiguous position wrt Germany in late 1939, spring 1940 ?
    Far less than in actual timeline, I would not go as far as ShAA and label it a Eastern betrayal but it certainly did not help allied cause at all.

Leave a comment:

• Erkki
    replied
    Originally posted by dmf01 View Post

Berlin wall was their common border
    Possibly for the WP and NATO, but for the US and USSR? I do not believe that was the case. A political border perhaps

Leave a comment:

• Erkki
    replied
    Originally posted by 1st cavalry View Post
    you quoted my reply to this :

The collision course with Germany was set immediately after Hitler's rise to power. Until the Munich Betrayal there were possibilities of creating a collective security network against the German threat. After Czechoslovakia had been presented to Hilter on a silver platter and torn apart jointly by Germany and Poland, the Soviet foreign policy was revised.

so... what part of my reply do you not follow ?
    The connection between German troop placement and Soviet actions

Leave a comment:

• Erkki
    replied
    no it not , please elaborate.
    Political breakdown of relations.
    what is irrelevant? your digression about perception or
    lack of common borders ?
    The need for a common border for political relations to deteriorate.
    They may very well be.

thank you for your opinion , now lets hear the arguments.
    Why would you thank me for my opinion?
    Already given.

Leave a comment:

• dmf01
    replied
    Originally posted by ShAA View Post

This is not to mention its Western neibours were a pack of jackals which bit off whatever pieces they could get when Russia was weak during the Civil War and WWI. When the tables turned, they started crying foul.
    Not forgetting that they were parts of Russia not so far before

Besides I do not understand what you mean by no "common border". It is actually quite a nonsensical statement as fast as one actually bothers to consider a minor thing called reality. To make a very simple analogue. US and USSR had no common border during the cold war, that didnīt keep them from being on a collision course during basicly the whole cold war and a bit afterwards.
    Berlin wall was their common border

Leave a comment:

• 1st cavalry
    replied
    So... what are you going at?
    you quoted my reply to this :

The collision course with Germany was set immediately after Hitler's rise to power. Until the Munich Betrayal there were possibilities of creating a collective security network against the German threat. After Czechoslovakia had been presented to Hilter on a silver platter and torn apart jointly by Germany and Poland, the Soviet foreign policy was revised.

so... what part of my reply do you not follow ?

Leave a comment:

• 1st cavalry
    replied
    Dear Heavens, isnīt that obvious?
    no it not , please elaborate.
    Of course it is, the very foundation of the perception of the scientificlogic is open or interpretation but that is a other matter. Any way it is irrelevant
    what is irrelevant? your digression about perception or
    lack of common borders ?
    It is.
    thank you for your opinion , now lets hear the arguments.

Leave a comment:

• Erkki
    replied
    No.
    So... what are you going at?

Leave a comment:

• Erkki
    replied
    your point ?
    Dear Heavens, isnīt that obvious?
    It is a statement of fact, not open to interpretation. A common border existed only after 1939.
    Of course it is, the very foundation of the perception of the scientificlogic is open or interpretation but that is a other matter. Any way it is irrelevant

the advancement made in nuclear weaponry, strategic missiles , bombers and submarines make this anything but a simple analogue.
    It is.
    Last edited by Erkki; 02 Nov 12, 12:09.

Leave a comment:

• 1st cavalry
    replied
    So you are saying that SU attacked Germany?
    No.

Leave a comment:

• 1st cavalry
    replied
    Eh... Hitler quite clearly stated beyond any reasonable doubt that he didnīt like commies. USSR was quite dense with so called commies at the time. Besides that Old Adolf liked the idea of "living space". It isnīt exactly a very advanced concept to understand, especially as Adolf made short work of his internal commies inside Germany. Then we have the little fuzz in Spain with both sides taking sides.
    your point ?
    Besides I do not understand what you mean by no "common border". It is actually quite a nonsensical statement as fast as one actually bothers to consider a minor thing called reality.
    It is a statement of fact, not open to interpretation. A common border existed only after 1939.

To make a very simple analogue. US and USSR had no common border during the cold war, that didnīt keep them from being on a collision course during basicly the whole cold war and a bit afterwards.
    the advancement made in nuclear weaponry, strategic missiles , bombers and submarines make this anything but a simple analogue.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X