Heavy Guards Mortar Regiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Guards Mortar Regiment

Can anyone help with the composition of a Heavy Guards Mortar Regiment (гв. тмп) in the latter half of 1942?

In various books like Sharp's and Zaloga's I can only find what the battalions and later brigades looked like. Only for the "normal" Guards Mortars are units of regimental size mentioned.

Snefens

What are you up to, updated version of FitE?
    Wisdom is personal

Comment

Actually it's for a scenario covering Aug-Nov 1942 with similar format as my other Leningrad scenario: http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/sce...Leningrad-1944
      Snefens

Comment

The 'Heavy' Guards Mortar units were originally formed starting in mid-1942 as Separate Battalions, each 3 batteries of 32 4-rocket frame launchers each.
        Most of these were combined into Heavy Guards Mortar Brigades starting in late 1942, each brigade with 5 battalions, equipped ten with M-30 rockets. By the end of 1942 these were being combined into Guards Mortar Divisions, each with 4 regiments equipped with 132mm rockets (BM-13 or M-13) and two brigades equipped with heavy M-30s. In early 1943 most of the divisions were re-equipped with all heavy rockets: 3 brigades each with 4 battalions each with 3 batteries of 24 launchers each.

M-30 regiments were a temporary 'outlier'. Only three were formed, in September 1942, each with three separate M-20/M-30 battalions. The regiments were:
        1st Heavy Guards Mortar Regiment
        .....served in 1st Guards and 66th Armies from 6 September to 18 December 1942, then was disbanded so the separate battalions could be used to form Brigades.
        2nd Heavy Guards Mortar Regiment
        .....served in 66th Army from 6 September to 16 December 1942, then was reorganized to form 17th Guards Mortar Brigade.
        3rd Heavy Guards Mortar Regiment
        .....served in 64th Army from 31 October to 23 December 1942, then was disbanded to release separate battalions to form Guards Mortar Brigades.

Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks for the help. I had suspected they were a dead-end evolution in the Guards Mortar units.

However, you say that only 3 were formed, but if looking at for instance BSSA for Oct.1st 1942, it list the three you mention, but also others like

81st Heavy Guards Mortar Regiment in 2nd Shock Army
          69th Heavy Guards Mortar Regiment in Volkhov Front
          82nd Heavy Guards Mortar Regiment in 11th Army (with a battalion in 34th Army

There are a few others, but those are just the ones in the area I was looking in to.
          The 69th appears already on the BSSA July 1st list, suggesting it was formed sometime in June
          Snefens

Comment

Thanx for the corrections - went back through my entire database on the Guards Mortar Regiments, and can add the following:

68th Guards Mortar Regiment
            ....formed from 4 separate Heavy Battalions in June 1942 in STAVKA Reserves
            Sent to 30th Army in July, back to Western Front Reserves in August, back to 30th Army in October 1942, on 25 December 1942 was used to form 13th Guards (Heavy) Mortar Brigade

69th Guards Mortar Brigade
            .....Formed from 3 separate Heavy Battalions in STAVKA Reserves in June 1942, sent to 30th Army in July, to 8th Army in August, to 39th Army in November 1942, on 21 December 1942 used to form 10th Guards (Heavy) Mortar Brigade

77th Guards Mortar Regiment
            .....Formed from 4 separate Heavy Battalions in Moscow Military District in June 1942; Sent to the front on 5 July, assigned to 3rd Tank Army in August 1942, Kalinin Front in September 1942 and various armies around the Moscow/Western Front area for the rest of 1942 and 1943. This regiment remained in existence to the end of the war, but I suspect that it was re-equipped with lighter rocket launchers at some point, because in 1943 all the other Heavy units were either separate battalions or Brigades.

81st Guards Mortar Regiment
            .....Formed from 3 separate Heavy Battalions in June 1942 in the Moscow Military District, assigned to 11th Army after 11 July 1942, on 21 December 1942 was used to form 11th Guards (Heavy) Mortar Brigade.

82nd Guards Mortar Regiment
            ....Formed from 3 separate Heavy Battalions in June 1942 in the Moscow Military District, assigned to 11th Army on 9 July 1942, on 7 January 1943 was incorporated into the 8th Guards (Heavy) Mortar Brigade.

304th Guards Mortar Regiment
            ....Formed in the Moscow Military District in September 1942, was assigned to 3rd Shock Army on 20 November 1942, used to form 12th Guards (Heavy) Mortar Brigade on 19 December 1942. There is no direct evidence in my files that this unit was equipped with heavy M20/M30 rockets except for the fact that it was used to form a Brigade equipped with those.Consider this one 'not certain' unless someone has a more definitive history of the unit.

Comment

Thank you.
              Snefens

Comment

I second the thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X