Originally posted by nkvd
    Hello all, just joined....
    Welcome aboard nkvd!

Dr. S.

Leave a comment:

• nkvd
    replied
    Russia

Hello all, just joined....I have been on a few military tours to Russia (6 times in all). here are the things to see (I'll do it by city):

St.Petersburg-
    Central Naval Museum:A must see, one of my favorites.
    Submarine Museum: Old WWII sub, i forget the number, worth a walk around.
    Aurora: I was able to have dinner twice with Admiral Lev Chernavin, head of the Aurora Museum and ship, a super guy, great visits. Stay in the St.Petersburg hotel right across from it.
    Church of the Spilt Blood: Visit the market for some military pic ups ( don't look for marshals uniforms, but nice little items to take home).
    Smolny Musuem: Not easy to get into, but a little museum on the WWII siege
    Piskarovskoye (sp?): Amazing display of the suffering of the city
    Baltic Fleet Museum: On Khronsdat, small but nice
    Trench Lines: outside the city, still intact if a bit overgrown

Moscow:
    Central Armed Forces Museum: Great, changing displays, amazing colelction of unit flags
    WWII Museum on Polknaya (sp?) Hill: Dark inside, but really nice displays.
    Zhukov Museum: Inside General Staff HQ; if you can get in, its terrific.
    KGB Museum: Used to be difficult to get into, now its pretty easy.
    Border Troops Museum: Little Known, but really great. Usually not easy to get into.
    Museum of Militay Uniforms: took me years to get in; got in in 2002; examples of every uniform of the USSR inside, including some prototype Stalin uniforms
    Monino Air Force Museum: Great walk around, but never seems to change.There is another air field museum...i foget the name, but they were cutting up airplanes last time i was there and we took parts home..
    Kubinka: used to be tough to get into ( back in 1998 it was; but we got to ride on a T-34 through the mud and then have lunch with the officers)now its becoming more touristy, with bus parking and a ticket booth!
    Star City: ok, its a space museum / complex, but really neat.

I am sure there is more in moscow, just can't remember right now.

Kiev:
    WWII museum: nice, though some odd displays
    Afgan war museum: get to sit in an Mi-24!
    Border Troops Museum: smaller than the one in moscow, but worth a drop in

Kursk:
    Battle Museum in the city: Ok, not ver impresssive

Prokorovka:
    Battle Museum: small but well done
    Rokosovsky HQ: underground, still set up, neat.

Stalingrad:
    Battle Musuem: really well done, though the flour mill is just incredible

The battlefield itself: amazing,we found everything back in 1998 still on those fields, but much less in 2002.

Sevastopol:
    Black Sea Fleet Museum: small, ok, like a little cental naval museum
    WWII museum: well done, on a hill overlooking the charge of the light brigade scene

I know I am leaving stuff out, but Ill add more when i think of it.

Leave a comment:

• Andrey
    replied
    There is "Cruiser Aurora" in the Center of St.Petersburg. It is real WWI time cruiser which took part in Revolution of 1917. It is floating museum now, anyone can visit it and to look ALL places of this cruiser.

This cruiser took part on Tsishima Battle in 1905.

Leave a comment:

• RichardS
    replied
    Originally posted by Oleg Grigoryev
    I assume that you meant Monino. In terms of museums there are also tank museum at Kubinka and Central Armed Forces Museum -all 3 either in or around Moscow.
    Yes, Monino. I guess I combined Monino and Borodino. I apologize for that. I'd still love to visit Monino and Kubinka though.
    :flag:

Leave a comment:

• menel
    replied
    Originally posted by hogdriver
    I know from writing to my pen pal that many larger cities have some sort of WWII memorial - not surprising, considering the terrible volume of loss. I know that there is a special monument at Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad), a large statue on a hill overlooking the city, and a memorial listing the names of the battle's victims. You can probably contact the tourism office at the Russian Embassy - they are good about following up inquiries.
    It's on the Mamayev Kurgan. I think it's the biggest statue in the world.

Leave a comment:

• Jon@lbc
    replied
    st petersburg, formerly leningrad... I think Is probably worth a try

Leave a comment:

• Jon@lbc
    replied
    In another thread we were talking about pavlovs house in Stalingrad which is now Volgograd you might wanna see that

Leave a comment:

• hogdriver
    replied
    Originally posted by mgenberg
    Just curious about visiting Russia and perhaps seeing some of the locations of the famous battles. Are there any particular good cities to visit, in terms of getting a feel for the battle and perhaps museums/monuments?
    I know from writing to my pen pal that many larger cities have some sort of WWII memorial - not surprising, considering the terrible volume of loss. I know that there is a special monument at Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad), a large statue on a hill overlooking the city, and a memorial listing the names of the battle's victims. You can probably contact the tourism office at the Russian Embassy - they are good about following up inquiries.

Leave a comment:

• menel
    replied
    When you stand on it you can understand why it was so importand. Because the western bank of Volga is high and the eastern low and flat you have a vew for many miles.

Leave a comment:

• mgenberg
    replied
    That's really where I'd like to visit -- Volgograd. That's great that Pavlov's House is visitable. What about the Mamayev Kurgan -- is that worth a visit?

Any trip to Russia would be incomplete without a stop in St. Petersburg and Moscow, and thanks for the museum listing.

Leave a comment:

• menel
    replied
    All fans of "Call of Duty" should visit Volgograd to see the real Pavlov's house. There's also a great panorama of the battle.

Leave a comment:

• amvas
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardS
    Morodino (SP?) is the Air Force Museum. I would give my eye teeth to be able to wonder around it for a long time.

I planned to visit Kubinka this year with handycam, but failed being very buzy 8(

Leave a comment:

• amvas
    replied
    Originally posted by mgenberg
    Just curious about visiting Russia and perhaps seeing some of the locations of the famous battles. Are there any particular good cities to visit, in terms of getting a feel for the battle and perhaps museums/monuments?
    Of course main cities are Moscow, Volgograd(Stalingrad), Kursk, St. Petersburg (Leningrad).
    Most museums are in Moscow or around it.
    Poklonnaya Gora - Museum of the Great Patriotic war
    Museum of Soviet/Russian Army
    Monino - museum of aviation
    Kubinka-Museum of tanks
    (two latter needed to be visited in group staff)
    Museum of T-34 also exists near Moscow

Leave a comment:

• dannybou
    replied
    There must be some wonderful sites in and around Volgograd, Kharkov, Kiev, St-Petersburg, Kursk. What a trip that would be.

Leave a comment:

• Oleg Grigoryev
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardS
    Morodino (SP?) is the Air Force Museum. I would give my eye teeth to be able to wonder around it for a long time.

I assume that you meant Monino. In terms of museums there are also tank museum at Kubinka and Central Armed Forces Museum -all 3 either in or around Moscow.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X