Good places to visit in Russia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good places to visit in Russia?

Just curious about visiting Russia and perhaps seeing some of the locations of the famous battles. Are there any particular good cities to visit, in terms of getting a feel for the battle and perhaps museums/monuments?
    -Marc

Originally posted by mgenberg
    Just curious about visiting Russia and perhaps seeing some of the locations of the famous battles. Are there any particular good cities to visit, in terms of getting a feel for the battle and perhaps museums/monuments?
    Morodino (SP?) is the Air Force Museum. I would give my eye teeth to be able to wonder around it for a long time.

:flag:
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
      Morodino (SP?) is the Air Force Museum. I would give my eye teeth to be able to wonder around it for a long time.

I assume that you meant Monino. In terms of museums there are also tank museum at Kubinka and Central Armed Forces Museum -all 3 either in or around Moscow.

Comment

There must be some wonderful sites in and around Volgograd, Kharkov, Kiev, St-Petersburg, Kursk. What a trip that would be.
        http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Of course main cities are Moscow, Volgograd(Stalingrad), Kursk, St. Petersburg (Leningrad).
          Most museums are in Moscow or around it.
          Poklonnaya Gora - Museum of the Great Patriotic war
          Museum of Soviet/Russian Army
          Monino - museum of aviation
          Kubinka-Museum of tanks
          (two latter needed to be visited in group staff)
          Museum of T-34 also exists near Moscow
          If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS

I planned to visit Kubinka this year with handycam, but failed being very buzy 8(
            If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

All fans of "Call of Duty" should visit Volgograd to see the real Pavlov's house. There's also a great panorama of the battle.

Comment

That's really where I'd like to visit -- Volgograd. That's great that Pavlov's House is visitable. What about the Mamayev Kurgan -- is that worth a visit?

Any trip to Russia would be incomplete without a stop in St. Petersburg and Moscow, and thanks for the museum listing.
                -Marc

Comment

When you stand on it you can understand why it was so importand. Because the western bank of Volga is high and the eastern low and flat you have a vew for many miles.

Comment

I know from writing to my pen pal that many larger cities have some sort of WWII memorial - not surprising, considering the terrible volume of loss. I know that there is a special monument at Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad), a large statue on a hill overlooking the city, and a memorial listing the names of the battle's victims. You can probably contact the tourism office at the Russian Embassy - they are good about following up inquiries.
                    Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

In another thread we were talking about pavlovs house in Stalingrad which is now Volgograd you might wanna see that
                      All warfare is based on deception.

Comment

st petersburg, formerly leningrad... I think Is probably worth a try
                        All warfare is based on deception.

Comment

Originally posted by hogdriver
                          I know from writing to my pen pal that many larger cities have some sort of WWII memorial - not surprising, considering the terrible volume of loss. I know that there is a special monument at Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad), a large statue on a hill overlooking the city, and a memorial listing the names of the battle's victims. You can probably contact the tourism office at the Russian Embassy - they are good about following up inquiries.
                          It's on the Mamayev Kurgan. I think it's the biggest statue in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Oleg Grigoryev
                            I assume that you meant Monino. In terms of museums there are also tank museum at Kubinka and Central Armed Forces Museum -all 3 either in or around Moscow.
                            Yes, Monino. I guess I combined Monino and Borodino. I apologize for that. I'd still love to visit Monino and Kubinka though.
                            Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

There is "Cruiser Aurora" in the Center of St.Petersburg. It is real WWI time cruiser which took part in Revolution of 1917. It is floating museum now, anyone can visit it and to look ALL places of this cruiser.

This cruiser took part on Tsishima Battle in 1905.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X