Mannerheim Line trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mannerheim Line trip

Here are some pics I took from a tour to the Mannerheim line. The guides were Roman Petrov and Vladimir Chekunov (who consulted the producers of "Fire and Ice" documentary about the Winter War). Both worked for the "Silver Ring" company.

The tour took place in the end of November, obviously scheduled for the anniversary of the beginning of the war, however there was no snow in sight. We rode on our bus to the Kamenka area about 100 kms from St. Petersburg. Our first destination was the Summakula sector in the western part of the Mannerheim line:

Our guides, dressed in Schutzkorps uniforms with Viipuri province sleeve patches

Shell craters on the way to Sk2 bunker

Remnants of an anti-tank ditch

Finally, the bunker itself. It was assaulted unsuccessfully by the Soviet infantry with great losses and after a thorough artillery preparation which lasted for a couple of weeks in January it was finally blown up on February 2, 1940. The assault squad, which suffered a 75% KIA rate, managed to pull a 50kg demolition charge to the top of the bunker and blew a hole in its wall. Despite this, the Finns managed to recapture the bunker in a counterattack for a short time, but in a couple of days the bunker was totally destroyed and held firmly in the Soviet hands.

Chekunov and the group are standing close to the same place where a T-28 was stopped to block the fire from the bunker's embrasures. The place of the demolition is quite clearly visible.

The top of the bunker where additional charges were detonated

www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Periscope cap

The bunker is pretty big and has a corridor leading to an infantry shelter

Chekunov points to the crappy quality of concrete - even rifle bullets could leave relatively big scars and depressions on it

Wall of the shelter

General view from the direction of Soviet attacks

Our next destination was Sk10 bunker, which secured a large swath of open field. On the way to the bunker we passed by a Finnish war grave

Entrance to the bunker

View from the bunker, which was practically blown to bits

To be continued
    www.histours.ru

Comment

Fascinating stuff:- really excellent.
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Excellent threads as always. Keep up the great work!
        "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
        -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

A Winter War reenactment was scheduled for the same day so the tour organisers decided to include it in the itinerary. It took place on a historical battleground to the northwest of the bunkers we'd visited earlier. According to the scenario, it was one of the early skirmishes of the war in the forefield of the main fortified line, sometime around the first 10 days of December 1939.

Finnish army mans the trenches

Soviet troops begin the attack, supported by a BA-20 amoured car

A Ba-3M joins them in a few minutes

An all-out attack begins

The first trench is captured

The end of the whole action was a bit garbled, with some of the participants ending the fighting earlier than they were supposed to. The finns were driven back and a Red Banner was planted on a tree above the first trench.

Some after-action shots

www.histours.ru

Comment

Check out this rather professionally edited video of the reenactment - a news report on the tour and the reenactment at a locat TV station. See one of the Finns shoot a real freaking Lahti-Saloranta machinegun, which I forgot to take a picture of. It's better watched in an expanded view - lots of pixels, but still better than this tiny box.

http://www.fontanka.ru/2011/11/27/009/

More pics

The battle ended in fraternisations with the bloody henchmen of the oppressors of the Finnish proletariat

Which was clearly a provocation of enemy liquor and sausage producers

Let's roll!

To be continued - "Poppius" and "Millionaire" bunkers
            Last edited by ShAA; 21 Jan 12, 05:40.
            www.histours.ru

Comment

Our next destination was the Summa fortified region and the bunkers located in the narrow defile between the never-freezing bog Munasuo and lake Summajarvi. The two "millionaire" bunkers (Sj4 "Poppius" and Sj5 "Millionnaire") with several flanking fire embrasures stopped the advance of the Red Army for a month and a half.

Description of the fighting in this area from the book by A. Isaev "Anti-Suvorov: 10 myths of WWII", chapter 2 "Millionaires":

Both bunkers shot through the whole valley with their flanking fire, covering the approaches to each other's front walls. The infantry attacking along the valley was met by a storm of lead which came from unknown directions. Beside the "Le Bourge" casemate, Sj4 had a frontal fire casemate which controlled the sector of Boboshino-Vyborg road. Because of that "Poppius" was identified rather quickly. Conversely, Sj5 "Millionaire" was only detected by the detachment commander Parminov in the end of December, in a night reconnaissance raid. This comes as a small surprise: from the side of the attacking troops this flanking casemate was invisible and its blind wall was covered with stones and snow.

On December 18 the Sj4 and Sj5 "millionaires" which suddenly came to life, produced a shocking impression on the advancing Red Army troops. According to the Soviet intelligence on the fortifications in this area, the Summajarvi fortified region had to consist of 2-3 frontal firing bunkers (built in 1920s and designated Sj2, 3 and 7 in 1939), which didn't require any significant forces for their destruction. However, the two strong flanking fire bunkers appeared to be an insurmountable task for one Rifle division, albeit reinforced with the 91st tank battallion of the 20th Heavy Tank brigade, equipped with T-28s. The tanks broke through ahead, but the machineguns of Sj4 and Sj5 cut off their infantry support. After that the Finnish infantry shot the unsupported tanks with their 37mm Bofors AT guns and threw Molotov cocktails at them.
              Both bunkers were only captured in the first days the "Timoshenko offensive" (February 10, 1940), after meticulous reconnaissance and a month of daily pounding with high caliber shells.

The top of the "Poppius" bunker

The bunker was really huge, spanning for almost 50 meters long

The "Millionnaire" was about a kilometer and a half away from it. We walked along a line of Dragon's Teeth which was broken in a few places by Soviet engineers.

Gap in the line

Approaches to the "Millionaire", which was thoroughly demolished after the battle

Vladimir points in the general direction of Red Army's attacks on the bunker

View of the bunker in the winter of 1940

Hole blasted by demolition charges

The end

www.histours.ru

Comment

Appendix

Schematics of the Sj5 "Millionaire" bunker

www.histours.ru

Comment

Fantastic thread, ShAA! Thanks for sharing your photos.
                  Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Yes, very good stuff and timely, as I just started reading a book on The Winter War.
                    Blackcloud6

Refighting World War II - One hex at a time!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcloud6 View Post
                      Yes, very good stuff and timely, as I just started reading a book on The Winter War.
                      If you get too carried away, you might order this kind of artwork for your car

www.histours.ru

Comment

f you get too carried away, you might order this kind of artwork for your car
                        Is that your car?

The book I am reading is: The Winter War: Russia's Invasion of Finland, 1939-1940 by Robert Edwards.
                        Blackcloud6

Comment

Very nice Sasha...
                          "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                          "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcloud6 View Post
                            Is that your car?

The book I am reading is: The Winter War: Russia's Invasion of Finland, 1939-1940 by Robert Edwards.
                            Good Book, so good I thought, that I felt moved to write a review on thee Amazon (U.K.) website.

A rare event for me.

(Mind you ,the author did compare the Mannerheim Line with Offa's Dyke, which is drawing one hell of a long bow- and there are numerous typos ).
                            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                              Good Book, so good I thought, that I felt moved to write a review on thee Amazon (U.K.) website.

A rare event for me.

(Mind you ,the author did compare the Mannerheim Line with Offa's Dyke, which is drawing one hell of a long bow- and there are numerous typos ).

I'm just a few chapters into the book and it does have a wealth of information, about the political and Finnish strategic situation leading up to the conflict. These are parts of the story I knew little about so the book has already shown value. The writing style, though, comes across to me as if this book was originally a doctoral thesis.

I look forward to the parts about the the fighting.
                              Blackcloud6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X