Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NKO Orders

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NKO Orders

    Anyone know of where I can find a complete list of NKO orders in English?

    Orders of the Soviet NKO (People's Commissariat for Defense)

    The Soviet People's Commissariat for Defense was the highest military body in the USSR from 1934 to 1946. It was preceded by the "People's Commissariat for Military and Naval Affairs" (Narkomvoenmor) during the 1920s and early 1930s, and was succeeded in 1946 by the USSR Ministry of Armed Forces.
    At the head of the NKO was the People's Commissar for Defense, a role initially held by Kliment Voroshilov from 1925 to May, 1940. Voroshilov was followed by Semyon Timoshenko, who held the position until just after the German invasion of the Soviet Union at which point Stalin took over the position for the remainder of the war.
    Only a partial list is here, and the links are to Russian language sites only.
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

  • #2
    Hello Nick,

    Sorry for the lateness of my reply. AFAIK there is no full English translation of orders and missives issued by the Soviet Commissariat of Defense during the war. However, you will probably have to wait for Alex to log in for a more definitive answer, since he knows this area much better than I do.

    On the other hand, if there are orders pertaining to a specific date/battle/location that you are interested in, I could try to locate them and provide you a translation.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
      Anyone know of where I can find a complete list of NKO orders in English?
      Only a partial list is here, and the links are to Russian language sites only.
      I don't know about the list in English, but here it is in Russian: http://www.soldat.ru/doc/nko/

      Are you looking for something specific?
      Kind regards
      Igor

      * My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
      * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
      * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by skoblin View Post
        Hello Nick,

        Sorry for the lateness of my reply. AFAIK there is no full English translation of orders and missives issued by the Soviet Commissariat of Defense during the war. However, you will probably have to wait for Alex to log in for a more definitive answer, since he knows this area much better than I do.

        On the other hand, if there are orders pertaining to a specific date/battle/location that you are interested in, I could try to locate them and provide you a translation.
        Originally posted by Egorka View Post
        I don't know about the list in English, but here it is in Russian: http://www.soldat.ru/doc/nko/

        Are you looking for something specific?
        Thanks and +1 will be posted asap.

        It was just order 325 dated 16th October 1942 iirc that initially caught my eye. Thgis is the one that states Soviet tanks should not be engaging Axis tanks where possible, and was still in effect at Kursk. I was wondering if there were any other gems amongst those orders?
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
          Thanks and +1 will be posted asap.

          It was just order 325 dated 16th October 1942 iirc that initially caught my eye. Thgis is the one that states Soviet tanks should not be engaging Axis tanks where possible, and was still in effect at Kursk. I was wondering if there were any other gems amongst those orders?
          Oder 325.
          paragraph I.5: "Artillery is the main countermeasure agianst enemy tanks. Tanks are to fight against enemy tanks only in case of apparent superiority and advantageous disposition."

          paragraph I.11: "... Tank corps is not to engage enemy tanks unless there is apparent superiority. Upon encountering large enemy tank force, the tank corps assigns its antitank artillery units and number of tanks; the infantry in its turn is also to provide antitank units; thus the corps shielding itself, flanges with main forces the enemy tank forces and attacks the enemy infantry with the goal of cutting them from the enemy tanks paralysing them.
          Tank corps main objective - annihilation of enemy's infantry. ...
          "
          Kind regards
          Igor

          * My grandfathers WW2 memoirs - Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, 1944-1945.
          * On the question of "2 mil. rapes" by RKKA
          * Verdicts of RKKA Military Tribunals for crimes against civilians in 1945

          Comment

          Latest Topics

          Collapse

          Working...
          X