X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golani
    replied
    Originally posted by Orry Main View Post
    Is that what makes this monument noteworthy?
    I don't think so.

This is a small, while noteworthy, event that got blown out of proportions

Natanya, the place were the monument will be erected, is one of the largest concentrations of Russian emigrants in Israel, it is also home to a lot of Red Army veterans, that's it.

Leave a comment:

• Orry Main
    replied
    Originally posted by Golani View Post
    I tried googling but there's no list.

From the top of my mind I can place just one, for ANZAC troops, just because it's not too far from one of the Gaza strip bases in which I served.

I remember at least 1 other for U.S troops but can't remember its location.
    I'm sure there are more.

The are also other forms of perpetuation like the soccer team named Beitar Nes Tubruk F.C ("the Tubruk miracle")-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beitar_Nes_Tubruk_F.C.
    Is that what makes this monument noteworthy? That Israel has embraced the contribution of the western allies to the defeat of Nazi Germany, but has been rather lukewarm in celebrating in a similar manner the contribution of the Red Army. The fact it has taken seventy years to build a monument to them would indicate a certain reluctance on the part of the Israeli state to recognise it formally.

Leave a comment:

• Golani
    replied
    I tried googling but there's no list.

From the top of my mind I can place just one, for ANZAC troops, just because it's not too far from one of the Gaza strip bases in which I served.

I remember at least 1 other for U.S troops but can't remember its location.
    I'm sure there are more.

The are also other forms of perpetuation like the soccer team named Beitar Nes Tubruk F.C ("the Tubruk miracle")-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beitar_Nes_Tubruk_F.C.

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    Post #11
    That post pertains to Jewish soldiers.......

The memorial in discussion pertains to the Red Army.........meaning the USSR.

Where are the monuments dedicated the other countries not Jewish soldiers amidst their ranks that contributed to the defeat of Nazi Germany?

Leave a comment:

• Golani
    replied
    Originally posted by Salinator View Post
    Where? I seem to have missed it.........
    Post #11

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    Like I stated in an earlier post- yes.
    Where? I seem to have missed it.........

Leave a comment:

• Golani
    replied
    Originally posted by Salinator View Post
    Are there monuments of the other allies that all contributed to the ultimate defeat of Nazi Germany?
    Like I stated in an earlier post- yes.

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    Are there monuments of the other allies that all contributed to the ultimate defeat of Nazi Germany?

Leave a comment:

• lirelou
    replied
    I'm guessing he was a State dept. employee that didn't know his rear from rifle.
    No, he was a sharp regular army officer who was also a Foreign Area officer and spoke Russian fluently. However, he was, if memory serves, a Military intelligence officer.

Leave a comment:

• Legate
    replied
    Originally posted by lirelou View Post
    Interesting in that such is what I had thought. I wonder where my old Prof got his information. It's a little late to ask him now.
    I'm guessing he was a State dept. employee that didn't know his rear from rifle.

Leave a comment:

• Golani
    replied
    Originally posted by Orry Main View Post
    It seems a bit late in the day for this? Why has it taken so long?
    There are quite a few memorials commemorating Jewish soldiers in WWII, including those that served in the Red Army (the most important of which is probably at mt. Hertzel, the national cemetery) this is just another.

Leave a comment:

• Emtos
    replied
    Better later than never.

Leave a comment:

• Orry Main
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Golani
    replied
    Originally posted by lirelou View Post
    Interesting in that such is what I had thought. I wonder where my old Prof got his information. It's a little late to ask him now.
    Maybe you can dig up some of your old notebooks?

This is definitely a first for me, not only in the sense that I KNOW it's not the case, but also looking objectively from the side- I can't figure out how anything we did is reminiscing of Soviet doctrine.

Leave a comment:

• lirelou
    replied
    most however served in the British military and these were those who were chosen to be the backbone of the IDF, they based our entire doctrine on the British army (so much that some of the basic text books we use today are nothing but a translation of British doctrine books), this lasted mostly unchanged until the 80's when we started adopting large chunks of the American doctrine.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X