Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel to erect monument to Red Army defeat of Nazi Germany

Israel to erect monument to Red Army defeat of Nazi Germany

A monument commemorating the Red Army's victory over fascism will appear in the Israeli city of Netanya.

A scale model has just been unveiled at Moscow's Second World War Museum. It was designed by Russian artists following an initiative by the leaders of both countries.

The monument will be the first in Israel to be dedicated to Soviet forces. Work on it has already begun on the Mediterranean coast. It will be finished next year.
    In related news 3 years ago:

www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Posted it like 6 months ago:
    http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=106546

Comment

Those bloody communists, I say we bomb them all.

Red Commie scum.

Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
        Right, now they've finalised the decision and started the construction.
        www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

I recall my Command and General Staff college instructor in 1976 commenting that the 1973 War was a clash between a Soviet equipped Egyptian Army using British tactics, a Western (largely US) equipped Israeli Army using Soviet tactics. This individual was a Jewish Foreign Area Officer who had done two tours in the USSR, and he pointed out that many of the founders of Israel's Army were in fact Soviet Army veterans. Something that was a great surprise to the class, who had always presumed that the Egyptians would follow Soviet doctrine, and the Israelis Western military doctrine.

No surprise, then, that it is remembered in Israel.
          dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

Comment

Originally posted by lirelou View Post
            I recall my Command and General Staff college instructor in 1976 commenting that the 1973 War was a clash between a Soviet equipped Egyptian Army using British tactics, a Western (largely US) equipped Israeli Army using Soviet tactics. This individual was a Jewish Foreign Area Officer who had done two tours in the USSR, and he pointed out that many of the founders of Israel's Army were in fact Soviet Army veterans. Something that was a great surprise to the class, who had always presumed that the Egyptians would follow Soviet doctrine, and the Israelis Western military doctrine.

No surprise, then, that it is remembered in Israel.
            I'd be glad to hear the explanations, this is a first for me and you can't say the topic is strange to me.

The Egyptians weren't only Soviet equipped but also had a strong presence of Soviets "consultants" a large some of them operated their AA system and flew their planes on attack missions.
            I'm also not very knowledgeable of Soviet doctrine but some of the things the Egyptians did seemed like they were stright out of their text books (for instance bypassing the Suez canal outposts).

As for the IDF- some of it's first members were in fact in the Red Army regulars or partisans (or U.S, ANZAC and so on), most however served in the British military and these were those who were chosen to be the backbone of the IDF, they based our entire doctrine on the British army (so much that some of the basic text books we use today are nothing but a translation of British doctrine books), this lasted mostly unchanged until the 80's when we started adopting large chunks of the American doctrine.

Comment

most however served in the British military and these were those who were chosen to be the backbone of the IDF, they based our entire doctrine on the British army (so much that some of the basic text books we use today are nothing but a translation of British doctrine books), this lasted mostly unchanged until the 80's when we started adopting large chunks of the American doctrine.
              Interesting in that such is what I had thought. I wonder where my old Prof got his information. It's a little late to ask him now.

Comment

Interesting in that such is what I had thought. I wonder where my old Prof got his information. It's a little late to ask him now.
                Maybe you can dig up some of your old notebooks?

This is definitely a first for me, not only in the sense that I KNOW it's not the case, but also looking objectively from the side- I can't figure out how anything we did is reminiscing of Soviet doctrine.

Comment

It seems a bit late in the day for this? Why has it taken so long?

Comment

Better later than never.
                    There are no Nazis in Ukraine. Idiots

Comment

Originally posted by Orry Main View Post
                      There are quite a few memorials commemorating Jewish soldiers in WWII, including those that served in the Red Army (the most important of which is probably at mt. Hertzel, the national cemetery) this is just another.

Comment

I'm guessing he was a State dept. employee that didn't know his rear from rifle.
                        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

I'm guessing he was a State dept. employee that didn't know his rear from rifle.
                          No, he was a sharp regular army officer who was also a Foreign Area officer and spoke Russian fluently. However, he was, if memory serves, a Military intelligence officer.

Comment

Are there monuments of the other allies that all contributed to the ultimate defeat of Nazi Germany?
                            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                              Are there monuments of the other allies that all contributed to the ultimate defeat of Nazi Germany?
                              Like I stated in an earlier post- yes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X