Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siege of Leningrad day by day 1941-2011

August 30, 1941

1. Last train arrives to Leningrad from the mainland. The train station of Mga is lost to the Germans after 2 days of desperate Soviet counterattacks. German troops continue their march towards lake Ladoga meeting little to no opposition.

2. German attempt to cross the Neva river was thwarted by the fire of 2 underbuilt destroyers which raised their flags on that day. Several tanks on pontoons were reported sunk by the fire of their 130mm guns.

3. Same ships supported the Workers' Militia battallion of Izhora factory workers, who had had their first engagement with the enemy a couple kilometers to the south of Kolpino the day before. Armed with hastily found training rifles, the 900 workers held their ground and counterattacked the enemy for nearly a month until regular army detachments took over their positions.

4. The State Defense Committee decrees to organise a supply route to the city across the Ladoga lake. Hundreds of people were sent to the western coast of the lake to build piers, dredge the shallow lake bed to make approach passages for the ships and build port facilities for what would later be called the Road of Life.

Attached Files
    www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

August 31, 1941

1. The Baltic Fleet completes its "Tallin passage". On August 27 the first ships sail from the port of Tallin which was the main naval base of the Baltic fleet after the annexation of Estonia. The ships, split into a 4-part convoy, suffered heavily from numerous air and submarine attacks of the German and Finnish navies. Of the 40 000 naval personnel and their families, 12 000 perished in the Baltic waters in 3 days. 13 naval ships and several transports were lost. The main battleships, however, safely arrived to Kronstadt and provided invaluable assistance to overland troops in repelling German attacks and suppressing their siege gun batteries. Most sailors were decommissioned from their ships to serve as naval infantry.

2. Finnish troops enter Zelenogorsk (Terijoki).

Attached Files
    Last edited by ShAA; 31 Aug 11, 14:43.
    www.histours.ru

Comment

September 1, 1941

1. On this day the 23rd army received the order to retreat to the old Soviet-Finnish border of 1939. The front on the northern approaches to the city stabilised, although the Finnish troops crossed the old border line by several kilometers in many places. The Finnish troops stopped at the distance of 500m - 1km from the bunkers of Karelian Fortified Region and ceased active offensive actions in this area.

2. The STAVKA noted the High Command of the Leningrad Front that the defence of the approaches to Leningrad is executed with insufficient organisation and persistence, and demanded to take more active measures to strehngthen the city's defenses.

September 1, 1941. 6.40am. The STAVKA considers the tactics of the Leningrad Front detrimental for the city's defense. The Leningrad Front is preoccupied with only one task - how to retreat and find new lines of retreat. Isn't it time to finish with the "heroes of retreat"? The STAVKA allows you to retreat one last time and demands that the Leningrad Front would gather the strength to honestly and tenaciously defend the cause of Leningrad's defence. J. STALIN, B. SHAPOSHNIKOV
      Leningrad schoolchildren going to their schools with flower bunches. September 1, 1941.

www.histours.ru

Comment

That's quite fascinating:- more, please !!
        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
          That's quite fascinating:- more, please !!
          Indeed keep it up.

Comment

September 2, 1941

Daily food rationing norms are lowered from 800 grams of bread for workers, 600 grams for clerks and 400 grams for non-working people and children (introduced on July 18, 1941 countrywide), to 600 for workers, 400 for clerks and 300 for the rest.
            www.histours.ru

Comment

Thanks ShAA for the posts - very interesting.

Comment

Mind your manners

Hey guys stop it. ShAA told me we should make commentary in other, dedicated threads, and I agree. Let's keep this perfectly chronological. If you have info to contiribute, do so, but not commenting; otherwise start another thread. Don't ramble here. ShAA, feel free to delete this when its run its course.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomas_ View Post
                  Hey guys stop it. ShAA told me we should make commentary in other, dedicated threads, and I agree. Let's keep this perfectly chronological. If you have info to contiribute, do so, but not commenting; otherwise start another thread. Don't ramble here. ShAA, feel free to delete this when its run its course.
                  Thanks, Tuomas. Just like I said, feel free to add any important events you consider worth mentioning, preferably on the same day they happened 70 years ago.
                  www.histours.ru

Comment

September 3, 1941

1. The Military Council of the Leningrad Front decreed that each city district is obliged to send 5 000 people to build fortifications. The city total was 75 000. Afterwards it was calculated that 17 000 firing positions with embrasures were constructed inside the buildings through the efforts of the city's population and the military. Concrete bunkers and wooden defences were built at the most threatened directions, along with many other defensive structures.

2. Dmitry Shostakovich finished the first part of his 7th "Leningrad" symphony

3. Several Finnish army detachments cross the Sestra river - the old Soviet-Finnish border.

Attached Files
                    www.histours.ru

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                      September 3, 1941

1. The Military Council of the Leningrad Front decreed that each city district is obliged to send 5 000 people to build fortifications. The city total was 75 000. Afterwards it was calculated that 17 000 firing positions with embrasures were constructed inside the buildings through the efforts of the city's population and the military. Concrete bunkers and wooden defences were built at the most threatened directions, along with many other defensive structures.

2. Dmitry Shostakovich finished the first part of his 7th "Leningrad" symphony

3. Several Finnish army detachments cross the Sestra river - the old Soviet-Finnish border.

For those with the ears to listen,Shostakovich's superb 7th Symphony ("The Leningrad") tells in music the story of the siege.
                      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                        For those with the ears to listen,Shostakovich's superb 7th Symphony ("The Leningrad") tells in music the story of the siege.
                        For those with the eyes to see, again, let's not comment here, it'll too easily distract the chronology thread. Just add new information on the events. I'm hunting for some possibly illuminating documents from the Finnish National Archive, I hope I'll be able to find and post them in time.

That said, I happen to have some formal education in classical music, and Shostakovich's 7th is indeed excellent. It's uncertain if he intended it to end up "the story of the siege", but the themes of battle, suffering, and bravery do fit that popular interpretation very well. A stubbornly original musician, he was often butting heads with official requirements: he was deunounced already in 1936 but bounced back next year with the 5th Symphony; the oddball 1939 "Suite on Finnish Themes" to be premiered in Helsinki was commissioned against his wish; the 8th Symphony of 1943 got banned until 1956 and the 9th lead to his second denunciation. He's truly one of the great composers and my all-time favorites.

But let's not discuss the events (let alone classical music) here but in separate threads. Obviously this thread is going to be hundreds of posts from ShAA alone.

Comment

Tuomas, I've given it a thought - maybe we shouldn't discourage people from making short posts with their comments as long as they don't start flames or floods here. If someone has the information which contradicts what I've posted here he's welcome to send it to me and I'll insert it in the post as "According to the other sources, it happened this way". Or, if is too late for me to edit (this function disappears after posting 3 more posts), I think the mods will help me do this.

What I would especially like to see here on this forum is the new posts discussing the issues mentioned in my day-by-day posts or related to them. For example, you could make a post on the refusals of Finnish soldiers to cross the old border in September 1941.
                          www.histours.ru

Comment

September 4, 1941

1. The first artillery shelling of Leningrad was made by several siege guns deployed in the area of Tosno. In the house №10 on Romenskaya street 15 were wounded, among them 5 children. 11 people were killed, among them 3 children.

Victims of one of the first shellings of Leningrad. Early September, 1941.

2. The German advance towards the city along the left bank of the Neva was stopped by the 4th People's Militia division.

3. On this day, in order to make the less than meager supplies of flour last longer, the Leningrad City Executive Committee decreed to add 12% of malt, soy and oat flour, 2,5% of ground press cake and 1,5% of bran.

4. The high command of the Baltic Fleet completed its artillery deployment in the defensive network of Leningrad. Ships, forts, railway batteries now possess 338 heavy long range guns.

Attached Files
                            www.histours.ru

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomas_ View Post
                              For those with the eyes to see, again, let's not comment here, it'll too easily distract the chronology thread. Just add new information on the events. I'm hunting for some possibly illuminating documents from the Finnish National Archive, I hope I'll be able to find and post them in time.

That said, I happen to have some formal education in classical music, and Shostakovich's 7th is indeed excellent. It's uncertain if he intended it to end up "the story of the siege", but the themes of battle, suffering, and bravery do fit that popular interpretation very well. A stubbornly original musician, he was often butting heads with official requirements: he was deunounced already in 1936 but bounced back next year with the 5th Symphony; the oddball 1939 "Suite on Finnish Themes" to be premiered in Helsinki was commissioned against his wish; the 8th Symphony of 1943 got banned until 1956 and the 9th lead to his second denunciation. He's truly one of the great composers and my all-time favorites.

But let's not discuss the events (let alone classical music) here but in separate threads. Obviously this thread is going to be hundreds of posts from ShAA alone.
                              Certainly-and without going into details I am also an enormous Sibelius enthusiast.
                              Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X