My Favorite Holiday Gift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Favorite Holiday Gift

A couple years ago, I discovered an outfit called Heifer International, or rather my family did. Heifer has been around for over sixty-five years and their focus is on making poor people around the world agriculturally self-sufficient. They do it by using charitable contributions to give livestock to poor farmers – not simply slaughter livestock, but livestock which provides continuing income: sheep for wool, dairy cows for milk, chickens for eggs, oxen and water buffalo as surrogate tractors, etc. All of the animals provide manure used as organic fertilizers in other crops.

Heifer also provides veterinary support and education in animal husbandry. Furthermore, their giving includes a requirement to “Pass on the Gift,” which means the recipients commit to giving a proportion of the offspring from their animal to their neighbors. Heifer is not simply helping individual farm families; it is building successful agricultural communities.

For the last couple years, my mother-in-law has told her kids not to buy her a present. Instead she has them chip in and buy a water buffalo. She’s retired and living on Social Security and a teacher’s pension, so it’s not as if she’s rolling in money. Doesn’t matter. I think if you wait until you can afford to do the world some good, it’s going to be too late.

Find a way this holiday season to make the world a little better place.

Here’s a link to the Heifer International site.

More...

Feed Source

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X