German Views on the Afghan War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Views on the Afghan War

What do the Germans think of the Afghan War? And why should we care? Two reasons.

First, they have combat troops fighting and dying in Afghanistan, and that gets them the right to an opinion.

Second, they are an increasingly influential voice in European and NATO affairs. Our days of going it alone are pretty much past us, so what NATO thinks matters.

Make that three reasons — what they think is pretty interesting. Here’s a Der Spiegel article with a nice sample of columns from the left, right, and center.

More...

Feed Source

Hello Great History,

unfortunatley in contra to the US government, the German government is not giving the means towards the Army to fullfill their job. As such every single German soldier who has been or is in Afghanistan, is basically totally demotivated and fustrated.

That Afghanistan can't be just left behind on its own is obvious- since it would inevitably bring back the Taliban into power - which certainly would be off no benefit to the rest of the world.

The question is on how willing the German government will be to extend certain means to the Army so as to fullfill their job - personally I do not see a big chance for that happening.

The other question of course is Karsai and his ever corrupt government, his desolate and despised ANP and the not much better faring ANA, even though improvement is in sight. The other major problem is on how to handle these numerous warlords. So far it is only cash that keeps them in place - but doesn't hinder them to cooperate with the Taliban.

As long as Karsai and his clique is in place their isn't much hope for improvement at all.

So to me:

Bring back our troops - since they are not given the means to do their job.
    It will be the German government that will have to face the question of its allies - not our soldiers. And off course something needs to be done about Karsai and his clique.

Regards
    Kruska

Comment

Originally posted by Kruska View Post
      Hello Great History,

unfortunatley in contra to the US government, the German government is not giving the means towards the Army to fullfill their job. As such every single German soldier who has been or is in Afghanistan, is basically totally demotivated and fustrated.

That Afghanistan can't be just left behind on its own is obvious- since it would inevitably bring back the Taliban into power - which certainly would be off no benefit to the rest of the world.

The question is on how willing the German government will be to extend certain means to the Army so as to fullfill their job - personally I do not see a big chance for that happening.

The other question of course is Karsai and his ever corrupt government, his desolate and despised ANP and the not much better faring ANA, even though improvement is in sight. The other major problem is on how to handle these numerous warlords. So far it is only cash that keeps them in place - but doesn't hinder them to cooperate with the Taliban.

As long as Karsai and his clique is in place their isn't much hope for improvement at all.

So to me:

Bring back our troops - since they are not given the means to do their job.
      It will be the German government that will have to face the question of its allies - not our soldiers. And off course something needs to be done about Karsai and his clique.

Regards
      Kruska
      I feel for the Bundersheer... the flap over the skull and the DAK emblem was utter nonsense. Also I think denying the KSK the "Brandenburger " heritage is down right sad. Germans are very sensitive the their military history.... I wonder if it has gone to far.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X