Texas Education and Political Correctness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Education and Political Correctness

If you like political correctness, you’re going to love Texas primary and secondary education. The Texas Board of Education – an elective board – has been taken over by a block of ideologically-driven “reformers” who are rewriting the textbooks to reflect their own brand of politically correct thought. The fact that their thinking is way, way to the right of center is beside the point. PC is PC.

Here are some of the things they’ve decided to change in Texas social studies textbooks.

* Removed Thomas Jefferson, author of the Declaration of Independence,*from the list of revolutionary Enlightenment thinkers because he coined the term “separation of church and state.”

* Removed “responsibility for the common good” from the list of characteristics of citizenship.

* Required that all uses of the term “democratic societies” be replaced with “societies with representative governments,” presumably because young children would find that phrase so much easier on the tongue.

* Eliminated all references to The Age of Enlightenment.

There is a certain internal logic to that last one, it seems to me.

For a longer column on this from the always-entertaining former Texas Secretary of Agriculture Jim Hightower, follow this link.

More...

Feed Source

Could be worse, they might be forcing Creationism into text books and forcing evolution out of them.

But then again, if I'm not mistaken, aren't they essentially the same people?

I weep for those educated in the US south. Because it's getting to seem that those educated in that region are running the real risk of having those educated there being treated as having defective damaged educations.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Great History View Post
      If you like political correctness, you’re going to love Texas primary and secondary education. The Texas Board of Education – an elective board – has been taken over by a block of ideologically-driven “reformers” who are rewriting the textbooks to reflect their own brand of politically correct thought. The fact that their thinking is way, way to the right of center is beside the point. PC is PC.

Here are some of the things they’ve decided to change in Texas social studies textbooks.

* Removed Thomas Jefferson, author of the Declaration of Independence,*from the list of revolutionary Enlightenment thinkers because he coined the term “separation of church and state.”

* Removed “responsibility for the common good” from the list of characteristics of citizenship.

* Required that all uses of the term “democratic societies” be replaced with “societies with representative governments,” presumably because young children would find that phrase so much easier on the tongue.

* Eliminated all references to The Age of Enlightenment.

There is a certain internal logic to that last one, it seems to me.

For a longer column on this from the always-entertaining former Texas Secretary of Agriculture Jim Hightower, follow this link.

More...

Feed Source
      curiosity requires that I ask. Why do you agree with eliminating references to the 'age of enlightenment'? The TX board of education is doing so because they want to pretend the revolution is somehow a Christian uprising and the founders weren't actually interested in the philosophy of Locke, Sydney, etc. Are historians actually going to go along with such dribble?

Comment

Was not aware there was any 'agreement' actually Elijah.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

perhaps I am misinterpreting the last statement about 'a certain internal logic to that last one.'

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X