A Grim Milestone In Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Grim Milestone In Afghanistan

This past week the U.S. death toll in Afghanistan passed the 1,000 mark. Over a third of those deaths took place last year, by far the bloodiest year of the war. With 54 U.S. service people dead in the first two months of 2010, we are on track for another near-record year, but you really can’t tell what’s going to happen down the road based on the last month. Things could get much better. They could get a lot worse. It’s going to be a critical year, no doubt about it.

Of course, Americans aren’t the only ones dying there. Of every 10 Coalition combat deaths in Afghanistan, 60% (1007) are U.S., 15% (266) are British, and the remaining 25% (394) are divided among 24 other Coalition nations. Among the other nations, Canada has the highest death toll (140) followed by France (40). Afghan casualties are hard to pin down, but the UN estimates somewhat over 6,000 civilian deaths to date.

Here’s a link to a detailed breakdown of coalition casualties in Afghanistan.

On a related note, eight U.S. service personnel have died so far in Iraq this year. That’s about eight more than I’m comfortable with, but it’s a big improvement over a year ago.

And on a personal note, Let me congratulate my friend Timothy Broome on celebrating his 22nd year in military service and his safe return from a tour in Iraq. Welcome home, pal, and thanks for your service.

More...

Feed Source

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X