Jihadis On The Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jihadis On The Run

On the heels of the report of the capture of Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar (see my blog from two days ago) Newsweek reports the capture of Mullah Abdul Salam, the Afghan Taliban “shadow governor” of Kunduz Province, by Pakistani intelligence officials. Salam was a very effective Taliban leader and so was near the top of the U.S.’s “most wanted” list. We don’t know if this arrest flowed from the same intelligence as that which led to the capture of Baradar, but since Salam was on his way to meet with Baradar, that’s a good bet.

Here’s a link to The Guardian, with a perspective on what this means in the broader context of Pakistani policy toward the Taliban.

This is part of a broader picture of crumbling support for al Qa’ida in particular and the jihadist movement in general throughout the Moslem world (see my blog from last January, al-Qaida and the Dustbin of History).

One of the questions I hear asked repeatedly is, “Why aren’t moderate Moslems doing something about the nut jobs?”

My answer is, “What makes you think they aren’t?”

One of the great unreported stories of the last decade has been the struggle between moderate and radical forces for the soul of the Islamic world – and the victory of those moderate forces. In the wake of 9/11, there were questions as to whether al-Qa’ida represented a snowball rolling downhill, gather velocity, momentum, and size as it went, perhaps to consume the entire Islamic world and become unstopable. Now, almost a decade later, ...

More...

Feed Source

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X