Joint Strike Fighter At Stall Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint Strike Fighter At Stall Speed

Back in December I applauded the decision to cut the F-22 Raptor funding and switch resources to increased production of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. I still think that was the right move, but it’s disappointing to see the F-35 hit bumps. The project manager, a USMC major general (two stars), was recently replaced by a Navy vice admiral (three stars). Perhaps the message is an extra star means we’re trying that much harder. I hope so; we need to try harder.

The F-22 Raptor was an exercise in conspicuous consumption and the triumph of wants over needs. The F-35 is a much more cost-effective aircraft, but costs are still escalating and everyone involved in the project seems to have a hard time not tinkering with design and specifications. Some pretty smart defense reformers have argued the problems encountered by the F-35 are the unavoidable results of a procurement system which has gone completely off the rails and I have a hard time disagreeing.

But make up your own mind on that score. Here are some good links to articles on the project’s current status.

New York Times

Center For Defense Information

Reuters

The Hill

More...

Feed Source

Why is it - every time the JSF is mentioned - that I keep thinking of the quote: "A camel is a horse designed by a committee"?
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X