Rage Is Not The Answer Laughter May Be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rage Is Not The Answer Laughter May Be

Ray Bradbury’s 1962 novel Something Wicked This Way Comes is a creepy, atmospheric novel of the struggle of a young boy, his best friend, and his aging father against the forces of evil, embodied by “Mr. Dark” and his traveling carnival. The growing sense of malevolence in the novel is oppressive, palpable, but in the end is defeated not by bolts of righteous lightning, but by simple laughter and joy.

Fast forward forty-five years.

The real-world Westboro Baptist Church is a notorious hate group masquerading as Christians. They gained international attention for boisterously picketing the funerals of US soldiers killed in action in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Their screamed message: US soldiers deserve to die because God hates homosexuals, the US does not aggressively persecute homosexuals, and these combat deaths are his just retribution. Signs emblazoned with slogans like “God Hates Fags” were accompanied by screams and taunts directed at grieving family members.

Godhatesfags.com is the church’s official web address honest.

While Westboro Baptist Church remains primarily a forum for anti-gay hatred, it has expanded its list of people God hates to include Jews, President Obama, President Obama’s daughters, Lady Gaga (I don’t make this stuff up, I just report it), and now apparently Twitter and the play Fiddler on the Roof.*

Two days ago Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, came out for dumping the military’s “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” policy and allowing gays to serve openly. I’m betting he’s a pretty good candidate for their hate list ...

More...

Feed Source

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X