Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ignore The News

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ignore The News

    Ignore the news? That sounds pretty stupid, doesn’t it? After all, the news is what’s happening and important, right?

    Not exactly.

    The news is what’s happening, important, and unusual. Dog bites man isn’t news; man bites dog is. The problem is, if you want to fix the world, you have to tackle the ordinary, not the exceptional. You have to deal with the issues screwing things up day after day after day, all over the world, the things too*common-place to make the news. So crafting policy to the news is probably the worst thing we can do.

    And yet we do it so often, because there it is. Somebody better think about that.

    Here’s the link to an excellent essay on this very thing, and the recent “underwear bomber” terror attack. Get the connection?

    Link




    More...

    Feed Source
    ___________
    http://GreatHistory.com
    "The Best Blogging in History"

  • #2
    The best way to fix the news, is to treat the news as important enough that it is more important it is given without spin and without sound bite sized portions of little use to anyone.

    We dislike the news not for what the content of the news is, but because we can't picture it not being about vested interests, about some individual only interested in making money from it.

    The whole 'the public has a right to know' line of thinking hasn't been worth squat to news reporting services for years.

    The public also has a right to be told the truth in an unbiased fashion.

    And perhaps the public simply doesn't want to be manipulated by the news.

    If I actually need to know, then just settle for just telling me the news unvarnished and untainted.

    Otherwise I don't really want to know.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by les Brains View Post

      The public also has a right to be told the truth in an unbiased fashion.
      No, they don't.

      I can't find any laws governing news media bias at all.

      The public, therefore, has no rights in this regard...

      Besides, the public is an ass...
      "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

      BoRG

      Comment


      • #4
        I've heard a few people say that because a law doesn't exist there is no obligation for this that and the other thing. However, our society also functions because we recognise moral obligations. Although the legal obligation doesn't exist for news outlets to provide a quality product there is still a moral obligation that dictates certain standards of practice. News media can be either a source of wide spread hysteria or valuable and usefull information. The media also has an obligation as a business to provide the service it advertises to its consumers. Much news media fails on both counts and consumers have failed in making their expectations known by continuing to purchase a bad product.
        Last edited by Duncan; 11 Jan 10, 15:55.
        AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
          No, they don't.

          I can't find any laws governing news media bias at all.

          The public, therefore, has no rights in this regard...

          Besides, the public is an ass...
          I said 'right' to unbiased news Paul. I never said selling us overly spun trash was a crime. Thus the law doesn't enter into it.

          I also have the right to laugh in the person's face when they offer to sell me a subscription to a newspaper.

          These are unwritten rights mind you, hardly the same calibre of right as the right to free speech, the right to breath free air, the right to exist at all.

          The TV news sources have the right to offer us garbage and we have the right to laugh at their attempts to sell us a song and dance.

          People also have the right to remain grossly under educated and vulnerable to bull.
          People have the right to go online and get their own news sources where they wish.

          I tend to get my news right here after it has been brutally filtered of all the crap it's normally soaked in.
          Even you Paul are likely a better source of information than any of the questionable media personalities on the major networks.
          Because anything you say, just like anything I say, has to be well enough presented or it gets rpped to shreds by our fellow forumites.

          Sound bites don't last long around here.
          Life is change. Built models for decades.
          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
          I didn't for a long time either.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Duncan View Post
            I've heard a few people say that because a law doesn't exist there is no obligation for this that and the other thing. However, our society also functions because we recognise moral obligations. Although the legal obligation doesn't exist for news outlets to provide a quality product there is still a moral obligation that dictates certain standards of practice. News media can be either a source of wide spread hysteria or valuable and usefull information. The media also has an obligation as a business to provide the service it advertises to its consumers. Much news media fails on both counts and consumers have failed in making their expectations known by continuing to purchase a bad product.
            Some ignore the ethical standards outlined by SPF, just like some cops ignore the laws they serve. Same thing.

            Truth in advertising though? Bigger fish to fry than Press... like the President of US or the World Bank... or Sig...
            "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

            BoRG

            Comment

            Latest Topics

            Collapse

            Working...
            X