Generational Damage: The Great Recessions Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generational Damage: The Great Recessions Legacy

World War I left a demographic hole in the French population that didn’t heal overnight. A generation of French children grew up without fathers, and that generation changed France socially, psychologically, and politically. The Great Depression contributed to the rise of fascism and World War II, but it also left generational marks on the psyche of the world population which only now are fading. What generational marks will the current Great Recession leave?

Not very good ones.

Right now the recession is apparently over but the recovery hasn’t begun. What that means I’ll leave to folks smarter than me. Even once the recovery begins, even after people start going back to work, the psychic effects of broken families and hope replaced by desperation will linger.

No group has been hit harder by the Great Recession than young people. We older farts have a lot of experiences to draw on, a lot of life lessons, and this is just one more float in the parade for us. We pull in out horns for a year and wait for things to get “back to normal.” But for those just starting out in life this is their only experience of the job market, there’s no “normal” to get back to, and some will not have the maturity to keep from giving in to despair.

The implications of generational psychological damage from this recession will be with us as long as anyone reading this column will be alive. It will affect the political stability of every industrialized nation ...

More...

Feed Source

What made the greatest generation great? Because they didn't whine like a bunch of babies. They just did what they had to do.

If we start treating people like the adults they are supposed to be, and stop letting adults act like Children, then maybe we can move away from the victim mentality rather than promote it.

On the other hand, if we keep talking about the emotional scars we get from the normal course of life's events, then we are promoting a culture that encourages emotional disability over the smallest things. We are already getting that way where people cannot function when confronted with the smallest of adversity.

Wake up America! Sure, recessions are difficult, but you really don't know what difficulty truly is. As bad as you may think you have had it, there are people out there who are truly suffering. There is real hardship out there and you have no clue. There are people out there who would revel in what you think is suffering.

Be like the greatest generation. Stop whining, shut up, grow up, and go do what you need to do.

Comment

The "Great Recession" to be honest I loathe needing to call it that, likely it will do a lot of good.

Maybe once all the youth of the world (the rich portions that is) see what a dose of 'no you can't have it' feels like, they might grow up to be better people.

Personally, I have been forcibly living within realistic means since 94, and the 'Great Recession' doesn't even exist in my life. Just business as usual to me.

I have not lost a car, not lost a house, as I have never had either.
      I have not lost a lot of things, because I have been pretty much forced to get used to the idea I will never have them a long time ago.

But I eat well, and I am dressed ok, my son has a decent computer the home has broadband, actually I live in a rather nice place. I have not slowed in buying the small things that make life pleasant.

I will NEVER be vacationing in the warm sunny tropics, but then if I was wealthy I doubt I would even want to.
      Actually, in 47 years I have experienced all of ONE only vacation (that was coming out of my pocket that is).

This great recession is really only something that is plaguing people that either plan poorly, or expect too much from life.
      The cost of a few grocery items has risen, and really has only forced me to care a bit more about reading the sales papers.
      I don't eat less bread, even though in 5 years the price has soared. But I DO really hunt for grocery items on sale so as the maximize my grocery budget more so.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X