Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Gen. David Petraeus Staying Quiet about Afghanistan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Gen. David Petraeus Staying Quiet about Afghanistan?

There are several reasons why Gen. David Petraeus may be keeping himself on the sidelines in public discussions about Afghanistan.

More...

Feed Source

No one replied to your post and when I ran a search on Petraeus to see if anyone had posted on the possibility of his running for President yours came up.

Why did Obama go along with the Pentagon in ordering in more troops to Afghanistan? Does it have some strategic value for him politically as it is being talked about in some places that General Petraeus is being considered as a Republican candidate for President in 2012. He is said to have had some interest in the Presidency in the past.

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/09/13/...s-president-2/
    According to a senior Iraqi officer who knew Gen. David Petraeus when he was stationed in Baghdad from 2004-2005, Petraeus is interested in running for President. From The Independent today:
    The US commander in Iraq, General David Petraeus, expressed long-term interest in running for the US presidency when he was stationed in Baghdad, according to a senior Iraqi official who knew him at that time.
    Sabah Khadim, then a senior adviser at Iraq’s Interior Ministry, says General Petraeus discussed with him his ambition when the general was head of training and recruitment of the Iraqi army in 2004-05.
    “I asked him if he was planning to run in 2008 and he said, ‘No, that would be too soon’,” Mr Khadim, who now lives in London, said.
    General Petraeus has a reputation in the US Army for being a man of great ambition. If he succeeds in reversing America’s apparent failure in Iraq, he would be a natural candidate for the White House in the presidential election in 2012.

There is quite a bit of discussion online about the Republicans wanting to run him as their candidate. He has said no, but given the quote above, perhaps he is just being coy for now.

I first read the idea that Petreaus was interested in being President somewhere this past couple of weeks but I cannot find the reference.

As an Old Republican, (not New Republican) I find the idea intriguing.

What do you all think of the idea?
    Homo homini lupus

Comment

In all likelihood it's a combination of both your points and links.

Ie. a. He's not stupid and given the historical precedence is unwilling to buck the COC at what he might perceive to be a detriment to the troops in the filed and their continuing now re-defined mission and b. potential political aspirations.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X